Questions about how to keep my unlimited data plan...sorry I know I'm late to the party

sandblaster109

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I have an old Iphone 4 and am willing to buy a new phone outright if needed. I was told by the rep at one Verizon store that I would not be able to keep my plan even if I bought the phone or brought in a used phone...basically no matter what I did I would lose my plan. So of course I did not want to spend a bunch of money and then lose my plan anyway. So I'm reading the old threads on here (from about a year ago) that they were telling people this and it was a lie, but I'm wondering if it is still a lie or if they have cracked down on these plans now.

If I can still keep my plan what is the cleanest way to do it.

Also if I were to buy a gently used phone (I've looked a lot on the site Swappa) what am I looking for in terms of long term functionality. Clearly I've been happy living with an old phone for a while so I'm not one who needs to upgrade frequently (mine is 8g and is out of memory) but I want to be able to keep this next phone for a long time. I was looking at the 5S but thought maybe I just need to go ahead and move on the the 6? Also do I need to stay away from the ones that say factory unlocked or unlocked? Will those work with Verizon?

Also I'm a little confused about SIM cards as my current phone does not have one. Do the phones I might buy online come with one or would I need to try to obtain one from Verizon?

I appreciate anyone who is willing to walk me through this process. Thanks in advance.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe Verizon has discontinued unlimited plans for everyone but those that still have them - and a change of equipment will require changing to a currently available plan.

sandblaster109

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok well I do have and have had unlimited for many years. I was told at one store as long as I bought the phone at full retail I could keep it yet while I was visiting family over the holidays and planned to buy the phone I was then told this story that I could not keep the plan under any circumstances.

I just didn't know if I was getting the runaround or if the rules had changed.

Thanks

travo112

May 22, 2012
Visit site
If you purchase at full retail you can still keep your unlimited. I just was able to go through the process online choosing full price and it did not make me change my data plan, as it has allowed numerous times before. I also contacted people I worked with when I worked for verizon and they confirmed that this has not changed.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Check these forums. I could swear I've seen fairly recent postings about how people got around this and kept unlimited data. Something to do with creating a data only iPad line. But I'm on AT&T so I don't know the details.

Likewise, I’m with AT&T, so I am not an authority on what VZW does. My son is a cop, and as a city employee, their corporate sponsorship with VZW does continue to allow them to get subsidized phones and retain their unlimited data. That may very well be a "one off", but if the OP has a corporate sponsorship deal, he may be able to keep the unlimited data. Or not.

IamMasterChat

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Also I'm a little confused about SIM cards as my current phone does not have one. Do the phones I might buy online come with one or would I need to try to obtain one from Verizon?

=====GSM phones uses sim cards but CDMA phones don't have sim cards. I think Verizon only has CDMA phones.

kdeckels

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
With Verizon you can buy a used phone & they will give you a SIM card & activate it for you for free as long as it's a corporate store - at least in my area. I've done it several times & still have my unlimited. If you already have the sim you can do it online.

craftEcowgirl

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I have Samsung note 2 with Verizon and it has a sim card. I plan on buying an Iphone 6 plus soon, going to buy at full price and keep my unlimited data

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77