Happy with your new Apple TV?

Are you happy with your Apple TV?

• Not happy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gbelford

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got one about two weeks ago and to be perfectly honest I'm rather disappointed with it.

I'm from Portugal so using Netflix is a no-go for me unless I go through ridiculous trouble of buying a new router and setting up a VPN just so I can use it.

I got it mainly as the center of my home media center.

But right now, without being able to jailbreak it and use PLEX, actually having to convert all my stuff into .MP4 is just a gigantic hassle that I don't have the time for.

Fact is that if you can't get Netflix on it, then there really isn't that much of a point of getting one until you can JB it for PLEX or anything else that allows for all formats.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I got one about two weeks ago and to be perfectly honest I'm rather disappointed with it.

I'm from Portugal so using Netflix is a no-go for me unless I go through ridiculous trouble of buying a new router and setting up a VPN just so I can use it.

I got it mainly as the center of my home media center.

But right now, without being able to jailbreak it and use PLEX, actually having to convert all my stuff into .MP4 is just a gigantic hassle that I don't have the time for.

Fact is that if you can't get Netflix on it, then there really isn't that much of a point of getting one until you can JB it for PLEX or anything else that allows for all formats.
While I agree with you and see your point of view, the primary reason I wanted one is to stream my music to my surround sound in the living room. It's so easy and simple for me to do this with the Apple TV - it just works.

Not to mention, the iPad interface is so incredibly fluent and easy to use making the experience that much better.

However, I will agree that apps need to come to this thing as soon as possible. I'll be spending a reasonable amount of time if I can have a browser and a few other apps that I prefer (Pandora).

gbelford

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with you and see your point of view, the primary reason I wanted one is to stream my music to my surround sound in the living room. It's so easy and simple for me to do this with the Apple TV - it just works.

Not to mention, the iPad interface is so incredibly fluent and easy to use making the experience that much better.

However, I will agree that apps need to come to this thing as soon as possible. I'll be spending a reasonable amount of time if I can have a browser and a few other apps that I prefer (Pandora).

After having owned it for a little longer, I've come to love other things about it.

Using it as a music player is a good option, and one that I'd love to explore further as soon as I can purchase a decent amp.

The main thing I don't like about it is that it is rather limited in terms of formats that will play, so that would be one of the first things I would change when I'm able to JB it.

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine for a month + and I really like it. Won't say love it, but I really do like it a lot. I like the netflix on it, it's so much better then the netflix app on my blu-ray player, and while I have an xbox 360, I don't subscribe to the gold membership, or even have it connected to the internet so that was not an option for me. i've been ripping blu-rays like crazy ever since I got it, while it seems silly to go through all the hassle of thatfrom the outside, once you get the process down, it's not that hard, and then i wind up with a file that will play on any of the iphones we have as well, I have to travel for work a good bit, and I never went through the process of converting stuff to mp4 formats so I could watch it on my iphone on the plane, now I have a growing library of tv shows and movies that I can watch on the big screen or on my iphone, which is awesome for serial TV shows (dexter, mad men, etc).

All in all I think I like the ecosystem of it the most right now. I'm really waiting for the JB to hit to see what this thing can really do.

klcrow8690

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since the launch in October, and besides the small bugs that most everyone else has seen, (Netflix is unavaiable, sporadic HDCP errors, ect. which are few and far inbetween) I love it. The intergration with Netflix, and the abiltiy to rent TV shows and movies from iTunes helped sell me on it. As a result we have taken our cable bill that was once $130 to just a $60 internet only through Comcast. So for a simple $103 investment (99 + 4 HDMI cable from Amazon), we have cut our monthly bill in half. Thank you Apple!

Carole Shelton

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
im new to this apple TV concept...i have comcast at home and pay for the service there but have a camper and a summer location that i dont want to pay another cable service fee for ...how can i get or can I get my comcast act on the apple TV at the camp site? any ideas
:confused:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Right now my new Apple TV is more of a MEH than a love or hate thing. Just trying to get Apple Support to well "Support" you was enough of a challenge and right now I cannot get more than a few albums to show up under "Computer". My large iTunes library is on a WD MyCloud Mirror, about 1TB and growing (I have dual 4TB drives in a RAID config) and I have family sharing turned on my MBP and my wifes Win7 both are current iTunes she has my iTunes set to the drop down and only a few albums show up, none of my hundreds of movies, shows, or other music. I will again try Apple support but honestly they are useless. Won't support an external HDD on a network connection only via USB which is a JOKE.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Love my Apple TVs. Got two, one in master bedroom and one in living room. With the recent price drop I'm considering buying another one for the kids bedroom and another as an extra just because the price is so good.

I cut the cord and got rid of cable a few months back. I stream all my shows and movies with a combination of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle (some old goodies) and Amazon Instant Video (through AirPlay).

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had an Apple TV since he 1st generation device. It is a daily part of my life. Eventually I plan on converting all of my tv shows from DVD to MP4 format, but I have yet to find an easy way to rip multiple seasons of shows and have it automatically name and tag each episode. Once I am able to do that, I can see my Apple TV being even more of a part of my life than it already is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2