Needing some advice on the Apple TV box,

IThomasI2017

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello Imore forum,

As you guys can see from the title I am in search of a little advice on these new Apple TV boxes.

I have been living in Cambodia for about 4 years now helping out with NGO's to build water wells in very poor villages. I have been very busy so there wasn't much time to watch TV and when I did the cable TV was terrible, just repeating the same movies over and over again.

Anyway, now I have some new found time and after speaking to a friend who advised me to get this TV box I thought I would come here and see what it's all about. She sent me this link here http://www.used.forsale/apple-tv-box

first of all, will the box work in Cambodia?
What kind of Wifi strength does it need to run without any problems?
What are the yearly costs?
What are your guy's personal experiences with these boxes?

If there is any other information that you guys need feel free to comment below and I will get back to you all ASAP.

Thanks

Apple_TV_Box8msDetail.jpg

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, the TV has been great. You don’t necessarily need a Wi-Fi connection, but you do need internet access. As for costs, it depends on the channel descriptions you option to get. For example, Netflix, Hulu, HBONow, etc., will cost you a monthly fee whereas some others don’t cost you anything. With that in mind, if you already pay for dish or cable tv services, you can use your login credentials to access certain channels without paying. Anyway, you can read more about the TV via the following iMore Blog link.

https://www.imore.com/apple-tv

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
first of all, will the box work in Cambodia? => for tv subcription, it really depends on whether the services available or not in Cambodia, netflix is available, hulu not, other services maybe various

What kind of Wifi strength does it need to run without any problems? => if you can stream video/movie/music with the current wifi on your phone, then appletv should has no issue as well

What are the yearly costs? => appletv itself has no yearly costs, only the tv subscription, and it various

What are your guy's personal experiences with these boxes? => just nice to watch tv series and some movies (not new movies though) with hulu and netflix on huge screen tv with good quality, no lagging (compare to some android tv box), beautiful interface, and as usual, good OS from apple, which give nice experience using it without any issue (at least for me)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
first of all, will the box work in Cambodia? => for tv subcription, it really depends on whether the services available or not in Cambodia, netflix is available, hulu not, other services maybe various

What kind of Wifi strength does it need to run without any problems? => if you can stream video/movie/music with the current wifi on your phone, then appletv should has no issue as well

What are the yearly costs? => appletv itself has no yearly costs, only the tv subscription, and it various

What are your guy's personal experiences with these boxes? => just nice to watch tv series and some movies (not new movies though) with hulu and netflix on huge screen tv with good quality, no lagging (compare to some android tv box), beautiful interface, and as usual, good OS from apple, which give nice experience using it without any issue (at least for me)

My experience has been fine with my AppleTV. I use it all the time at home. Netflix is $8US per month to use on a single device at a time, I’m not sure what the cost is in Cambodia. HBO and Showtime through Apple are $15US per month, again I’m not sure if they’re available in Cambodia or the pricing there. I’m also not sure what your internet costs are. The yearly cost will come down to what your monthly costs for internet and what services you use. I have traveled with my AppleTV before and it ran just fine on internet that was only 5mbps download. For reference, that is slower than 4G cellular data. In the United States it’s hard to find internet that slow now. So you shouldn’t have any problems with internet speed. The only time that internet speed may be an issue is with streaming shows or movies bought from iTunes. That usually needs at least 10mbps download speed.