Gen 2 AirPods anytime soon?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
They usually upgrade some things yearly when on schedule, but has anyone heard rumors on the second generation AirPods? They could have Bluetooth 5 and other neat technologies for their second iteration, and you know how some of Apple’s second or third iterations do amazingly well. But I don’t recall seeing a thing on them. Has anyone else seen any reports on them?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope. All blank here.
It might not even be announced this year, as they are still really hard to get in stores. Give it some more time, like they did with the Watch.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Hopefully the Gen 2 comes out in a variety of colours.. like hmm.. matte black? :p

Oh and better battery life

I hope the next generation AirPods are louder. I work in an automotive shop, so it can get loud when listening with just one. They increased the volume of the iPhone 7, iPad Pro models, and the 2016 MacBook Pros, so hopefully they can do the same for the next generation AirPods.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I hope the next generation AirPods are louder. I work in an automotive shop, so it can get loud when listening with just one. They increased the volume of the iPhone 7, iPad Pro models, and the 2016 MacBook Pros, so hopefully they can do the same for the next generation AirPods.

Apparently Apple already did increased the production of the AirPods according to Tim Cook.

Louder and noise cancellation would be perfect!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
In the iOS 11 beta there are more controls for the airpods, such as Next Track and Previous Track. You can set what happens if you tap the left or the right airpod separately; so you can set the Left to Next Track and the Right to Previous Track; or Siri on the Left and Next Track on the Right. I just wish they had added double tap options, as well, but it is still a nice improvement.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They usually upgrade some things yearly when on schedule, but has anyone heard rumors on the second generation AirPods? They could have Bluetooth 5 and other neat technologies for their second iteration, and you know how some of Apple’s second or third iterations do amazingly well. But I don’t recall seeing a thing on them. Has anyone else seen any reports on them?

They can barely keep the current gen in stock. They should probably hold off on any discussion on a second gen model lol.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
They can barely keep the current gen in stock. They should probably hold off on any discussion on a second gen model lol.

They seem to have a lot of that in recent times, with the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard, then with the 2nd gen. Apple Watch, as well as the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus for months after its launch, and now with the AirPods, that are finally catching up even though they were supposed to be released close to the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure it's just a part of their marketing strategy.

Oh gosh I hope not, moving their shopping dates from six weeks to four weeks is still a long time for many people. And that’s been happening a lot recently with a lot of their accessory devices, from Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard to the Apple Watch. We just want them, so please ship them lol

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Considering the Apple Pencil is almost 2 years old, it’s highly unlikely. I don’t think they need to update accessories yearly.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it's just a part of their marketing strategy.

Considering they make very little on these, that’s highly unlikely. These have a very small profit margin. Very small. No reason to keep AirPods back ordered on purpose.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone has heard anything about new AirPods. I'd like them in black, but mainly I'm holding out for wireless charging and I seem to recall that being mentioned at the iPhone X intro.

Any news or rumors?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone has heard anything about new AirPods. I'd like them in black, but mainly I'm holding out for wireless charging and I seem to recall that being mentioned at the iPhone X intro.

Any news or rumors?

I've heard nothing about new AirPods being released. What was talked about last fall, and should be released in the next month or two with the AirDock, is a charging case you can buy separately that allows wireless charging. My understanding is that the new charger will only be available as an add-on; that AirPods will continue to be sold with the current charger in the box.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What was talked about last fall, and should be released in the next month or two with the AirDock, is a charging case you can buy separately that allows wireless charging. My understanding is that the new charger will only be available as an add-on; that AirPods will continue to be sold with the current charger in the box.

I hope you're wrong. It seems silly to have to buy two cases.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I hope you're wrong. It seems silly to have to buy two cases.

My guess is that they will all start being sold with the wireless case as standard. Anyone that bought AirPods before the wireless case was standard will be able to upgrade to it for $69 or however much it is to buy an AirPod or case separate. They’re wanting to move forward with wireless so I think they will make the wireless case standard in order to see this through and get more wireless devices out there. Plus, the more people have AirPods that can charge wirelessly, the more we will have reason to buy the Air Power charging mat that will be coming later this year.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that they will all start being sold with the wireless case as standard. Anyone that bought AirPods before the wireless case was standard will be able to upgrade to it for $69 or however much it is to buy an AirPod or case separate. They’re wanting to move forward with wireless so I think they will make the wireless case standard in order to see this through and get more wireless devices out there. Plus, the more people have AirPods that can charge wirelessly, the more we will have reason to buy the Air Power charging mat that will be coming later this year.

Regardless of if they start shipping AirPods with the wireless case, there is no indication that the AirPods themselves will be updated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77