Will Apple patent kill 3d party bands?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
3rd party manufacturers can simply buy a license to produce bands... Just like they do now for thousands of other aftermarket accessories...

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to stick with Apple bands, but I know lots of people are looking forward to third-party bands. So I hope no issues arise with these aftermarket bands.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
3rd party manufacturers can simply buy a license to produce bands... Just like they do now for thousands of other aftermarket accessories...

Hmm, the word "simply" is a pretty big word. Consider for example that Apple has refused to license the MagSafe connector, meaning that nobody has been able to legally produce chargers for MacBooks. They have even sued a company that recycled existing MagSafe connectors into a new form factor.

So if Apple genuinely owns the strap connector, I think we can forget about cheap 3d party straps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I hope they don't, but I usually stick to Apple accessories and cases anyway.

I would prefer Apple accessories, but I ain't rich. I could do $80 for a decent leather band though. $449 for the metal link is a bit much for my wallet.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, the word "simply" is a pretty big word.
Not really... Apple wanted to keep the MagSafe connector to itself - it didn't license it... seems simple to me... Apple will likely license their patents for 3rd parties to produce bands for Watches... but they will likely NOT license their connection mechanism to makers of other devices because they want to keep that for Apple devices...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would prefer Apple accessories, but I ain't rich. I could do $80 for a decent leather band though. $449 for the metal link is a bit much for my wallet.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

True. If I did buy another band, it'd be a sport band again most likely. The other options are too much $$$

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
They should allow them, as they don't make an assortment for wrists that are more than 210mm. Oversight on Apple's part, imo.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
They should allow them, as they don't make an assortment for wrists that are more than 210mm. Oversight on Apple's part, imo.

I'm assuming Apple make the choice to manufacture watch bands that would fit the majority of individuals. So, yeah, third-party bands could fill the gaps.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I will definitely only buy bands from Apple. With no reason honestly, I just like the genuine feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely only buy bands from Apple. With no reason honestly, I just like the genuine feeling.

I feel the same way, but I can certainly see why other people would be interested.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way, but I can certainly see why other people would be interested.

As can I. I plan on buying either the Milanese or the Leather band, and being done with it. One of those and my Sport band is more than enough for me :)

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As can I. I plan on buying either the Milanese or the Leather band, and being done with it. One of those and my Sport band is more than enough for me :)

Yeah, that's how I went, got a Milanese and a Sport. But I may but the adapters to be able to use a standard band also as a backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB