Invisible Shield vs Body Guardz vs Clear-Coat

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i am purchasing my first iPhone in August. going with the 3GS 32gb model and i really want to protect it. i have (and still am) considering a case for my iPhone in lieu of these protectors, but was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them that might set one apart from the others?

i have read many posts here on TiPb that discuss the Invisible Shield. not to much chatter about Body Guardz and Clear-Coat though. the Clear-Coat video demonstration is impressive, and i did also watch the video demo for installation. seems doable.

anyway, what suggestions would you have for an iPhone n00b? skip the screen protector altogether? get the back protector? or just go with a case and forget protectors completely?

thanks

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I personally use an incase slider but tonight will be adding an invisible shield as well to the back of my 3GS. I will not be applying the screen guard though as I am not willing to give up the oleophobic coatig.

SmallvilleNY

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Well as of my experience I used invisible shield with my iPhone 3G and my wife iPhone, it's kind of difficult to attached the corners and need to press hard and wait for an hour or two to stick it to the corner. After 3 weeks it peeling off by itself, especially if the iPhone is always in the pocket. I removed it completely and request for replacement, well I guess that's the beauty of lifetime replacement. Another thing that I noticed is the invisible shield turned it yellowish after sometime for white iPhone and it looks bad. Just a thought... I'll try bodyguardz!

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I use BodyGuardz. I have it on my 3G and 3GS. It's a pain in the rear to put on but it is definitely worth the investment.

Also on top of that also user Marware's Sports Grip for a case. These two things have kept my I phone looking brand spanking new. If I had to sell my 3G it would look like day one especially because of the BodyGuardz. Nice and clean no scratches.

One other negative aspect of probably any clear body cover is if you have a Mophie Juice Pack. It makes taking the iPhone out of the Juice Pack a little stiffer.

If you want to protect the screen and the body I highly recommend some type of covering. By the way it does not affect the functionality of the touch screen.

Shuckster

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I personally use an incase slider but tonight will be adding an invisible shield as well to the back of my 3GS. I will not be applying the screen guard though as I am not willing to give up the oleophobic coatig.

The oleophobic coating is what Apple put on the screen right. So you don't use a screen protector?? Is that a good idea??

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I had an InvisibleShield screen protector on my iPhone 2G, and I didn't put it on very straight. I was afraid about the amount of fluid it recommended using to position the IS, so I don't think I used enough and it stuck before I was ready. I tried to pull it up, and it stretched a little so, it slightly hung over the earpiece speaker and onto the chrome bezel. That has bothered me since. But it worked very well as a screen protector and it is still on the phone over 1.5 years later, without discoloration or any sign of damage. I realized the application of the InvisibleShield is key. I used the Marware CEO Sleeve for my case, with the InvisibleShield, and I was very happy with it.

I now have the iPhone 3GS, and I wanted to do something different. I got the Incipio Feather to protect the back/body of the iPhone from scratches, and for more grip. It came with two screen protectors, so I applied one. I realized that I really missed the oleophobic coating of the 3GS, and the screen protector had a "rainbow" haze to it when looking at it from certain angles. I ended up taking off the screen protector. There is a huge difference between the 3GS screen coating vs the InvisibleShield or Incipio screen protector as far as fingerprints and smudges. And my iPhone 3GS fits in my Marware Sleeve with the Feather case on! (In case I don't want it in my pocket) That's a bonus! :D

If I decide to protect my iPhone 3GS screen, I'd strongly consider getting the InvisibleShield again, especially since they've gotten better since I got mine, from what I hear. But I wasn't so impressed with it that I wouldn't consider other screen protectors. Hopefully it won't get scratched before I decide!

DocGo

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I use a simpleback BSE on the back of my iPhone. I have tried invisibleshields and BodyGuardz before...for me, either their material is too thick or not cut quite right so I end up removing them within a week or two. The full back (1-piece) BSE fits perfectly but I like using cases on my iPhone too so I decided to use the simple back, so it doesn't interfere too much with cases.
For the screen, I use Powersupport crystal clear protector.

Walker

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm seriously considering getting a shield mailed from gadgetshieldz.com instead of these big names. It costs $7.49 instead of $25 and its the same material as the one used by bodyguardz or invisible shield. I've seen bestshieldsever (sp?) sell around the same price but they don't give you free shipping so that compounds charges. :?

Walker

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't know mate, why would you want to pay more on ebay by involving a third party thats only there to make profits on the product you could otherwise get for much cheaper from the manufacturer? I got mine shipped for free from gadgetshieldz. The solution to make the shield stick to the device is just a water and soap solution so I wouldn't pay for it if I were you. :cool:

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I have had an Invisible Sheild screen protector on my 3g for a few months now and I love it. I use a DLO jam jacket to protect the body. I tried the screen protectors that came with the DLO and they just got scratched up. I had the Sheild professionally applied ($5 more) and he did a great job. It does have a sort of texture on it like a mild orange skin, but that only can be seen at a certian angle - you can't feel it. I am a contractor so my iPhone gets shoved in my pocket with screws, nails, knives, and debris and so far my Sheild has only two minute imperfections on it - not enought to affect the visuals. It comes with a lifetime guarantee so if I decide that they bug me, I just swap it out for free and pay $5 for a reinstallation fee. It cleans up real nice if dirty. I am totally satisfied with the Invisible Sheild as a screen protector (for $20 I had better be!)

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I tried the clear coat product and gave up. I'm very good with my hands and canhandle small details well, but getting the clear coat shield lined up with the silence switch and volume buttons along with getting it to stick to the edges was a royal pain. I had no interest in using the screen protector. I gave up and tossed it in the trash. Based on years of using Treos and Palms- unless one carries the phone in a pocket with keys and coins, simple care will protect the screen just fine. As to protecting the back - I'm finding the iPhone quite durable. No scratches yet. I carry mine in a Seidio holster or an empty pocket and when I put it down on a table I'm gentle. I just ordered a stand for use on my desk. FWIW

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2