I can’t find a decent screen protector

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have wasted so much money on screen protectors for my Series 4 Apple Watch. It is ridiculous. I do not want one that is wet application. I do not like them.

When I had the series 3 I had the tempered glass screen protector and it was GREAT. It stuck to the screen and never a problem.
BUT the same type on the series 4 doesn’t seem to work.
It is the right fit but the sticky part doesn’t last. I am lucky if it lasts more than two weeks.

Any suggestions? I want to use a screen protector. I want the watch protected.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have something similar... and it works well. You will have to remove it from time to time to wipe away dust and smudges, which is easy enough to do. Someone else here in the forums commented that after a good workout, there was moisture underneath it from perspiration, but of course, it's easy enough to clean off.

tmx31415

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I too have had issues with tempered glass screen protectors. I eventually ended up purchasing the L/K wet application film from Amazon which I was pleasantly surprised with. The application was easy and it works great with a Spigen case that I have. I know its not glass, but it will provide some level of protection for the screen. Hope this helps...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I have always used a screen protector on my smartphones, but I have never used one on my Apple Watch and never really thought about using one. I'm happy to report that I have never scratched my Apple Watch (knocking on wood). I'm not really sure if I need one with my current lifestyle, but this thread gives me something to think about. Thanks for the info everyone.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
It's wet apply but I've been very happy with these. It's been on there since I got the watch in September and haven't had any issues. Ones I had before always came off within a couple of weeks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PVQFJV/

I might have to look into one of those myself. Though in my case I'm not sure it would help where I noticed an issue. On the bottom right corner of the screen where it's rounded over there is some scuffing. I think from a few weeks back when I was moving my PC parts to a new case. The main screen only has like one micro-scratch in the coating. Still, if it's not noticeable when it's on it might be worth it.

edit: Just to be clear, the scuffing is not super evident. I just noticed what looked like a slightly dull or differently reflecting spot when I was inspecting for scratches and could feel something was off. I had to bust out the magnifier mode on my phone to actually get a real look at it to see that there was indeed a few small scratches there.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I have always used a screen protector on my smartphones, but I have never used one on my Apple Watch and never really thought about using one. I'm happy to report that I have never scratched my Apple Watch (knocking on wood). I'm not really sure if I need one with my current lifestyle, but this thread gives me something to think about. Thanks for the info everyone.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector for watches that cost a few thousand dollars. Why am I buying a screen protector for a $500 watch? Apple watches are that cheap that they need screen protectors?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector for watches that cost a few thousand dollars. Why am I buying a screen protector for a $500 watch? Apple watches are that cheap that they need screen protectors?

Like the stainless steel Apple Watches, a watch that costs a few thousand dollars almost surely has a scratch resistant sapphire crystal. The aluminum Apple Watch has a non-sapphire crystal (they call it "Ion-X Glass) that does get scratches. Also, even the sapphire crystal on an Apple Watch is pretty thin (perhaps to have the touchscreen work properly?) compared with a traditional high-end mechanical watch crystal, so it's more prone to shatter when struck with enough force compared with a mechanical watch.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I like to protect my investments. It’s a personal choice. Am trying the one that was recommended
I never had a problem with my series 3 with tempered glass protector. The 4 just doesn’t adhere to it like the 3. Nuts

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Like the stainless steel Apple Watches, a watch that costs a few thousand dollars almost surely has a scratch resistant sapphire crystal. The aluminum Apple Watch has a non-sapphire crystal (they call it "Ion-X Glass) that does get scratches. Also, even the sapphire crystal on an Apple Watch is pretty thin (perhaps to have the touchscreen work properly?) compared with a traditional high-end mechanical watch crystal, so it's more prone to shatter when struck with enough force compared with a mechanical watch.

The life of my Series 2 helped cement how I'd never waste a penny on the premium models. These are in essence disposables. You can't even change the battery.

I like to protect my investments. It’s a personal choice. Am trying the one that was recommended
I never had a problem with my series 3 with tempered glass protector. The 4 just doesn’t adhere to it like the 3. Nuts

I can't see these things as an investment in a conventional sense but they are valuable tools as far as the nudge factor, personal performance and well being.

As said in the first comment, I just can't see them as beyond something you use and recycle when they are spent.

George Ponder

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the IQShield protectors are well. It's a decent way to protect your watch from minor scrapes and scratches.

Takes a little patience to apply due to the rounded edges of the watch screen. Just wet it and slowly work all the bubbles out and work it around the edges of the screen.

So far they are lasting about two months before I have to swap them out. I find myself catching the edge of the screen protector on something and it peels back ever so slightly. Most of the time it will adhere back in place but after a few times, the protector needs replacing.

I like the look of the rounded edges but would have preferred a raised bevel around a flat screen. I think then you could use tempered glass protectors with more confidence.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The life of my Series 2 helped cement how I'd never waste a penny on the premium models. These are in essence disposables. You can't even change the battery.

Some (most?) people can’t afford to treat a several hundred dollar watch as a disposable. Hence, the reason why they want to try an inexpensive screen protector on a non-sapphire crystal watch.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Some (most?) people can’t afford to treat a several hundred dollar watch as a disposable. Hence, the reason why they want to try an inexpensive screen protector on a non-sapphire crystal watch.

I get the reason for screen protector. I have a clear plastic watch protector. My point is I'm not spending on premium materials because these are not like my stainless steel or gold mechanical wrist watches where you know they remain serviceable and useful for generations. Just the difference between my Series 2 and 4 make all the difference for how one app I value performs.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but you were quoting me when I was replying to somebody asking why somebody would want a screen protector when the watches he always bought never needed one. I was simply explaining that only the stainless steel models of the S4 have a sapphire display like you’d find on an expensive mechanical watch. I wasn’t advocating for spending extra for one - I was explaining why the aluminum watch owners might want a screen protector.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, but you were quoting me when I was replying to somebody asking why somebody would want a screen protector when the watches he always bought never needed one. I was simply explaining that only the stainless steel models of the S4 have a sapphire display like you’d find on an expensive mechanical watch. I wasn’t advocating for spending extra for one - I was explaining why the aluminum watch owners might want a screen protector.

It's all good. I made fast replies and just intended to say I have a hard time paying for premium materials in a circumstance like this.

Maybe the new Google phone and a Series 4 with same tech features as high end watch will help pressure the makers to give us premium technology without having to pay the sort of premium we see for XS and XS Max phones? I didn't have to pay for stainless to get a Series 4. I'd love the XR phone with two camera. Yeah, I realize that's off topic.

:)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's wet apply but I've been very happy with these. It's been on there since I got the watch in September and haven't had any issues. Ones I had before always came off within a couple of weeks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PVQFJV/

I've been using the IQShield protectors are well. It's a decent way to protect your watch from minor scrapes and scratches.

Takes a little patience to apply due to the rounded edges of the watch screen. Just wet it and slowly work all the bubbles out and work it around the edges of the screen.

So far they are lasting about two months before I have to swap them out. I find myself catching the edge of the screen protector on something and it peels back ever so slightly. Most of the time it will adhere back in place but after a few times, the protector needs replacing.

I like the look of the rounded edges but would have preferred a raised bevel around a flat screen. I think then you could use tempered glass protectors with more confidence.

I just replaced the first IQShield I put on. October to May, not bad at all (it says I bought in September which I did but that was the watch.... Amazon says 10/1 for the screen protector). A corner got beat up, the new one went on and is just as good as the first.