In between 2 MacBooks

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Please any help would be great!

I am looking for my first MacBook and have found what looks to be 2 great deals but I am unsure what is the better MacBook to get.

So this will be for daily use internet surfing, paying bills YouTube really nothing special but I do like have the nicer product if I can better scream etc

1) MacBook Air
Year is a mid 13/ 13.3-Inch Laptop MD760LL/B, 1.4 GHz Intel i5 Dual Core Processor 8gig with 256ssd for 679.00

2) MacBook Pro
Year is late 13 13.3" Retina Display, i5 @ 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, OS X Yosemite this is for 699.00

I'm in between the 2 so can either of these have the memory or hard drive upgrade over the years? Is one in real world a better choice than the other.

mmedez

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi lambert. Welcome.

I too have the same situation with you. Have been considering purchasing a macboom and the two you mentioned are also part of my choices.

Since you are just into web surfing, youtube (content browsing). The macbook air will be more than enough for you. But if in the near future you might consider heavier task, i say go for the macbook pro. And because it packs a more powerful processor, longevity wise its a better choice than the air. IMHO

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Go for the air. Portability and discretion and elegance play some good differences in these 2 models while handling your mentioned needs with ease as well.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @Lambertoid 😃

For me, the decision is simple. The MacBook Pro is the winner. For a simple $30 more, you getting a much faster processor which will help in the long run. The SSD in the MacBook Pro is also faster so boot up times and app loading times will be better, the screen is higher resolution which allows you to watch some QHD videos!

The Pro is also smaller than the Air. So portability is great.

I can't comment on the upgrade part but 8GB ram will definitely be enough for your described usage. The storage should also be fine. Maybe get a 1TB hard drive for a back up of large files. The MacBook Pros frame is also a lot more sturdy which makes it feel a lot nicer to hold and use.

Hope this makes your decision easier. 😃

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with @Matty here. The Pro is going to be a better all-around computer. Honestly, there’s no bad choice but for $20 more the Pro seems like a decent upgrade. You can upgrade the SSD but the RAM is soldered directly onto the logicboard so it can’t be upgraded without replacing the entire logicboard.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, add me to the MackBook Pro list as well. I have to agree with Matty, Rob and Robert, the MacBook Pro would be your best option for $20 more.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So the MacBook Pro is my first MacBook. Will this last some years still? I know the phones and iPads last but with those specs can I expect lag stutter on everyday task or YouTube data backups etc.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
So the MacBook Pro is my first MacBook. Will this last some years still? I know the phones and iPads last but with those specs can I expect lag stutter on everyday task or YouTube data backups etc.
I have a Macbook Pro from Late 2011 that I still use as my main computer. It gets used for Android App Development, Web browsing, movies, school projects and the occasional game.

It's still working beautifully after all these years and the battery life still lasts me around 3 hours which I'm happy with.

So, look forward to keeping your new Macbook for a long time 😃 Well worth the money.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well they place selling it on new egg raised the price and never responded to my message. That is shady, my dilemma now is do I get a lower specked MacBook Pro around the same year? Or do I get the MacBook Air I described in the original post! Idk what to do on this one.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well they place selling it on new egg raised the price and never responded to my message. That is shady, my dilemma now is do I get a lower specked MacBook Pro around the same year? Or do I get the MacBook Air I described in the original post! Idk what to do on this one.

Depends on what the specs are on the other MBP?

If these are used, someone else may have jumped on it before you did.

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
Can't go wrong with either. Had that same decision back in 2012. Went with the Pro and the 500gb ssd. Sadly though this morning my Pro's SSD took a dump. So now I'm out looking for a good replacement SSD to revive it for another 5 years

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I found another deal from a local guy! 2014 MacBook Pro retina i5 processor 8gigs of ram and 128ssd or a 2013 MacBook Pro retina with the I5 8gigs of ram and 256ssd
He is selling either of the 2 for 760$ both in great condition! I'm thinking of getting the 2014!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I found another deal from a local guy! 2014 MacBook Pro retina i5 processor 8gigs of ram and 128ssd or a 2013 MacBook Pro retina with the I5 8gigs of ram and 256ssd
He is selling either of the 2 for 760$ both in great condition! I'm thinking of getting the 2014!

I"d double check the processor on the 2013 but I'd probably get that one because of the larger SSD. The 256gb SSD were also reported to be faster than the 128gb, and of course double the capacity.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! I will double check also the conditions as I'm going to day to choose however I do plan on upgrading the ssd to a 500gb at the least.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Just got back from picking up the 2014 MacBook Pro it is in great shape the guy gave me a 1 year warranty for it. The deciding factor was the battery cycles on the 13 was much higher! Extremely excited I made the plunge 760$ poorer but man this thing is worth it

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from picking up the 2014 MacBook Pro it is in great shape the guy gave me a 1 year warranty for it. The deciding factor was the battery cycles on the 13 was much higher! Extremely excited I made the plunge 760$ poorer but man this thing is worth it
Congrats on the new MBP!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Congrats! Make sure you stick around and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Congrats! Make sure you stick around and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

I definitely will be ive been on an iPhone since last august and lived it enough to get a MacBook. Now when I use my work PC they feel so slow it's sad! I do like some parts of android but not enough to switch back. I wouldn't get an s8 and the pixel is old in android years! That what I love about Apple the only reason I even left my 6s+ was for water resistance other than that I was happy with it! So I will be around for a while

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl