I feel like the Apple Watch is being marketed really well to people who don't currently wear watches. Or to people who just a one or two basic watches. Basically, it's a watch but better because it does so much cool stuff.

But I know a couple "watch people", and I was talking to them about the Apple Watch the other day. By "watch people", I mean people who love watches, who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on "fine timepieces" and have watch collections. I guess that's who the Watch Edition is supposed to appeal to. But the thing is none of the "watch people" I know are at all interested in any of the Apple Watches, including the Edition. They only want beautiful mechanical watches. The mechanics are part of the appeal. They talk about things like "Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute" and "COSC certification". I must admit, I don't really understand all the details, but I really don't see the Apple Watch, or any smartwatch really, cracking this market.

Do you know of these kinds of watch people? Do they want an Apple Watch?
    04-14-2015 04:40 PM
    I don't think the Apple Watch is gaining interest with "watch people"?

So what? I couldn't care less what they think.
    Les74 and Speedygi like this.
    04-14-2015 04:46 PM
    The Watch won be for everyone and it certainly wont be for everyone right out the gate. These "watch aficionados" are not who Apple are going after. Just like all other Apple devices I think Apple is trying to make smartwatches mainstream.
    04-14-2015 05:43 PM
    A million people were interested on preorder day 1. Does it matter if that million were watch aficionados?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    04-14-2015 05:53 PM
    Couldn't care less what anyone thinks....much less a watch aficionado. Although, I am looking forward to hear what my idiotic, Apple hating brother-in-law says about my purchase. The same guy that will spend $500 on a bottle of beer....
    kch50428 likes this.
    04-14-2015 06:00 PM

I bet apple cares. They are all potential customers.
    21stNow, SprSynJn and jean15paul like this.
    04-14-2015 06:26 PM
    I bet apple cares. They are all potential customers.
    You think Apple cares that the million people that bought one on day 1 are watch aficionados or not.

Ipheuria likes this.
    04-14-2015 06:33 PM
    You think Apple cares that the million people that bought one on day 1 are watch aficionados or not.

Nope. But they are clearly advertising to a high end market with their $10-17k models.
    jean15paul likes this.
    04-14-2015 06:35 PM
    Nope. But they are clearly advertising to a high end market with their $10-17k models.
    People with that type money aren't necessarily "Watch" people.

04-14-2015 06:55 PM
    People with that type money aren't necessarily "Watch" people.

OK... Still potential customers with money. They are a prospering business.
    04-14-2015 06:58 PM
    the questions is, do these "watch people" have smart phones and are they the techy type? if they have a blackberry curve to go along with their rolex? maybe i am talking out my @$$ here but i think most watch people may be of the older generation who still wear watches and dont care for the latest tech
    Ipheuria likes this.
    04-14-2015 08:28 PM

I can here that statement in a Clint Eastwood voice.
    04-14-2015 08:31 PM
    Couldn't care less what anyone thinks....much less a watch aficionado. Although, I am looking forward to hear what my idiotic, Apple hating brother-in-law says about my purchase. The same guy that will spend $500 on a bottle of beer....
    Isn't that the truth? I have family that think nothing of getting a new car every year or so, but question why I would spend the money on an Apple product.
    Les74 and SmartFah like this.
    04-14-2015 08:33 PM
    OK... Still potential customers with money. They are a prospering business.
    you should check that post about the Watch Edition try on that said the Apple Watch Edition is selling as well as the Sport and Watch models.
    04-14-2015 08:38 PM
    Isn't that the truth? I have family that think nothing of getting a new car every year or so, but question why I would spend the money on an Apple product.
    Ha you think that's bad I have a friend that says to me "Why would you buy an Watch for that kind of money?". The same friend has a Pebble lol
    Les74 likes this.
    04-14-2015 08:43 PM
    Minuscule sample size...kind of makes the entire idea behind this thread moot, since we could assign all kinds of assumptions after asking 2-3 people.

I also know a couple of people who wear watches all the time...both of them pre-ordered an Apple Watch, so by your logic, I could make a counter argument saying "I think the Apple Watch is gaining major interest with 'watch people'!"
    04-14-2015 08:48 PM
    All I can say is that I saw a post that the sales of traditional watches are at a standstill right now. Which makes sense how many people have you heard say I was considering a smartwatch but I held of because I wanted to see what Apple does.
    04-14-2015 09:11 PM
    Minuscule sample size...kind of makes the entire idea behind this thread moot, since we could assign all kinds of assumptions after asking 2-3 people.

