Convince me to upgrade.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have kept my current iPhone XS Max longer than I have ever kept an iPhone without upgrading before. Ever.

I have had every iPhone model since the very first generation...and have upgraded virtually every year since then...either because I had a hunger for the “latest & greatest”, or because Apple provided enough improvements in the devices each new model to entice me to have it. Apple doesn’t do that any more.

My XS Max works great...surprisingly so. The battery is still at 87%...it’s still pretty fast, and it’s in pristine condition.

But...I still have that “itch”. I’d like to have a new iPhone. But a new & improved camera and a higher grade Retina display can’t convince me to trade my phone AND drop $500...for a 24-month plan that will cost me $40 a month.

Maybe I’ve become a tightwad in my old age...

SO...why should I trade a perfectly good iPhone XS Max for a shiny, new iPhone 12? I mean...give me some compelling, convincing reasons.

Should I wait for 12s or the 13?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I’ve had almost all of Apple’s Flagship iPhones going back to the iPhone 3G. I kept the iPhone X longer than I’d kept any of my other iPhone models.

With that being said, I purchased the iPhone 11 Pro Max last year and loved it. Like your current iPhone XS model, it is in pristine condition. I didn’t have any intentions of getting the iPhone 12 Pro and I did NOT need it.

However, I visited a Best Buy with my GF and we briefly looked at it. Since I was with her, I couldn’t handle it as much as I typically would. Days later, I ordered one via the Apple Store app and picked it up hours later at the closest Apple Store (less than 3 miles away).

It was my intention to test it out and then return it. Well, I still have it......Do I need it? Nope. Is it much faster than my iPhone 11 Pro Max? Nope, but it’s indeed faster. Why did I keep it? Because I wanted to....(laughing). Seriously, its size was perfect for me and I really enjoy its design. That’s it.

Last edited:

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Like you, I’ve had almost all of Apple’s Flagship iPhones going back to the iPhone 3G. I kept the iPhone X longer than I’d kept any of my other iPhone models.

With that being said, I purchased the iPhone 11 Pro Max last year and loved it. Like your current iPhone XS model, it is in pristine condition. I didn’t have any intentions of getting the iPhone 12 Pro and I did NOT need it.

However, I visited a Best Buy with my GF and we briefly looked at it. Since I was with her, I couldn’t handle it as much as I typically would. Days later, I ordered one via the Apple Store app and picked it up hours later at the closest Apple Store (less than 3 miles away).

It was my intention to test it out and then return it. Well, I still have it......Do I need it? Nope. Is it much faster than my iPhone 11 Pro Max? Nope, but it’s indeed faster. Why did I keep it? Because I wanted to....(laughing). Seriously, it’s size was perfect for me and I really enjoy its design. That’s it.

Spence...

Did you get the Pro or Pro Max? Is the Pro smaller than my XS Max? So...do you like the smaller size compared to your 11 Pro Max?

By the way...you are a huge enabler, bro!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Spence...

Did you get the Pro or Pro Max? Is the Pro smaller than my XS Max? So...do you like the smaller size compared to your 11 Pro Max?

By the way...you are a huge enabler, bro!

(Laughing).... I have the iPhone 12 Pro model (Graphite color). The screen size of the XS Max is 6.5-inches whereas the screen size of the iPhone 12 Pro is 6.1 inches. The iPhone 12 Pro has a slimmer design and, for me, feels very nice to hold. It’s not too big or too small. I don’t have any regrets buying it, but I didn’t need it. Heck, I still have my iPhone 11 Pro Max as my backup phone.

With that being said, go ahead and spend the money. It’s Christmas time...(Laughing).

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As with others out there, I have had every iPhone since the first 2G model way back when. The past couple of models I have procrastinated about upgrading, but in the end I always do.

I usually go to the Apple store and play around with the new model before making my decision. I read all the tech blogs and see what the folks who get to review the product before it’s released think about it.

But, I take that with a grain of salt, nothing like holding the new product in your hands and being able to play around with it and make your own decision based on your overview of the product.

In the end, I end up buying the new device, I always tell folks to test it for themselves and if they have the financial resources to make the upgrade and feel comfortable spending the money, go for it, life is too short.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Coming from XS Max to 12 Pro Max I appreciate the camera system. In my case the reach and low light capabilities over the Pro. The 5G can be a plus and the battery life is great.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I’ve had every iPhone from the 4 up to the XS Max. I didn’t upgrade last year and used my XS Max for 20 months before upgrading to the 12 Pro Max. Coming from the XS Max, I have noticed how faster it is and the battery life so much better than my Xs Max which have a battery capacity of 92%. I charge my phone once a day and that is at bedtime. I usually end the day at 30-40% where as with my XS Max I had to charge almost twice a day to make it through the day. I love the bigger size, color, improved camera, option to use 5G or LTE, and square sides. The night mode is pretty awesome to use. I paid outright for mine with Apple, so my Verizon bill is still the same price. To be honest, I wouldn’t mind a pro Max bigger than 6.7.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I wanted the 12 Mini as soon as Apple announced it. I was just waiting for a good deal. For Black Friday T-Mobile had a free 12 Mini with trade-in of an iPhone 8 or better. I promptly grabbed one on eBay and got the Mini in Blue. Very happy with the decision.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I wanted the 12 Mini as soon as Apple announced it. I was just waiting for a good deal. For Black Friday T-Mobile had a free 12 Mini with trade-in of an iPhone 8 or better. I promptly grabbed one on eBay and got the Mini in Blue. Very happy with the decision.

You know I never thought to do that when upgrading.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
You know I never thought to do that when upgrading.
I always put a case and screen protector on the phone as soon as I unbox it. My devices pretty much stay pristine the entire duration. So it's always better to sell them on Swappa.com or eBay and then buy the lowest tier trade-in device from a reputed seller on eBay usually and trade it in. The difference usually pays for taxes and accessories from the old to the new phone and money in the pocket depending on the original device.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
I always put a case and screen protector on the phone as soon as I unbox it. My devices pretty much stay pristine the entire duration. So it's always better to sell them on Swappa.com or eBay and then buy the lowest tier trade-in device from a reputed seller on eBay usually and trade it in. The difference usually pays for taxes and accessories from the old to the new phone and money in the pocket depending on the original device.

I too put a screen protector and case on my phone as soon as it comes out the box. I haven’t had a phone break or the screen crack in all of the years I’ve owned phones. I would be so irritated to have a phone with a crack in it. For next year if I upgrade, I’m going to try and do what you did and see what happens.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner