A Year after Cutting the Cable Cord

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I was looking at my latest cable bill and realized it’s been a year since I bought my Apple TV (4th Generation) and cancelled my Cable TV subscription and switched to my Apple TV and Direct TV Now setup.

I will say in the the beginning I was having issues with server and connection errors with Direct TV Now, but the service has been greatly improved over the last year and the interruptions now are minimal.

At first I was concerned about watching live TV sports using a streaming service, but now I really don’t see any major difference between my cable service and Direct TV now except that I am saving over 70.00 dollars a month.

I now have all my local channels and have even picked up some new ones without a service increase. Unlike my cable provider who was raising my subscription rates and taking channels away.

I miss having a remote where I could select a channel by number without scrolling thru all the channels using the Apple TV touchpad, but for the monthly savings I will gladly put up with it.

I just wanted to follow up and give a review of my experience with cutting the cable cord. I have saved over 870.00 dollars the first year alone and those savings have been put towards my property taxes and when your retired on a fixed income, it all helps.

I couldn’t be happier making the decision to cut the cable cord and I am enjoying the rewards of not only saving money, but having more channels and not missing anything as far as picture quality.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Cutting the cord was the beat decision I made over a year ago. My bill was $165/mo and now with DirectvNow, internet and emby as my dvr Im paying $65/mo. Once the DVR releases for DirectvNow I can save another $5.

Best part of it all is being able to watch tv or my dvr anywhere without extra equipment. Couldnt do that with cable unless I bought a slingplayer.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Jealousy

I do have to get off the couch and find a better way.

That Controller(Ball) and Cord(Chain) is costing me a Fortune.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s been several years since I cut the cord and I can say for certain that I don’t have any regrets about it. I initially used Hulu and Netflix, but they didn’t provide live TV broadcasts. Shortly thereafter, I subscribed to SlingTV. After deciding to give Directv Now a try and being satisfied with the service, I dropped SlingTV.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven’t had cable since I bought my house 8 years ago, and I don’t miss it at all.
I use a Home run HD connect with my Apple TV, and an HDTV antenna.
Amazon Prime video, and YouTube, and I have all my viewing needs.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
We're using YouTube TV. All local channels and a bunch of sports channels. 6 simultaneous streams and unlimited DVD for $40/mo.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I haven’t had cable since I bought my house 8 years ago, and I don’t miss it at all.
I use a Home run HD connect with my Apple TV, and an HDTV antenna.
Amazon Prime video, and YouTube, and I have all my viewing needs.

I also have a HomeRun box and the channels app in case Direct TV Now has any hiccups. I am also a Amazon Prime member and have the Amazon Video app installed, best of both worlds.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The only issue I had with DTVN was no CBS, at least in my area. Some shows we like are on CBS so that's a requirement.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The only issue I had with DTVN was no CBS, at least in my area. Some shows we like are on CBS so that's a requirement.

I get CBS in our area now, I like it because most of the PGA Golf on Saturday and Sunday is broadcast on their network.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.

Same here with the Apple TV remote, I would prefer being able to select a channel by a number rather then scrolling through a lot of channels to find what I like. But for the monthly savings, I will put up with it.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of my cable about 3 months ago and haven’t looked back! You Tube TV and ATV 4K, w/Netflix and Amazon Prime! Love the UI and features of YTTV.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77