Finally, a mini-usb to iphone plug adapter

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Stumbled onto this: DealExtreme: $2.70 5-Pin Mini USB Converter Adapter for iPhone 2G/3G - Black

If wired correctly, it should enable me to use my old mini-usb plug Motorola cell phone chargers with my iPhone. I'm already using this with the motorola chargers and a sync cable (but I end up with about 3 feet too much cable):
USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin F Adapter Converter US - eBay (item 180459079993 end time Sep-17-10 09:07:17 PDT)

Everybody in my family has an iPhone and someone is constantly loosing or breaking the OEM chargers/sync cables (especially the genuine Apple sync cables . . . they suck!). We've got a pile of the old mini-usb chargers so now I should be able to put them to good use.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I would be worried about the motorola charger not supplying the correct amps and current and ruining the battery.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Your point is well taken. The little Apple cube shaped chargers are 5 volts dc and are rated at 1 amp. Those Motorola chargers with the mini-usb plugs are 5 vdc and are typically rated at 550 milli-amps (mA), or 0.55 amps.

I've got an electronics salvage store close by and I've played with plenty of different chargers with usb outputs. So far, as long as they meet the 5vdc and a minimum of 550 mA my 3Gs will allow charging. But anything less than the 550 mA and it won't go into charge mode.

I'm an electrical engineer by training but I have to admit that I know little about battery technology. Based on what little research I've done, batterys are not damaged by low charge currents but can be damaged by too much charging current.

I'd love to hear from some battery experts on this.

Cheers,

Keith

OrionAntares

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I would be worried about the motorola charger not supplying the correct amps and current and ruining the battery.

The battery wouldn't be the concern in this case but the charger itself. If the device tries to pull more current than the charger is designed to supply it can over heat and possibly melt the charger.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2