I need to be able to rename Siri.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was standing behind the kitchen island last night preparing dinner. I was also listening to the Rangers game on my iPad Pro, which was on a nearby counter. As I turned to set something on the stove, I raised my wrist and said to my Apple Watch, "Hey Siri, set a timer for 6 minutes." My iPhone 6S AND iPad Pro both said simultaneously, "OK, 6 minutes and counting..." My Apple Watch didn't say anything, but it also started a timer! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I know it's not possible now, but I'm thinking it would be handy if Apple would let us rename Siri on a device by device basis.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost positive my Watch has deferred Hey Siri requests to my iPhone when both devices have answered in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just in my head. I can't get to my Watch right now to test it.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm almost positive my Watch has deferred Hey Siri requests to my iPhone when both devices have answered in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just in my head. I can't get to my Watch right now to test it.

Hmmm. Now I'm confused. I have the watch, iPhone, and iPad all in hearing distance and say Hey Siri. The watch and iPad both respond, but the iPhone doesn't. I would have sworn all three responded the other night, but now the iPhone isn't responding when the watch does. I guess it's just the iPad with the unwanted/redundant response.

One other experiment - the iPhone and iPad both in hearing distance but not the watch. Say Hey Siri and the iPhone and iPad will both respond.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. Now I'm confused. I have the watch, iPhone, and iPad all in hearing distance and say Hey Siri. The watch and iPad both respond, but the iPhone doesn't. I would have sworn all three responded the other night, but now the iPhone isn't responding when the watch does. I guess it's just the iPad with the unwanted/redundant response.

One other experiment - the iPhone and iPad both in hearing distance but not the watch. Say Hey Siri and the iPhone and iPad will both respond.

Couldn't you just go to Settings on the iPad and turn Siri off while in the kitchen?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes I could but I'd rather live with the occasional inadvertent launching of an extra Siri than have to be turning it off and then back on. If it really gets to be an annoyance, I'm more likely to just turn off the Hey Siri option on the iPad since it's used more often on the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2