I amassed a collection and need some narrowing down-

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
With all the Target order drama I have in hand (all sealed in packages, with obvious returns waiting):

--S1 sport silver white sport band

--S2 stainless white sport band

--S2 sport black nylon band (with intent to exchange for silver sport with white sport band, on the way, at the sale price)

What are the pros to the S1 over the S2 besides the really great price?

What are the pros to the stainless over the aluminum besides it probably looks nicer? Worth the ~$200 more til the dispute is settled if it gets settled (long story regarding an unauthorized charge after the original order got canceled after they tried to correct the price...)

I don't know that I'll upgrade this yearly like I do my phones. So I do like the idea of the S2 over the S1 for that reason but if the S1 has equally good battery life for features I don't typically use is it worth paying more for the S2?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't think there are any others. The cheaper price is because of few features. If you don't miss those S2 features (and a lot of people don't) the S1 is a solid choice.

What are the pros to the stainless over the aluminum besides it probably looks nicer?
The look was the only reason for my buying the AWSS. It's the same Watch as the AW Sport with the exception of the case (of course) and the crystal—sapphire for the SS and Ion-X glass for the Sport. Sapphire is harder and more scratch resistant, but more likely to crack or shatter on sufficient impact. Under the same impact, Ion-X glass will likely remain intact, but lesser contact will scratch it.

With the AWS1/AWS2 lineup, the SS is only available as an S2, so besides the case, you're back to the S1 vs S2 thing.

About the case, it's my belief the SS case's mirror finish will scratch more easily and show them more easily and resist being dented more than the Aluminum/Sport Watches. Some scratches on the SS will polish out ('That'll buff right out') but not on the Aluminum/Sport version. This has yet to be proven with the two Watch cases, but that's my story...

If you don't/won't use the features of the S2, the cheaper S1 would seem to be the obvious choice. Then the only advantage of the S2 might be better battery life since its bigger battery isn't being used for the GPS. For the price difference, that doesn't seem like much of an advantage to me. Having the SS case is a bigger premium on top of that.

I don't know that I'll upgrade this yearly like I do my phones. So I do like the idea of the S2 over the S1 for that reason but if the S1 has equally good battery life for features I don't typically use is it worth paying more for the S2?
I won't be upgrading every year, though if Apple does offer a round Watch next year, I'll probably get one. I'm not clear on 'that reason' for preferring the S2 over the S1. That you'd keep it despite paying for features you probably won't use because you won't upgrade it next year? Ok, that makes sense to me, though others might not agree.

As to if it's worth paying that money for extra battery life as we've both outlined, I'd say no. But do you need the extra battery life. If charging every day (or night) is a real problem or even just a real inconvenience, then it may be worth it to you. And in two years time, the S2's battery in your use case might be in significantly better shape then an S1's battery, possibly reducing replacement cost. But you've paid $200 extra up front, so I don't think it likely.

It's too soon to say definitively. We don't even know how long a Watch will be supported. It could be Obsolete (Apple classification) by the time the battery dies, or just Vintage.

My advice to you is buy/keep the SS S2 if you really like the look. If that's not reason enough, then stick with an S1.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded to an sport S2 from my original sport watch in September. I've had no issues with scratches on the watch or the screen and I've banged both more times than I can count against surfaces.

My reason to upgrade was for the GPS and waterproofing. I run and swim for exercise and being able to track both easily was a big reason to go with the new model. If you don't need/want the GPS or waterproofing, the S1 is the way to go.

Personally, the extra money for the stainless steel versions is too much for the same functionality. With the difference in money, you can buy a bunch of bands to switch out on your watch. I have 2 different sport bands, 3 nylon bands, one leather and one milanese loop.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the series 2 and it is a little fatter than my son's original (which is the same as the series 1). I this cosmetically that looks better. I personally never use the GPS or the full waterproof. And the chip is the same in the series 1 and 2. So old say go series 1.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the series 2 and it is a little fatter than my son's original (which is the same as the series 1). I this cosmetically that looks better. I personally never use the GPS or the full waterproof. And the chip is the same in the series 1 and 2. So old say go series 1.

The processor is not the same in the Series 1 and 2, though both are dual-core. Series 1 uses S1P while Series 2 uses S2.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought an S1 this week at Target, I have a Silver Sport but didn't like the White band, so I've purchased a Ocean Blue Apple Sport band and a Penom Milanese Loop band off Amazon. I seriously considered the Series 2 but, with the Target sale the S2 is almost double the price, and I just didn't feel I could justify it.

I see four advantages to the S2 over the S1; Waterproofing rather than water resistant, GPS in the S2, brighter screen, and faster processor. From what I've seen, the waterproofing is mostly important if you want to swim. The GPS gives better tracking on runs/biking without needing the phone. The brighter screen makes some difference in bright sunlight but, from what I've seen, isn't a huge difference in usability. The processor, from what I've heard others report, give faster boot up times but, in day to day use, you don't really notice the difference.

I decided the Series 1 is enough for me, especially on a piece of tech that I'll replace and will be obsolete in just a few years.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
With all the Target order drama I have in hand (all sealed in packages, with obvious returns waiting):

--S1 sport silver white sport band

--S2 stainless white sport band

--S2 sport black nylon band (with intent to exchange for silver sport with white sport band, on the way, at the sale price)

What are the pros to the stainless over the aluminum besides it probably looks nicer? Worth the ~$200 more til the dispute is settled if it gets settled (long story regarding an unauthorized charge after the original order got canceled after they tried to correct the price...)

So what did you decide on?

By the way, I figured Mac Guy would explain why you needed them all. :biggrin:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So what did you decide on?

Since Target matched the price due to their error on the Stainless I kept that! I just got my first scuff on the metal last week. But I like her. Don't know wtf I'm doing yet though!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have figured out that I cannot wear during boxing because it will not play nice with gloves and pads at all.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

:rotfl: I'm too busy bemoaning the fact that I found my $100 Target card after the sale. I would've snapped up a 42mm Silver AWS1 with any color of band.

To ame, I'll just say that variety in Watches, like shoes, is a good thing. :big grin: And that'll buff right out.

ame said:
I have figured out that I cannot wear during boxing

And of course— my intentions are strictly honorable. :redface:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2