Anybody planning to buying at launch only to sell at a markup? Is that wrong?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
As I said in a previous post I purchased both the 38 and the 42 because I really couldn't decide which one I wanted and would look best. When I went for the try-on I realized that the 38 was perfect and the 42 was too large. Someone on I believe on this forum mentioned how much they were going for on eBay so I threw it on there with a $600 or best offer. Figured if I didn't sell I would return. Well the thing sold in like 12 hours... For asking price. eBay and PayPal fees took like $80 but I have $100 left over for apple care and another band. I don't believe that makes me a bad person.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
C'mon now. "....manipulating and excessively speculating on the price of wheat" is not the same as selling someone an Watch for $300 over retail price, of which they're very willing to pay, to be among the first to have it.
Agreed. Definitely not the same thing. I intended that as a joke. (I thought the emoticon conveyed that, but maybe not.)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When you beat someone to the purchase you are forcing some to pay more and others to go without. That's taking advantage. Imagine if buying igadgets was like buying concert tickets. With the 4/24 shipping only lasting minutes, at midnight PST and then showing up on ebay the next day at hugely inflated prices, I'd say we are already experiencing problems from scalpers. Iphone launch lines, same problem

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

This makes no sense. So by placing my pre-order I'm forcing someone? I'm not forcing anyone. The simple fact is if I had missed my alarm for example. I missed the pre-order completely. I go to Ebay and see them selling for $300 above what Apple is selling it for. I head to Apple's site and the shipping is June. I would pick June and WAIT. If people were just patient guess what would happen to every Watch on Ebay? They would either be returned to Apple, sold at cost or sold for a loss.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
BTW Scatabrain don't ever collect comics you might just lose your mind. In comics people buy variant covers for $5-$15 and put it immediately on EBay for $30 or more. The people whose comic shop didn't get the variant then have to decide to buy it at that price or not because there is no other choices that will cost less.

mike80421

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Will probably sell my 42mm Sport Silver white band with extra black band since I think I like the Space Grey with black band better. On Apple's web site I didn't like it but in person it looks much better.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope...by definition, it's only scalping if you went to said concert/game, bought the $100 ticket but the $75 tickets were still available for purchase AT the event. People have taken the term and falsely attributed it to scenarios that are simply not relevant.

This is absurd...and I'll tell you why. NOBODY is entitled to these devices as soon as they are available...not one single person. I bought an Apple Watch for my wife...if I decide to sell it instead of giving it to her, and someone is willing to pay even $1 of increased value over retail, they are paying for convenience and accessibility. No one is FORCING them to buy it, nor is anyone making them pay for the ability to have something they don't have access to right now...

You're trying to make it seem like the seller prevented this person from buying something that was rightfully theirs to buy, and that is absolutely asinine (and part of the problem with the world today...the entitlement issues I see day to day are mind numbing).

Sorry you feel that way. They abused the hot launch for their profit. Not for the enjoyment of the product.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you feel that way. They abused the hot launch for their profit. Not for the enjoyment of the product.

Abused? As in "got up" or "stayed up" and purchased when they went on sale? How is that abusing anything. If you were that hot on getting one, you should have got your b*tt out of bed and ordered one.

There were 4 options to everyone:
  1. Get up/stay up and order it.
  2. Wait for yours because you slept through the launch.
  3. Pay the going rate.
  4. Pass on buying one.
The entitlement mentality has totally ruined society. But here's your ribbon for participating.
View attachment 79978

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
This makes no sense. So by placing my pre-order I'm forcing someone? I'm not forcing anyone. The simple fact is if I had missed my alarm for example. I missed the pre-order completely. I go to Ebay and see them selling for $300 above what Apple is selling it for. I head to Apple's site and the shipping is June. I would pick June and WAIT. If people were just patient guess what would happen to every Watch on Ebay? They would either be returned to Apple, sold at cost or sold for a loss.

Imagine it at an extreme where scalpers were the only way to get a launch product. That will give you some idea of why I think its wrong. To me running out of launch day watches in minutes means every single scalper is keeping a from someone else at launch day at Apple's price. You can say it's fair or that I'm absurd all you like. If scalping wasn't taking advantage it wouldn't exist.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Imagine it at an extreme where scalpers were the only way to get a launch product. That will give you some idea of why I think its wrong. To me running out of launch day watches in minutes means every single scalper is keeping a from someone else at launch day at Apple's price. You can say it's fair or that I'm absurd all you like. If scalping wasn't taking advantage it wouldn't exist.

