Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anything to that extent so I doubt it will be an issue. If you find out anything concrete let me know though!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just checked the Apple Store app and it states "requires HDMI cable". You should be fine with your existing cable.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just was listening to a YouTube video about that & The guy that did the video said you had to have a new cable but I just wanted to see what other people said. hopefully I will get one for Christmas

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just was listening to a YouTube video about that & The guy that did the video said you had to have a new cable but I just wanted to see what other people said. hopefully I will get one for Christmas

I'll let you know when I get mine next week. It's replacing a gen 3 AppleTV and I'm not getting a new HDMI cable.

Mike1138

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure why the old HDMI cable would not work. The new Apple TV isn't doing anything that requires the most recent HDMI spec.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why the old HDMI cable would not work. The new Apple TV isn't doing anything that requires the most recent HDMI spec.

Well it depends on the hdmi cable but the new Apple TV can control the tv volume and power of the tv and it depends on the hdmi cable I believe

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I used same hdmi and power cable from my 3rd gen mostly because getting to the wall outlet for power is a pain !! Lol .. No issues here

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i'm hoping to get the new Apple TV for Christmas. I was listening to a video on YouTube about the new HDMI cable. do you have to have a new HDMI or will The one used for the 3rd gen work

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i'm hoping to get the new Apple TV for Christmas. I was listening to a video on YouTube about the new HDMI cable. do you have to have a new HDMI or will The one used for the 3rd gen work

I use a staples branded hdmi cable that I got in February 2014 for my Apple TV 3 with my Apple TV 4 with no issues.