AW3 + Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (AT&T) = FAIL

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Just a heads up if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you can't get cellular on this plan. After several discussions with AT&T being told the same thing. I'm actually thinking about switching to the unlimited plus plan. Seems like a better deal for me and my 4 lines. Just wanted to let others knows if you are on the fence and have one of the old plans.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you can't get cellular on this plan.

I'm still on the original att unlimited plan that was offered with the first iPhone. So when I get my S3C, I won't be able to activate the cellular bit? Huh. This is disappointing but at least you spare me the agitation of dealing with att on this.

I've been thinking of dropping anyway since some of the limited data plans are actually cheaper for my use (maybe 500mb on cellular/mo.)

It looks like I can drop my payment by $20/mo and then give back $10 for cellular.

ftlum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I had them add the Watch to my grandfathered unlimited plan just today. Don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be done. I even got the activation fee waived (you might want to show them AT&T ‘s announcement for that one).

I can’t seem to post the link to the instructions you should give the store employee— I get an error message. Search Mac Rumor’s forum for Dave006’s posts on what to do on in “series-3-questions-10-month-unlimited-att-plan-ok”.

With this information and a helpful employee, activation was easier than I had expected.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I can’t seem to post the link to the instructions you should give the store employee— I get an error message. Search Mac Rumor’s forum for Dave006’s posts on what to do on in “series-3-questions-10-month-unlimited-att-plan-ok”.

Try this link from the above to post #80 in that thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ited-att-plan-ok.2068049/page-4#post-25097226

There are posts in that thread as recent as yesterday about successfully adding the S3C to a grandfathered account. At this point though I'm not sure there's much value in that account. I'll have to try to crunch some numbers for a newer account (since I don't use a lot of LTE data and there's no cap, just a throttle). I'd give up unlimited data if only to break even on the monthly bill after adding the LTE Watch.

ftlum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
AW3 + Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (AT&T) = FAIL

I actually had tried switching to the new unlimited program some months earlier, since I wanted the hotspot and will need more lines in the future, but it was not very close in price at all when I got the bill. It turns out I am currently using a very cheap texting plan (we don’t need unlimited texts), and when you loose the corporate discount and add taxes and fees it came to about $70 per month more! I ended up having to switch back, which was a huge hassle in itself (They initially wouldn’t let me do it even though I made the switch only days earlier— if it were not for a 3rd customer service person fixing things, I would have switched to T-Mobile).

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: AW3 + Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (AT&T) = FAIL

I actually had tried switching to the new unlimited program some months earlier, since I wanted the hotspot and will need more lines in the future, but it was not very close in price at all when I got the bill. It turns out I am currently using a very cheap texting plan (we don’t need unlimited texts), and when you loose the corporate discount and add taxes and fees it came to about $70 per month more! I ended up having to switch back, which was a huge hassle in itself (They initially wouldn’t let me do it even though I made the switch only days earlier— if it were not for a 3rd customer service person fixing things, I would have switched to T-Mobile).

When you switched from your grandfathered plan did you notice any difference in data speed? I made the switch, we had 3 GF unlimited and went with the Unlimited Plus plans but we have notice a BIG difference in data speed. Seems much slower.

ftlum

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: AW3 + Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans (AT&T) = FAIL

When you switched from your grandfathered plan did you notice any difference in data speed? I made the switch, we had 3 GF unlimited and went with the Unlimited Plus plans but we have notice a BIG difference in data speed. Seems much slower.

There are 2 new unlimited plans. They tried to switch me to the slow one (Choice) since it was closer in price to the grandfathered one, but it was a major downgrade, so I didn’t take that one. I can’t recall offhand if the faster one had slower than grandfathered speeds as well (it didn’t strike me as slower offhand ) but I didn’t test that specifically. You might want to confirm they didn’t switch you to the Choice program instead— that one is clearly slower, apparently even before the 22 gb cap.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2