Will an iPad Pro work for me as a standalone computer?

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone.
Ive been toying with the idea of getting a ipad pro as my “only computer” but cant quite figure a few things out.

1: Because I’ve used PC’s for quite sometime I have quite a few external drives that have backed up files and pictures on them that I’d like to look at from time to time, is there an adapter available for that? What about CD’s & DVD’s would a powered external drive work?

2: Can you backup the ipad to an external drive on its own or would a pc/mac with itunes be required.

3: Has my preference to use local external drives and back ups as opposed to a cloud system excluded me from going with a (Ipad as my only PC).

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ipad as my only pc?

For what you want, you will be better off with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, in my opinion. The iPad Pro, in its current iteration, will not be sufficient for what you’ve mentioned, unless your external drive is wireless.

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes your right, that's pretty much what I've been able to gather. The simplicity of the ipad along with the many ios apps make a compelling case but it's not quite there yet for me.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I decided my 86 yr old grandma is finished with laptops and computers She bought herself an iPad Pro 64gb 10.5. I got her on an iPhone a few years ago and the iPad seemed like the next logical step. She was having a hard time looking at photos on her iPhone and her laptop is not supported by Microsoft anymore so it is pretty much unusable.

I do have to say that it is getting very close. For me personally I could not use iPad as a stand alone puter but is it more than sufficient for my grandma.

Doesn’t sound like iPad Pro is gonna cut it for you OP.

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
If there was a straight forward way of hooking up the peripherals I have I’d be tempted to try it just out of curiosity, but I don't think apple is sending the iPad in that direction.

I’ve watched several you tube videos of people using an iPad as their only computer, but their setups seem to be all based on using the cloud for everything and not having any older media around which is probably not too realistic for a lot of us.

I'm glad it worked well for your Grandmother though.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If there was a straight forward way of hooking up the peripherals I have I’d be tempted to try it just out of curiosity, but I don't think apple is sending the iPad in that direction.

I’ve watched several you tube videos of people using an iPad as their only computer, but their setups seem to be all based on using the cloud for everything and not having any older media around which is probably not too realistic for a lot of us.

I'm glad it worked well for your Grandmother though.

The iPP handles light productivity very well, but at the end of the day it is still a tablet.

Maybe in a few years time, it’ll be able to replace a computer. For now, I don’t think it’s worth the investment considering your needs.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
If you are speaking about external peripherals the iPP isn’t the right choice.
Basically I’m using it as my main computer, but it has limitations for sure.

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I just saw a video on the upcoming ipad 13 / OS.
Looks like I maybe actually able too after all.
Will have to stay tuned for the official release!

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I just saw a video on the upcoming ipad 13 / OS.
Looks like I maybe actually able too after all.
Will have to stay tuned for the official release!

That’s what I’m waiting for also. I have the 2018 12.9’ iPad Pro and the 2018 15” MBP. I’m hope with iOS 13 you might be able to use an external drive, like the Samsung T5, with the iPad Pro. I have a lot of iTunes movies on my iPad and on the external drive. If I can keep it on the external drive than it would be a lot easier for me.

Last edited:

last_attempt

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
You will be able to read your external HD from the iPad Pro from what I’ve seen on YouTube anyways. Even an iPad Air 2 with a lightening connector could access flash drives & ssd’s with the apple powered camera adapter dongle!
:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artiefischel99