Will iOS (iPhone) Ever Support Landscape Homescreen?

gregorylkelly

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It's one of the most annoying things about iOS. When I'm in an app that only works in landscape and I want to close an app and go into another one quickly, I don't want to have to rotate the phone just to open an app and then have to rotate it again once I'm in the new app. The iPad supports a landscape homescreen, why doesn't the iPhone? They could at least offer it and allow those that don't want it to disable it.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the most annoying things about iOS. When I'm in an app that only works in landscape and I want to close an app and go into another one quickly, I don't want to have to rotate the phone just to open an app and then have to rotate it again once I'm in the new app. The iPad supports a landscape homescreen, why doesn't the iPhone? They could at least offer it and allow those that don't want it to disable it.

this is something that apple just never did... I dont think android does it either.. we dont know if either ever will.. but you can leave feedback for apple

Apple - Feedback

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I might be really wrong but I think it has to do with the fact that the iPad is more sqaure while the iPhone is longer. So while the iPad is still pretty big rotated the iPhone becomes like a bar, how would you get to the app you wanted to start if it was on the bottom half of the screen in portrait? it would either fall off the screen in landscape or the scrolling would have to go vertical instead of horizontal. So it's not as easy as you might think.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
this is something that apple just never did... I dont think android does it either.. we dont know if either ever will.. but you can leave feedback for apple

Android does support both landscape and portrait home screen orientation and has for some time.

It wouldn't be that hard to do. Just make all the icons rotate and the notification bar move to the top. The dock could stay stationary and app page scrolling could go either vertical or horizontal.

gregorylkelly

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Im 99% sure the iPad has the same aspect ratio as the iPhone. Also, on the iPad, the icons change location when rotated. I know they would have to change some stuff, but they should be able to figure out a solution that works. If the BBOS can do it, there is no reason iOS can't.

Worst case scenario, they could just rotate the icons sideways and remove the words below the icon. That would allow for a seamless transition but give people like me the option to enable a landscape homescreen. The multitasking bar could also stay where it is but just rotate the icons so it doesn't look sideways. I'm just sick of getting slightly dizzy when I look at my homescreen sideways!

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I've always wanted this since my first iPhone the first one, (or 2G, or EDGE, or whatever). Honestly after thinking about it for so long I am convinced that Apple keeps portrait because of what comes after the 'i'...this is a phone and held in landscape mode the phone call aspect of this wonderful device is underminded.

What about the iPod Touch? Sorry, but I've never considered this device to be anything other than an iPhone with no phone capability...making it a moot point. Egocentric of me, I know, but if Apple allowed the iPod touch a capability like this that the iPhone didn't have people would want it and yet again the premise of their flagship 'i' device is undermined.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

That is annoying. I think i would be smart to have a rotation happen or at least allow the home screen to be sideways.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Android does support both landscape and portrait home screen orientation and has for some time.

It wouldn't be that hard to do. Just make all the icons rotate and the notification bar move to the top. The dock could stay stationary and app page scrolling could go either vertical or horizontal.

interesting my dads droid pro doesnt switch when you rotate it and hes on gingerbread I think.. thats what I was going off of

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
interesting my dads droid pro doesnt switch when you rotate it and hes on gingerbread I think.. thats what I was going off of

Maybe it doesn't on the stock launcher. I'm not sure about that. Haven't used the stock launcher since I switched to Android and can't say I personally know anyone else who does either. If that feature isn't on the stock launcher, it's super easy to find one that does have it.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it doesn't on the stock launcher. I'm not sure about that. Haven't used the stock launcher since I switched to Android and can't say I personally know anyone else who does either. If that feature isn't on the stock launcher, it's super easy to find one that does have it.

yes android has a lot of customization I just dont think its a default thing with android and obviously someone would make it on an iphone if they could..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yawmelo09