Questions about keeping my unlimited data, please help!

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
My VZW contract is up on the 29th. I'm currently on the 1400 minute NW talk & text family plan with unlimited data. We have 2 lines together on the family plan and we are both do for our upgrades, we have been eligible since August but don't want to lose unlimited data. I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile and getting the unlimited plan for us but it's more expensive than my current plan. Once my contract does end on the 29th do I lose my current plan? Or am I just month to month, basically off-contract? I'm curious on what happens once the 29th hits?

Line 1 - Unlimited Data (Eligible for upgrade Now
Line 2 - Unlimited Data (Eligible for upgrade Now)

Anyways, I need help better understanding this "dummy line" method for keep unlimited data. I'm trying to upgrade to an 32gb iPhone 5s and my wife wants a 16gb 5c. A kind user here at the forums, DayThyme, wrote what to do be I'm still having a hard time what do, I need a very detailed guide on how to do this. I'm nervous that I'll go ahead and try this only to screw it up and lose my plan/data.

1. Add a line - the line will come with a subsidized phone;
2. Pick the 2GB data plan and an iPhone;
3. Activate the new iPhone on the new line;
4. Activate a dumbphone on the new line and drop the data plan (this may happen automatically or you may have to call to get the data plan removed);
5. Activate the new iPhone on one of your unlimited data lines by using the SIM card that came with the iPhone or by getting a new SIM card for it;
6. Transfer one of the unlimited data line's upgrades to the dumbphone line and repeat steps 2-5.

I'm not really tech savvy so this is why it's hard for me to understand. I thank anyone ahead of time for there help. It's pretty urgent that I get this resolved and make the best decision, whether to stay with VZW or say adios.

Thanks for your time and help!

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Another thing to consider... Use your MyVerizon account management web site and examine your data usage for as far back as you can... Figure out how much data you've actually used on average... And peak use... then see if perhaps one of Verizon's SahreEverything plans would be sufficient to meet your needs... then you're not on the hook for an added line on your account that isn't used... And The Share plans include tethering at no additional charge...

Just a thought...

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Unlimited data is nice but with wifi pretty much everywhere its not that big of a deal. Once your contract is up you go month to month- you won't lose your current plan unless you upgrade your device

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You can indeed add the so-called "dummy line" but that would only take care of one phone, not both. Also, you would be adding another phone to your account, which you would have to pay for over the course of 24 months. Doing the math, you'd be better off buying the iPhone full price.

Basic phone per month: $30
Termof contract: 24 months
Total: $660 over the course of the contract

iPhone retail price: $649.99

The only way to get around keeping unlimited data is if you have an existing line with a limited data plan AND an upgrade available or a basic phone with no data or limited data AND an upgrade. In that scenario, you would upgrade that line, then swap the phones.

Realistically, most people don't need unlimited data. It just sounds nice because it has the word unlimited. I hear the argument of "it's good to have in case I need it" but, again, most never do. Right now the customers with unlimited data who want to upgrade are offered the Verizon MAX 6GB plan. This leaves the plan the same, costs are the same, but takes unlimited data and limits it to 6GB. I believe that 99% of people are perfectly fine with 6GB of data.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck, and happy holidays!

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Another thing to consider... Use your MyVerizon account management web site and examine your data usage for as far back as you can... Figure out how much data you've actually used on average... And peak use... then see if perhaps one of Verizon's SahreEverything plans would be sufficient to meet your needs... then you're not on the hook for an added line on your account that isn't used... And The Share plans include tethering at no additional charge...

Just a thought...

I checked my bills for for 2012 and up until now, here are the GB usuage for just my my line. I didn't list the 2 line's data usage (my wifes phone) but I looked at my wife's and she around 1-1.5GB average. I use a lot more due to the fact that my son uses my phone too when we are out. The highest I've ever went was around 14GB it says but that was just 1 month. Do you guys think doing the dummy line to just to keep unlimited data is a waste of money and time? Isn't there a special promotion going on right now where Verizon gives each line 6GB of data to use if you switch from unlimited? Also, we don't even use that many minutes, we are never close to 1400 minutes, are all Verizon plans now unlimited minutes & text?

2013:

Bill Period: October 23, 2013 - November 22, 2013
.81218GB

Bill Period: September 23, 2013 - October 22, 2013
2.99594GB

Bill Period: August 23, 2013 - September 22, 2013
4.67530GB

Bill Period: July 23, 2013 - August 22, 2013
5.17864GB

Bill Period: June 23, 2013 - July 22, 2013
1.85785GB

Bill Period: May 23, 2013 - June 22, 2013
1.82415GB

Bill Period: April 23, 2013 - May 22, 2013
3.68185GB

Bill Period: March 23, 2013 - April 22, 2013
2.67369GB

Bill Period: February 23, 2013 - March 22, 2013
2.86153GB

Bill Period: January 23, 2013 - February 22, 2013
7.60007GB

Bill Period: December 23, 2012 - January 22, 2013
(12/23 - 01/01) 8.19697GB
(01/02 - 01/22) 5.47685GB

2012:

Bill Period: December 23, 2012 - January 22, 2013
(12/23 - 01/01) 8.19697GB
(01/02 - 01/22) 5.47685GB

Bill Period: November 23, 2012 - December 22, 2012
5.70679GB

Bill Period: October 23, 2012 - November 22, 2012
5.30144GB

Bill Period: September 23, 2012 - October 22, 2012
10.31294GB

Bill Period: August 23, 2012 - September 22, 2012
7.27072GB

Bill Period: July 23, 2012 - August 22, 2012
6.94757GB

Bill Period: June 23, 2012 - July 22, 2012
(06/23 - 07/17) 3.59141GB
(07/18 - 07/22) 1.04709GB

Bill Period: May 23, 2012 - June 22, 2012
1.04599GB

Anyone know the best place for iPhone deals? I saw the 32GB iPhone 5s at Best Buy for $229.99, everywhere else seems to be $299.99. BB also has the 16GB iPhone 5c for $0 which I think is most places.

