New Blueant Q1 firmware breaks voice dialing

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I have a Blueant Q1 headset. I just applied the 8.19 firmware update to it. A2DP is great, but the update totally broke iPhone voice dialing. I called BlueAnt support but they will not acknowledge the problem (yet). Hope the next update fixes it. Soon.

Anyone have a Q1 with 8.19 firmware that is still able to voice dial their iPhonev? I tried it on another phone (Samsung) and the voice dialing works fine.

For the record, I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 firmware.

Vic_C

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3GS and did the update to my Q1 about a week ago when it came out and all works fine. Both speed dial and voice dial are working no problem. My iPhone is jailbroke also. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Right - I should have said speed dial with the Q1 is broken. I realize voice dial means something else on the 3Gs, but I only have a 3G.

james048a

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the Q1 i got last week and updated to 8.19 and paired with my iphone 3G 3.1.2(non-jailbroke) my voice speed dial over the Q1 is working fine. Did you have voice dial before the Q1? through the jailbroken iphone you have voice dial? I been thinking about jailbraking my iphone but still reseaching if it is worth it to me.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
try contacting the manufacturer of the bluetooth device

it was working before and as you said, their update broke it, so thus only they can fix it.

matt-blueant

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, mcdan333. Sorry to hear you are having problems with voice dials after a firmware update.

This is a known issue with the iPhone: it's basically to do with the phone not fully clearing the old pairing information before you re-pair your Q1 after the update.

The resolution is that every time you do a firmware update on your Q1 you need to delete the old pairing from your phone, then turn your phone off and back on again before re-pairing it with the Q1. If you just delete the old pairing but don't power the iPhone off and back on again, then it still has the old pairing info cached in its memory and this causes the problems with speed dials.

As you have already re-paired after the update, here's what you need to do now to fix it:

1. On your phone, go to Settings > General > Bluetooth.
2. Locate the BlueAnt Q1 in the list, tap the blue arrow on the right and then tap "Forget this Device".
3. Power down your iPhone by holding down the Sleep/Wake button on the top right.
4. Now reset your Q1 by clicking all three buttons together (or by going to the Q1 "Settings Menu" and using the "Reset the Q1" command). Your Q1 will reset and go into pairing mode.
5. Now power your iPhone back on, go to the Bluetooth menu and re-pair it with the Q1.

This should get your speed dials back up and running: you should now be able to say Call Speed Dial 1 - 8 and the Q1 will dial the corresponding number from your iPhone Favorites.

If you have stored any speed dial numbers in the Q1 headset itself, then these do get deleted when you firmware update and when you reset the Q1, so you will need to set those up again. See the manual on our website for help with this.

Hope that helps: if you have any further problems with your Q1, do give our customer service team a call and they will talk you through it.

Matt,
BlueAnt Wireless

Reactions: Alli

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Matt,

Thank you for the reply. It's nice to know that BlueAnt folks are watching this forum.

Ok, I re-did the firmware upgrade, deleted the pairing, rebooted the iphone, repaired, and now I have everything working again - speed dialing and A2DP (which I had also somehow lost in the process).

I am once again very pleased with the features and performance of the Q1.

Eric

Last edited:

iphone4idiots

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Matt,

I was having same issue as @mcdan333 on my iPhone 3G (jailbroken). Upgrading to 8.19 and repairing fixed the issue. This is a very nice product.

Thanks

jeffkrenn

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Question regarding the Q1's ability to activate 3GS voice control

I realize the Q1 has it's own voice control. This has caused my question to be litereally impossible to research online.

I am curious if the Q1 can initiate the IPHONE 3GS' VOICE CONTROL feature. The one you activate by holding down the iPhone's home button.

using my current bluetooth earpiece, by holding down the earpiece's button for a few moments, the blue voice control screen pops up on the iPhone screen. I can then speak "call _______" and insert any name from my phone that I wish, giving me more than 8 speed dial numbers worth of options.

Can anyone help me answer this question? it's been driving me nuts because I use the iPhone's voice control feature with my BT earpiece so much while driving that I'm afraid I would be lost without the ability to do so. the Q1 seems great but I'd want to know that this feature is compatible before buying one.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I realize the Q1 has it's own voice control. This has caused my question to be litereally impossible to research online.

I am curious if the Q1 can initiate the IPHONE 3GS' VOICE CONTROL feature. The one you activate by holding down the iPhone's home button.

using my current bluetooth earpiece, by holding down the earpiece's button for a few moments, the blue voice control screen pops up on the iPhone screen. I can then speak "call _______" and insert any name from my phone that I wish, giving me more than 8 speed dial numbers worth of options.

Can anyone help me answer this question? it's been driving me nuts because I use the iPhone's voice control feature with my BT earpiece so much while driving that I'm afraid I would be lost without the ability to do so. the Q1 seems great but I'd want to know that this feature is compatible before buying one.

Thanks!!
This is a question to ask the manufacturer of the bluetooth device

jeffkrenn

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I figured someone could speak from experience since I am sure I'm not the only one who loves the iPhone 3GS's voice control feature.

Anyway I finally found the answer, so i'll share in case anyone else is interested:

If you are an iPhone 3GS user, you can use the iPhone's new voice control feature with your BlueAnt headset or speakerphone.

Please note: in order to use the iPhone voice control feature with any Bluetooth device you must be running iPhone OS 3.1 on your iPhone 3GS. You can update your iPhone by connecting it to your computer and clicking the Check for Update button in iTunes.

You must also have already paired and connected your BlueAnt device to your iPhone 3GS.

The way you activate the iPhone's voice control feature depends on your BlueAnt device:

* If you have a Q1 or V1, press the BlueAnt button, wait for your BlueAnt to ask you to "Say a command", and then say "Phone Commands".
* If you have a Z9i, press the BlueAnt button once.
* If you have an S1, Supertooth Light or Supertooth 3, press the green accept call button for 1 second.

You can now use the iPhone's voice commands to call contacts and play music. For example:

* To call a contact, say "call" or "dial," then say the name of the person.
* To play music, say "play," then say "album," "artist," or "playlist" followed by the name of the album, artist or playlist you want to hear.

sharonk868

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I have a Blueant Q1 headset. I just applied the 8.19 firmware update to it. A2DP is great, but the update totally broke iPhone voice dialing. I called BlueAnt support but they will not acknowledge the problem (yet). Hope the next update fixes it. Soon.

Anyone have a Q1 with 8.19 firmware that is still able to voice dial their iPhonev? I tried it on another phone (Samsung) and the voice dialing works fine.

For the record, I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 firmware.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234