Apple Watch S5 - Upgrade or Not (Yes for me)

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Uh-Ohh! So no Titanium for me then...
I won’t be using any cellular device which is always near to my body (like the watch) - too much radiation exposure.

Kinda expensive also.

Any ideas about the Ceramic version for GPS models?

Ceramic is Cellular/GPS only also. And it’s only 44mm in size as well and starts at $1200 before tax and Apple Care.

mlbrowninsc

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I’m thinking about upgrading from my series 4 and getting cellular this time. Only did gps with the 4. Have since seen where cellular would have come in handy. Any mention if made for iPhone hearing aids will link directly with the watch? That would be great.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I opt not to get one of the new iPhones (I’m leaning toward NOT getting one), I will seriously consider an Watch Series 5.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My first S4 was a 40” SG aluminum & I just couldn’t love it fully. I traded it for the 44mm gold stainless & haven’t looked back. I absolutely love the stainless!!! I’m not sure what I’ll go for next go round, but it’ll definitely be stainless or ceramic.

I’m going stainless this time around. It’s a toss up between Space Black and Gold. I’m afraid that I may like stainless too much and there won’t be any turning back!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have zero desire to upgrade my first Watch the series 4 in 44mm from last year. If I had the money for a stainless, maybe. There's really very little to tempt from a series 4 IMO. The always on sure it's nice but I've never had an issue with not seeing my screen lit up like 95%+ of the time when I need to look at it. I'm guessing I'll probably be waiting for a 7th gen easy on the Watch unless gen 6 has something really good next year.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I was interested in the titanium, but the price makes it way out of reach right now so no, no upgrade for me. I don't care about the always on display either. My 4 is really very good. Maybe in the next couple years.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had two watches, my wife's had two, and we have 4 users in the family to firmly cement the knowledge these things are great but more appliances than heirloom items so no way for our spending on premium cases.

With a series 4, replacing a failed watch or hand me down to kid would be the only ways I can imagine buying one soon. That said, the 5 looks tremendous for someone starting out or not yet with the 4 or now 5 screen that packs more into the view.

All the new product releases look great but reality for me is I have a Series 4, XS Max, and an aging laptop due for replacement. Not rushing to make a purchase in my case is nothing against the new product releases. For any watch lurkers or watch curious I say get a 4 or 5 ASAP.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm a definite maybe. :)

If I upgrade I'll sell or give away my Nike 2 series and keep my AW 4 as a backup. I always want a backup.

mlbrowninsc

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Talked with Apple and confirmed the 5 does work with Made for iPhone hearing aids. Preordered gray aluminum cellular. Looking forward to the cellular and hearing aid upgrades. That will make it a big step up from my series 4 gps.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the series 3 SS I like it, but colors and bands don’t do much for me. The series 3 is still a beast for me so I’ll be hanging with it for now. Actually I was never a fan of Apple Watch but I got a deal on the series 3 so I went it, it’s grown on me a bit.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the series 3 SS I like it, but colors and bands don’t do much for me. The series 3 is still a beast for me so I’ll be hanging with it for now. Actually I was never a fan of Apple Watch but I got a deal on the series 3 so I went it, it’s grown on me a bit.

Like you, I’m enjoying the heck out of my Series 3, but I will be checking out the Series 5 soon. Whether I buy it remains to be seen.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a staggered upgrade cycle with my phone and watch. One year I upgrade my watch, the next my phone. This is a phone year, and I'm glad that nothing really tickled my fancy about the S5. My S4 is pristine and running as well as the day I bought it. I am picking up a new khaki sport loop, though!

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Oh okay! Thank you for the information...

According to an Apple 9to5 article the Ceramic and Titanium watches will come in 40mm also, not just 44mm. No word on connectivity though.

I can’t find anything on the Apple store except the 44mm mentioned and when I click on order I get nothing. Just page cannot be found.

Edit: Through the Apple store app on my phone I do see Titanium and Ceramic listed in 40 and 44mm. But both are only listed as Cellular/GPS with no GPS only option.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
According to an Apple 9to5 article the Ceramic and Titanium watches will come in 40mm also, not just 44mm. No word on connectivity though.

I can’t find anything on the Apple store except the 44mm mentioned and when I click on order I get nothing. Just page cannot be found.

Edit: Through the Apple store app on my phone I do see Titanium and Ceramic listed in 40 and 44mm. But both are only listed as Cellular/GPS with no GPS only option.

The Aluminum models (including Nike) are the only Watches you can get in GPS only.
I'm on a staggered upgrade cycle with my phone and watch. One year I upgrade my watch, the next my phone. This is a phone year, and I'm glad that nothing really tickled my fancy about the S5. My S4 is pristine and running as well as the day I bought it. I am picking up a new khaki sport loop, though!

That's what I'm trying to do too. I got the XS Max last year, but kept my Series 3. This year I ordered a Series 5, but keeping my XS Max. I ordered the khaki sport loop along with the midnight blue and alaskan blue sport loops. I'm only planning on keeping the two I like most.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a definite maybe. :)

If I upgrade I'll sell or give away my Nike 2 series and keep my AW 4 as a backup. I always want a backup.

We have a series 2 that can be a backup. With a Series 4 and XS Max all the new releases look like incremental updates to mature products. I'm sure they're all great but I'm not in a hurry.

:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2