Will the 6S Plus iteration finally be one model number for all carriers?

xchpstang

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Apple has gotten very good over the years regarding the many models of one phone they offer: down to 3 models i.e. A1522, A1524, and A1593 for the 6 Plus. One of these (A1593 I think) has 20 LTE bands. While very good it would be nice to have one model to rule them all: all LTE bands included and various GSM/CDMA frequencies included.

Do you think this next iPhone 6S/6S Plus will have the one model to rule them all: every iteration of LTE bands plus GSM/CDMA? Or will we be stuck with 3 part numbers like now: Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T model, Sprint/rest of world model, China model?

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Carriers like to pay for exclusivity. If a customer can only get one type of device on one carrier it gives that carrier a competitive advantage. Simple economics.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that Apple will do that. Apple would have to license every band that they want to put in an iPhone and it would be very expensive for Apple to license bands that will go unused.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I wish it worked like that, it would've been much easier for people who aren't tech savvy to just go to the  Store and only have one model (not Verizon/ATT/Sprint/T-Mobile) to choose from. Much simpler. Also, on launch day, they wouldn't ever run out of a specific carrier version, so everyone would be able to get one!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
In the next phone, no. In a future iPhone I have to say yes. Apple has been working on iPhones that don't require a SIM chip, but instead use software. I don't see any reason why Apple cannot break the mold and offer one model to rule them all. Its more cost effective, they can build 3 models x 3 colors per 6/6Plus and save on production.

You can use a Verizon iPhone on AT&T, you just dont' get AT&T LTE, but it would be beneficial to have that happen. The only reason it wouldn't is Apple's penchant for more iPhone sales, you leave a carrier you have to get a new phone and they like their profits. No reason not to, but there is profit and then there is greed, their is doing what makes the carriers happy and then there is doing what makes your actual customers happy.

Remember Verizon passed on the original iphone an had to wait years to get it and watched all those sales go by. Leason learned.

xchpstang

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
You can use a Verizon iPhone on AT&T, you just dont' get AT&T LTE, but it would be beneficial to have that happen. The only reason it wouldn't is Apple's penchant for more iPhone sales, you leave a carrier you have to get a new phone and they like their profits. No reason not to, but there is profit and then there is greed, their is doing what makes the carriers happy and then there is doing what makes your actual customers happy.

See that's the thing, we're already down to two models of 6/6+ in the US (concerning cellular bands): The Sprint one which is the same as the factory unlocked one but locked to Sprint AND the Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile model. When taking any US carrier's iPhone, in unlocked state, they will all interchange and work with any other US carrier (no restricted or disabled bands on any US model*): i.e. Sprint's will work on Verizon, Verizon's will work on T-Mobile, T-Mobile's will work on Sprint, etc..

I figure we're so close, down to two in the US, why not make it one model on the 6S/6S+ and be done with it?

*one model (the Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T model) is missing band 41 for Sprint, but all other Sprint LTE bands (25,26) and CDMA voice work fine on it

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1