I also know a couple of people who wear watches all the time...both of them pre-ordered an Apple Watch, so by your logic, I could make a counter argument saying "I think the Apple Watch is gaining major interest with 'watch people'!"
    Can't argue with you there. Just starting a discussion based on an experience. Curious to get everyone's thoughts.
    04-14-2015 09:45 PM
    Ha you think that's bad I have a friend that says to me "Why would you buy an Watch for that kind of money?". The same friend has a Pebble lol
    I don't know. I have to disagree with you there. I have a Pebble, and at the <$100 price point, it was easy for me to justify. I wanted something that did sleep tracking. The Pebble and the Fitbit Flex were only about $10 - $20 different and the Pebble does SO much more.

I'm not saying that you (or anyone else) shouldn't get a Apple Watch, but I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to get one at the $350 price point. $350 vs $100 is a BIG difference. And I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to do anything that I want enough justify my spending the extra money. I think I'm resolved to take the wait and see approach.
    04-14-2015 09:52 PM
    Some people are practical and have simply decided that they do not want an Watch. Period.
    04-14-2015 10:00 PM
    I don't know. I have to disagree with you there. I have a Pebble, and at the <$100 price point, it was easy for me to justify. I wanted something that did sleep tracking. The Pebble and the Fitbit Flex were only about $10 - $20 different and the Pebble does SO much more.

I'm not saying that you (or anyone else) shouldn't get a Apple Watch, but I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to get one at the $350 price point. $350 vs $100 is a BIG difference. And I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to do anything that I want enough justify my spending the extra money. I think I'm resolved to take the wait and see approach.
    My point is not that he has a Pebble. My point is he has a problem with me buying a smartwatch when he has one himself. The difference in cost is irrelevant because it's my money and he paid his money on what he owns. I didn't go to him when he bought the Pebble and say "Oh you spent your money on that". Regardless of what I think of it he has the right to spend his own money on whatever he likes. I don't have any negative feelings towards the Pebble just trying to make my point.
    04-14-2015 10:08 PM
    Some people are practical and have simply decided that they do not want an Watch. Period.
    True but that's not what I'm talking about. Practical people who wear watches have a watch or 2, maybe something dressy and something casual, or maybe a sports watch and a professional watch, or maybe just one they wear everywhere. They might have splurged on something fancy and fashionable like a Rolex or they just have something cheap like Timex.

What I'm talking about is a person who has a passion for watches. That has a collection of 15 to 20 watches that they rotate. Who's collection includes not only entry level brands like Fossil and Movado, but also luxury brands like Harry Winston, Montblanc, and TAG Heuer.

I feel like this is who Apple is trying to appeal to with the Edition, but I'm not sure it's working.
    04-14-2015 10:19 PM
    True but that's not what I'm talking about. Practical people who wear watches have a watch or 2, maybe something dressy and something casual, or maybe a sports watch and a professional watch, or maybe just one they wear everywhere. They might have splurged on something fancy and fashionable like a Rolex or they just have something cheap like Timex.

What I'm talking about is a person who has a passion for watches. That has a collection of 15 to 20 watches that they rotate. Who's collection includes not only entry level brands like Fossil and Movado, but also luxury brands like Harry Winston, Montblanc, and TAG Heuer.

I feel like this is who Apple is trying to appeal to with the Edition, but I'm not sure it's working.
    I knew what you meant, but still, those who want it will get it and those who don't will not.
    04-14-2015 10:27 PM

The pricing of the "edition" watch made it very obvious who was being targeted...and it wasn't your run of the mill watch enthusiast, it was your high end wealthy celebrities, music stars and sports stars who not only have the means, but want the flashy new tech toy. The same folks sporting those overpriced beats headsets all over the place in 2013 and 2014 will be the ones sporting the "Edition" Apple Watch. It's flashy...that is what it was made for. I don't think it was aimed at the high end watch enthusiast at all.
    Ipheuria and tyler_barnhardt like this.
    04-14-2015 10:30 PM
    The pricing of the "edition" watch made it very obvious who was being targeted...and it wasn't your run of the mill watch enthusiast, it was your high end wealthy celebrities, music stars and sports stars who not only have the means, but want the flashy new tech toy. The same folks sporting those overpriced beats headsets all over the place in 2013 and 2014 will be the ones sporting the "Edition" Apple Watch. It's flashy...that is what it was made for. I don't think it was aimed at the high end watch enthusiast at all.
    I could see that
    04-14-2015 11:14 PM
43 12