Seriously? Have you ever seen an Apple launch of ANY product? They always sell out within minutes (sometimes hours, but still, they sell out very quickly). I suppose only "scalpers" (others have already explained why that term is incorrect) purchase iPhones or iPads at launch, too?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have played the game at every launch and battled scalpers at each. The only reason scalpers aren't more effective is the purchase limit. The guy buying 25 phones at launch is pushing back availability for at least 24 people for a profit. That's why you won't wait in line this time and you have an order limit. Those restrictions are there to combat scalping. I have had my own methods to get launch day phones. I have to because of scalpers. Glad Apple limited scalping by setting it up this way.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would never do it but...
If you do one or two... I don't think is wrong.. now... when you have those chinese people buying 10+... that makes me mad.. especially when I went to Target for Black Friday and the 3 chinese people were in front of me and they were buying at least 30 iPad Minis right in front of me.. they took all the stock and that's what I wanted to buy.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If you do one or two... I don't think is wrong.. now... when you have those chinese people buying 10+... that makes me mad.. especially when I went to Target for Black Friday and the 3 chinese people were in front of me and they were buying at least 30 iPad Minis right in front of me.. they took all the stock and that's what I wanted to buy.

What's the difference between "one or two" and "Chinese people buying 10+"? It's either wrong or it's not. And not sure what race or nationality has to do with it in any regard.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Maybe I'm idealistic. I feel the same way for 2 watches scalped as I do seeing the guy on launch day with a big pile of phones. They are both wrong.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
What's the difference between "one or two" and "Chinese people buying 10+"? It's either wrong or it's not. And not sure what race or nationality has to do with it in any regard.

Is just in my opinion.. If you're wiling to spend the extra time to stand in line to get an extra phone/watch or whatever to make a quick profit, and there is people out there willing to pay premium money just to have it on first day of launch but don't have the time to stand in line... why not?
Now the scalpers, I don't like because they bring their whole family and they buy a lot of them, and by that running down the stock, so many people that were standing in line won't be able to get it. And I say chinese because 95% of the scalpers are chinese and the one experience I had with scalpers, they were chinese.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
There is something to the Chinese market (or was). But scalpers are from everywhere.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm idealistic. I feel the same way for 2 watches scalped as I do seeing the guy on launch day with a big pile of phones. They are both wrong.

No actually, they are not wrong. Not even in the slightest.

You have no idea what a person buying 10 iPhones or 10 Apple Watches or 10 concert tickets is doing with those...NONE. When the iPad Mini was first released, the company my wife co-owns bought 8 of them for use by the company to better streamline various processes and, quite honestly, because they were cool things to buy to replace the need to lug around tons of laptops when they didn't really need them.

By your logic, you would have categorized them as "scalpers" and you would have been pissed because they bought 8 iPads when other people weren't able to get even one. Flawed logic if there ever was any. And so what if they decide they'd rather sell those iPads after receiving them vs. keeping them and using them? Who are you to define what a person does with their money?

You're beyond idealistic...you've got a horrible entitlement mentality. You feel that every person should have an equal chance to get a consumer product at the same price and at the same time...and that is absolutely hilarious to me. You are so detached from reality that you actually think that opposing scenarios are, by your own definition, "WRONG".

I mean why stop there? By your (lack of) logic, the person who camps out for days to get the first iPhone is "wrong" because the person who has to work those days isn't able to do the same thing. I mean it's not fair that someone is in a better situation to capitalize on a product launch when other people cannot...right?

And let me be clear here...I don't think you're being ridiculous because you don't like it when people go buy a crate full of these products to sell after the fact for a profit, and Apple has addressed that issue (as you said) by putting limitations on the number you can purchase in that regard. You're being absurd because you're calling ANY sale of the product for a higher price "scalping"...not only are you using the word incorrectly, but who are you to tell a person who buys a product for themself what they do with said product?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not going to repeat myself. Not really sure why anyone would bother to defend scalping.