Your iPhone can explain the warning lights on your dash with iOS 17

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This will be very helpful! I hate pulling out my owner's manuals, which are so huge and voluminous to look up what a symbol means.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Oh I can see this now.

“I was driving down the road and this light came on my dash, so got out my phone to see what it was……..and I never saw that tree.”

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
They’re pretty universal if it’s about warning light/ikons. And I don’t know if any motor mfr is still using the old “count the blinks” interior light codes.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
They’re pretty universal if it’s about warning light/ikons. And I don’t know if any motor mfr is still using the old “count the blinks” interior light codes.
Count the what now?

Both my old and current cars use dashboard lights. The current car even provides a written description with what’s wrong with it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Oh I can see this now.

“I was driving down the road and this light came on my dash, so got out my phone to see what it was……..and I never saw that tree.”
Yep!!! And why many states now have some form of distracted driving laws.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Count the what now?

Both my old and current cars use dashboard lights. The current car even provides a written description with what’s wrong with it.

almost everything uses dashboard lights/ikons which are either red or amber and some blink,or flash if you prefer, indicating particular areas or urgencies. Other marques use the interior overhead light to blink a certain number of times to indicate a code. Rather like the codes OBD 2 uses. If I remember rightly Nissan was the first mfr that I saw this in (40 years ago ?) and as I said, I don’t know if this is still done. A camera,counting app would have been very useful. Also for Buoy identification in the English Channel !!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
almost everything uses dashboard lights/ikons which are either red or amber and some blink,or flash if you prefer, indicating particular areas or urgencies. Other marques use the interior overhead light to blink a certain number of times to indicate a code. Rather like the codes OBD 2 uses. If I remember rightly Nissan was the first mfr that I saw this in (40 years ago ?) and as I said, I don’t know if this is still done. A camera,counting app would have been very useful.

I believe they moved from indoor overhead light blinking to ODB2 in all North American cars, as that port is just required by regulation. However, I have no reliable way of confirming that.
Also for Buoy identification in the English Channel !!
Same for the St. Lawrence Seaway.

And here’s an app idea. Visual identification of maritime navigation aids (buoys, lighthouses, etc.)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The question might be: why do we need an app for it ? there have been talking cars before, that could actually tell you what was going on without the need to look at a screen ! (not that the feature was popular, funny yes, popular no !)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The question might be: why do we need an app for it ? there have been talking cars before, that could actually tell you what was going on without the need to look at a screen ! (not that the feature was popular, funny yes, popular no !)

Because most cars don't have that feature you speak of.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The question might be: why do we need an app for it ?

Remember this quote from Tron?

6994419934065ccdc46ad724f6ed25f2.jpg

Reactions: Wotchered

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe they moved from indoor overhead light blinking to ODB2 in all North American cars, as that port is just required by regulation. However, I have no reliable way of confirming that.

Same for the St. Lawrence Seaway.

And here’s an app idea. Visual identification of maritime navigation aids (buoys, lighthouses, etc.)

Explain what you mean by "visual identification". There are apps that show those things on maps or charts. Such as the Atlas Nautical Charts app.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Explain what you mean by "visual identification". There are apps that show those things on maps or charts. Such as the Atlas Nautical Charts app.
I mean, detect the navigation aid using the camera (e.g.: using its blink sequence) and allow you to know precisely where you are without Internet service or GPS.

Clearly, it would be a very niche app.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This, although I brought it up in jest, would have come in very handy when I still sailed ! very few small yachts had the pestiferous Decca navigator, the Phillips sat nav was unreliable, and that vhf thing with the directional aerial was a nightmare. So on a breezy night you had your compass and your charts and timepiece. A confirmation is always very handy !

Reactions: EdwinG

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77