Last edited:

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I checked my bills for for 2012 and up until now, here are the GB usuage for just my my line. I didn't list the 2 line's data usage (my wifes phone) but I looked at my wife's and she around 1-1.5GB average. I use a lot more due to the fact that my son uses my phone too when we are out. The highest I've ever went was around 14GB it says but that was just 1 month. Do you guys think doing the dummy line to just to keep unlimited data is a waste of money and time? Isn't there a special promotion going on right now where Verizon gives each line 6GB of data to use if you switch from unlimited? Also, we don't even use that many minutes, we are never close to 1400 minutes, are all Verizon plans now unlimited minutes & text?

Anyone know the best place for iPhone deals? I saw the 32GB iPhone 5s at Best Buy for $229.99, everywhere else seems to be $299.99. BB also has the 16GB iPhone 5c for $0 which I think is most places.

Like I stated above, the 6GB plan is the offer that Verizon has for customers who are being taken off unlimited data, which I feel is more than sufficient for the average user. And yes, the share everything plans are all now unlimited talk and text only.

Try Walmart and BB for the best deals on the iPhones.

Good luck, happy new year!

Vesto

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Just went through the same thing yesterday Was offered the 6GB in exchange for my unlimited and I continue to pay my $30 for data and original nationwide 1400 minutes unlimited txt for the family plan I'm on. Wish I would have known about the BestBuy pricing and I would have bought from there instead of the Verizon store.

Surprisingly I'm back on my unlimited plan with the new phone. While upgrading another line that currently had a basic phone, the representative said that for people switching from their unlimited plan to the 6GB they can go back to the unlimited after a month. I persuaded her to go ahead and place it back on my line right now. Also, for the basic line I was upgrading and 1 other recently upgraded last month (both Galaxy S4), they were able to use apply a BlackBerry Unlimited Data plan to them and it worked. So currently I have the 3 lines with my $30 unlimited data and the other 2 with $20 unlimited data. Didn't want to chance anything by placing my line on the BB unlimited and hopefully everything is still in place by the end of the cycle. Maybe you'll have luck with your representative as well.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Just went through the same thing yesterday Was offered the 6GB in exchange for my unlimited and I continue to pay my $30 for data and original nationwide 1400 minutes unlimited txt for the family plan I'm on. Wish I would have known about the BestBuy pricing and I would have bought from there instead of the Verizon store.

Surprisingly I'm back on my unlimited plan with the new phone. While upgrading another line that currently had a basic phone, the representative said that for people switching from their unlimited plan to the 6GB they can go back to the unlimited after a month. I persuaded her to go ahead and place it back on my line right now. Also, for the basic line I was upgrading and 1 other recently upgraded last month (both Galaxy S4), they were able to use apply a BlackBerry Unlimited Data plan to them and it worked. So currently I have the 3 lines with my $30 unlimited data and the other 2 with $20 unlimited data. Didn't want to chance anything by placing my line on the BB unlimited and hopefully everything is still in place by the end of the cycle. Maybe you'll have luck with your representative as well.

Once your off unlimited your off unless there a was mistake somewhere. I never, ever, heard of someone being removed from unlimited data, put on a new data plan, and then was able to not only cancel that data plan they just switched too but go back to unlimited. Is that your saying happened, lol?

Vesto

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Once your off unlimited your off unless there a was mistake somewhere. I never, ever, heard of someone being removed from unlimited data, put on a new data plan, and then was able to not only cancel that data plan they just switched too but go back to unlimited. Is that your saying happened, lol?
yes thats exactly what happened.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to update everyone.

I was able to keep my unlimited data by going through Best Buy. I don't recommend this method as it was a pain in the ****. Yes, I got to upgrade to new phones and still keep my 1400 minutes and unlimited data but It was difficult and a test to my patience. I'd highly advise anyone with unl data who is looking to upgrade to stick with the dummy line trick. This Best Buy "error" could work for you but I wouldn't risk it, sooner or later they will pick up on it. One customer got there unlimited data back right and away but the second customer had to make several phone calls and keep grinding. I had to wait a few days until I got a decisions on whether or not I was getting to keep my unlimited data. I must of busted there balls every time I called. I also had a lot screenshots of the entire process which helped my cause and all of my receipts. I even recorded the chat between myself and the BB rep. Anyways, if anyone needs help just let me know.

Happy Holidays!

John Leicht

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
But don't you have to go on the edge plan and pay full price for the phone over two years. Or can you get the subsidized phone with max when going from unlimited.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll