Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Question Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4

I think I did everything right but I just cant figure it out.

The file I downloaded is a short snippet of the FOX NFL tone in .m4r format.

With the file on my desktop I have tried 2 things and neither work.

1. With my iPhone hooked up I drag the file to my Tones folder in iTunes only to get the red stop symbol.

2. I go into the iPhone through Windows Explorer and try to put it in there but it does the same thing.

Note: I am on my work computer which I typically do not use for my iPhone, could it be that the this is not the primary computer and I need to do this on my home pc?

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You will need to use the sync method. See the screenshots that are attached to this reply. Of course, they are for multiple ringtones, but will work for a single ringtone all the same. Just apply it to YOUR situation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347712397.524773.jpg   Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347712410.878022.jpg   Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347712421.131516.jpg   Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347712430.154707.jpg   Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347712440.035745.jpg  

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Ironic, isn't it? You don't need a computer for anything related to the iOS devices except (possibly) updating the iOS to subsequent major releases (so far, "point" releases have been available as OTA updates) and adding homegrown ringtones. I expect both to change soon... but for now... *sigh*
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Ironic, isn't it? You don't need a computer for anything related to the iOS devices except (possibly) updating the iOS to subsequent major releases (so far, "point" releases have been available as OTA updates) and adding homegrown ringtones. I expect both to change soon... but for now... *sigh*
    I agree, my friend...
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Help with transferring downloaded ringtone to Iphone 4

Thank u so much for the step by step help even though I have new itunes it still worked