Convince Me

c5sparkchaser

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've already searched the forums and couldn't nail down a good answer, so now I'm tossing the question out into the open:

Why should I buy an Apple TV?

Don't get me wrong, I WANT to get one, but I can't think of enough reasons to justify it to myself and my financial coordinator (wife) :D. What I need from you guys are solid reasons. Thanks in advance.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
AirPlay media from any iOS device. Not just music, videos, photos, etc... Some apps also use AirPlay with great effect. Exercise apps, for instance. Fitstar works great with AirPlay.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Honestly if your a grown man you really don't need convincing to buy a Apple TV, you may need permission from your wife though. :)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to do the opposite: AppleTV (at least for now) has the worst selection of "channels" or apps of all of the set top boxes (or sticks). Unless there is that ONE feature on the AppleTV you must have, then you do not currently want one.

It's one killer feature is if you are already an Apple household, it integrates. Airplay from an iOS device (iOS 7 or higher iPhones/Pods/Pads) and streaming from iTunes. If you use a Mac, I believe you can throw your entire desktop onto the TV through it for web based streaming.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Despite having an Xbox one ps4 and a smart tv which all have the same features I still don't regret buying my Apple TV. AirPlay alone was more then worth the $90 I paid for it.

Sent from my Golden Apple Six

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It's only 69 dollars.

And if it's not something you really want, it'd be a waste of money even at $1.

The only reason to get an AppleTV, at least at this time, is if you are already using other Apple products and you want to stream from those to your TV. Otherwise, you can get more features for the same or less money from other devices.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And if it's not something you really want, it'd be a waste of money even at $1.

The only reason to get an AppleTV, at least at this time, is if you are already using other Apple products and you want to stream from those to your TV. Otherwise, you can get more features for the same or less money from other devices.

And the OP said " Don't get me wrong I want to get one". He said this. So if he wants to get one he should get it. It's only 69 bucks. We ain't talking Apple Watch Edition.

Dextermutt

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Number one reason I have them (yes them, have 4) is streaming your iTunes media anywhere in the house. If you've invested in movies and music it makes sense. AirPlay has been very disappointing for me lately. Hit or miss with my iPad Air and iPhone 6 plus

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Number one reason I have them (yes them, have 4) is streaming your iTunes media anywhere in the house. If you've invested in movies and music it makes sense. AirPlay has been very disappointing for me lately. Hit or miss with my iPad Air and iPhone 6 plus

What where you watching? I air played 3 shows over the weekend via amazon prime and it worked flawlessly.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
As it currently stands, I cannot recommend an Apple TV. It has poor channel selection and I've even noticed inferior video quality compared compared to my Roku.

But my trusty Roku II is a little long in the tooth, and if the hype/rumors are true about a new, updated Apple TV coming out this year with an actual channel store, I might be getting one.

AirPlay is definitely a selling point, too.

PompiPompi

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Amazon Fire TV is also nice I was told.
Well I have one but I only use it for games(it has an NVIDIA Tegra K1 SoC which is pretty nice).
Not sure about the channel selection for the US, dunno, you could check it on Amazon.com. They have a nice page about it.
There is also the Fire TV Stick which is really cheap and also have a good selection of channels(I was told).
As I mentioned I use it for games, it supports blue tooth gamepads and has it's own unique Amazon gamepad.

I know that Apple is about to release a new Apple TV to better compete with Amazon Fire TV. I am curious if it will have it's own App store and you will be able to play games/use a gamepad but I was told Apple doesn't really push games that much.

relic74

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to do the opposite: AppleTV (at least for now) has the worst selection of "channels" or apps of all of the set top boxes (or sticks). Unless there is that ONE feature on the AppleTV you must have, then you do not currently want one.

It's one killer feature is if you are already an Apple household, it integrates. Airplay from an iOS device (iOS 7 or higher iPhones/Pods/Pads) and streaming from iTunes. If you use a Mac, I believe you can throw your entire desktop onto the TV through it for web based streaming.

I completely agree, I received one for free after purchasing a computer and found it almost completely useless. The Airplay functionality can be found on many devices so the Apple TV isn't special in this regard. My MINIX A8-H Plus, which is a fantastic device by the way, can stream an iPads desktop onto a TV just fine, as well as Android and Windows 8.1 devices, so it's actually more advanced in this regard. Though it looks pretty ridiculous, the iPads icons and text look huge and there are these really annoying black bars on either side. I prefer using my Nexus 9 with my TV as I can use an app called Second Screen, instead of simply cloning the desktop it creates an additional expanded screen, you can also change the DPI to make the UI look more like a normal desktop, plus no black bars, native aspect ratio and resolution, very cool.

Anyway, I would stay away from the Apple TV, your at the mercy of Apple when it comes to apps, no web browser which I would have thought would be a normal feature for such a device, I mean my TV has a web browser for goodness sakes. I would grab a MINIX Z64 or if you can afford it, the new Nvidia Shield TV as this device is probably the best thing you can install on your TV right now. Whatever you decide on though, just make sure the device is able to install whatever apps you want, has at least 2GB of RAM, 16GB SSD, SD Card, USB ports, supports 4K for future proofing, etc. Also definitely install Kodi (XBMC) as it's an absolutely must have app, I can't stress enough to you on this point, it's worth buying one of these devices just for that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2