Series 2 shuts itself off randomly

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Day 1 when I purchased the watch, the watch shut itself off. Thought it was odd but figured I did it myself. Day 2 it did it again. Then went 2 weeks without issues and it did it again.

Is this a normal occurrence?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
No. It's not normal. Just out of curiosity, what is the watch battery level when it shuts down?

I'd probably try the usual steps: 1) reboot watch; if that doesn't fix it, 2) re-pair watch; if that doesn't fix it, 3) take watch to Apple store.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Day 1 when I purchased the watch, the watch shut itself off. Thought it was odd but figured I did it myself. Day 2 it did it again. Then went 2 weeks without issues and it did it again.

Is this a normal occurrence?

I agree that it is not normal behavior. If yo haven’t had the watch that long, take it to the nearest Apple Store to have them check it out and possibly exchange it.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Battery level has been between 70-95% when the watch shuts itself off. When it does shut off, I noticed that the display is black and then when I hit the power button, it boots.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not normal. My Nike Plus S2 hasn’t done that a single time since release day. Set it up as new again and see if it gets better. If not, bring it back for replacement.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
An update to my situation. I was able to get the Apple Watch Series 2 exchanged for another Series 2 Space Black. All was going well and upgraded to Watch OS4. One day out of the blue (about 10 days later), I answered a phone call and then ended the phone call. Thirty minutes later, I noticed that the watch had turned itself off. This occurrence, the power button did not turn it on so, I had to press the crown in while turning the power on to get the watch to power on.

Also now, in some cases but not all, I am getting iMessage texts that were sent 3-4 hours or in some cases the day prior as though they had just texted me. For example, someone sent me a text at 4 a.m. today and read the text at 6:30 a.m.. Then at 8:30 a.m. the text comes through on my watch as though its a new text. I look at the my phone and see no new text message notification. Its just the same old one I read at 6:30.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
An update to my situation. I was able to get the Apple Watch Series 2 exchanged for another Series 2 Space Black. All was going well and upgraded to Watch OS4. One day out of the blue (about 10 days later), I answered a phone call and then ended the phone call. Thirty minutes later, I noticed that the watch had turned itself off. This occurrence, the power button did not turn it on so, I had to press the crown in while turning the power on to get the watch to power on.

Also now, in some cases but not all, I am getting iMessage texts that were sent 3-4 hours or in some cases the day prior as though they had just texted me. For example, someone sent me a text at 4 a.m. today and read the text at 6:30 a.m.. Then at 8:30 a.m. the text comes through on my watch as though its a new text. I look at the my phone and see no new text message notification. Its just the same old one I read at 6:30.

Hmm.. that’s really weird...
Are you accidentally pressing on the power button?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

How close is the Watch to the back of your hand? The reason I ask is that if it’s too close, you can accidentally power it off w/out even realizing, depending on the position of your hand.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My daughter (who inherited my S2) told me that one morning last week that the watch was off when she woke up in the morning in a panic bc she was late for school .... she said it had drained from 90-something percent charged to nothing overnight. I had never seen that happen while I used that watch. Maybe something wonky in watchOS 4.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Just ended the call by pressing the Red button on the screen to end the call. Then sometime between when I ended the call and 30 minutes later I noticed it was completely off.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I’ve really grown to hate OS4 on my watch series 2. On OS3 I had zero issues. Since upgrading to 4 my watch acts wonky at times. It’ll reboot at random times, even if the battery is at 75%, 90 or whatever. My other HUGE issue is Siri. It activates itself randomly ALL THE TIME. some days not so much, but some days it goes on for a half hour. Tapping the screen or pressing in the crown usually doesn’t stop it. I have to take the Watch off and put it back on. Eventually the vicious cycle stops.

I’ve already tried a hard reboot and even unpairing and resetting the whole watch. Originally I thought maybe OS4 loaded wonky when I first upgraded and figured doing all that would correct everything. Nope, still wonky.

Needless to say I’m extremely disappointed and p!ssed off about OS4 in general. I wish I never upgraded from OS3.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. that’s really weird...
Are you accidentally pressing on the power button?

Nope. Just ended the call by pressing the Red button on the screen to end the call. Then sometime between when I ended the call and 30 minutes later I noticed it was completely off. Just using it like normal.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
How close is the Watch to the back of your hand? The reason I ask is that if it’s too close, you can accidentally power it off w/out even realizing, depending on the position of your hand.

Its just like I normally have been wearing the Apple Watch for the last few years. I switched to Android about 9 months ago and then went back to Apple in September and had to purchase another Series 2 since I needed a new Apple Watch. Other than that, its the same band length setting I have always used.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. I’ve really grown to hate OS4 on my watch series 2. On OS3 I had zero issues. Since upgrading to 4 my watch acts wonky at times. It’ll reboot at random times, even if the battery is at 75%, 90 or whatever. My other HUGE issue is Siri. It activates itself randomly ALL THE TIME. some days not so much, but some days it goes on for a half hour. Tapping the screen or pressing in the crown usually doesn’t stop it. I have to take the Watch off and put it back on. Eventually the vicious cycle stops.

I’ve already tried a hard reboot and even unpairing and resetting the whole watch. Originally I thought maybe OS4 loaded wonky when I first upgraded and figured doing all that would correct everything. Nope, still wonky.

Needless to say I’m extremely disappointed and p!ssed off about OS4 in general. I wish I never upgraded from OS3.

Sounds similar to my issues. I wonder if its OS4 then. I also wonder if it is going on with Series 3 as well or just Series 2. The latest for me is getting notifications about text messages that I have read the previous day or hours before and in some cases have deleted after I read them.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds similar to my issues. I wonder if its OS4 then. I also wonder if it is going on with Series 3 as well or just Series 2. The latest for me is getting notifications about text messages that I have read the previous day or hours before and in some cases have deleted after I read them.

It’s definitely OS4 because on OS3 I had zero issues. As for the series 3...who knows?

I don’t have any issues getting messages thank god.

The other day, while walking my dog, Siri keep activating and I nearly took my watch off to send it flying I was so p!ssed. I’m seriously fed up

The watch I've grown to love and rely on its functions I now want to chuck it at a wall !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77