Why won't iTunes let me carrier update my iPhone? Please help.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
This has been driving me nuts for a few days now, I'm getting to point where I'm getting tired of Apple.

I have a 5s and 5c(the wife's). We just recently upgraded to 8.3 from 8.1.2. Every time we plugged out phones into our computer iTunes automatically opened up which is normal, however we kept getting this popup below:

1.png

I clicked "Download and Update". Soon as I clicked that I get this popup:

2.png

I got on the phone with Apple support, they had no idea. I reinstalled iTunes several times and did several restores back to 8.3, no luck. I then took our phones up the Genius bar, soon as he plugged our phones into the Mac, both phones updates the carrier settings from 19.0 to 19.1 (I'm on Verizon Wireless) instantly. He had no idea why it worked on a Mac at the store but not on my PC at home.

I went home and did a restore again on my 5s. Soon as that was done, iTunes popped up with the Carrier Update windows again. And yet again I can't update.

Any idea what is going on here? I don't want to have to go up to Apple store every time I need to Carrier Update or If I happen to need to restore my phone, this is ridiculous. Is there an issue with my PC, iTunes, what I'm not understanding?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iTunes will not let me carrier update my iPhone? Please help.

1. Reboot your iPhone
2. Go to Settings - General - Reset and then select 'Reset Network Settings'.
3. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the Internet.
4. Update carrier settings the next time it pops up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

With Verizon, the updates show in Settings >General >About. Go to About and tap to update. No need to go to iTunes on a computer.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

With Verizon, the updates show in Settings >General >About. Go to About and tap to update. No need to go to iTunes on a computer.

No it doesn't. It never showed up in the About section, only when I plugged my phone into my PC and iTunes popped up, then I would get that Carrier update. I never got "the please update your carrier settings" until I restored to 8.3 a few days ago.

Anyways, after I got home from the Apple Store, I was on 19.1 however, I wanted to restore to see if iTunes would work this time, it didn't. I then figured I'd give my upstairs PC a try which is 5 years old and on Windows Vista. Soon as I plugged my 5s in, iTunes popped up and it updated my Carrier settings to 19.1.

For some reason my brand new computer I just built downstairs will not update nor work properly however a 5yr old computer with Vista worked fine. I have no idea what is going on but it's starting to aggravate me.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

1. Reboot your iPhone
2. Go to Settings - General - Reset and then select 'Reset Network Settings'.
3. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the Internet.
4. Update carrier settings the next time it pops up.

It doesn't pop up. Please read my post below to in response to Ledsteplin. Thanks.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No it doesn't. It never showed up in the About section, only when I plugged my phone into my PC and iTunes popped up, then I would get that Carrier update. I never got "the please update your carrier settings" until I restored to 8.3 a few days ago.

Anyways, after I got home from the Apple Store, I was on 19.1 however, I wanted to restore to see if iTunes would work this time, it didn't. I then figured I'd give my upstairs PC a try which is 5 years old and on Windows Vista. Soon as I plugged my 5s in, iTunes popped up and it updated my Carrier settings to 19.1.

For some reason my brand new computer I just built downstairs will not update nor work properly however a 5yr old computer with Vista worked fine. I have no idea what is going on but it's starting to aggravate me.

I said with Verizon. Do you have Verizon? Other carriers may do it different. But, yes, Verizon does put a pop up in the About of the phone's Settings. This is what it looks like.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435509831.497712.jpg

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

I said with Verizon. Do you have Verizon? Other carriers may do it different. But, yes, Verizon does put a pop up in the About of the phone's Settings. This is what it looks like.
View attachment 84081

I have Verizon, I'm just saying I never got that popup. I was on 8.1.2, I restored to 8.3, after the restore was done I started getting popups in iTunes, you can see them in my first post above. I kept getting Carrier Update popup through iTunes not my phone. I was on Verizon 19.0 and it would update to 19.1. For some reason the update wasn't coming through my phone instead it was on iTunes and for some reason only certain computers would work. That is my issue.

Edit: For a 5s (A1533) on Verizon Wireless, is the IPSW iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw or iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw?

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I have Verizon, I'm just saying I never got that popup. I was on 8.1.2, I restored to 8.3, after the restore was done I started getting popups in iTunes, you can see them in my first post above. I kept getting Carrier Update popup through iTunes not my phone. I was on Verizon 19.0 and it would update to 19.1. For some reason the update wasn't coming through my phone instead it was on iTunes and for some reason only certain computers would work. That is my issue.

Edit: For a 5s (A1533) on Verizon Wireless, is the IPSW iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw or iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw?

I don't use a computer and iTunes. But I have seen others say when they go to About, the update is not there. I sort of think these updates may go through without the ok on the pop up. Thus, iTunes couldn't find it. IDK! I always see the pop up. But when I call Verizon and ask what it was for, none of them have a clue.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

And you're blaming iTunes/Apple for this?

I don't have Verizon... And I've seen carrier updates via iTunes, as well as on the phone... And they install without issues for me...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Obviously a computer issue being it worked at Apple and on your other computer ..
Mine always update on the phone but I have seen them pop up in iTunes and install without issue.
Only suggestion is something on your computer is causing it to fail IE firewall malware or virus program etc .. If it bugs you that bad you could restore the computer to factory with a fresh install and see then . Other than that of its the only the updates I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Obviously a computer issue being it worked at Apple and on your other computer ..
Mine always update on the phone but I have seen them pop up in iTunes and install without issue.
Only suggestion is something on your computer is causing it to fail IE firewall malware or virus program etc .. If it bugs you that bad you could restore the computer to factory with a fresh install and see then . Other than that of its the only the updates I wouldn't worry about it

I just didn't know if their was a way to narrow down what could be causing it not to work on my computer? I have Malwarebytes & MSE for security but I turned them off. Firewall is turned off as well. Unless my Verizon FiOS router is causing issues I have no idea what it could be. The computer upstairs that worked has AV software running so that should eliminate AV software blocking it. All the PC's in my house are connected to same network.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

And you're blaming iTunes/Apple for this?

I don't have Verizon... And I've seen carrier updates via iTunes, as well as on the phone... And they install without issues for me...

No I'm not blaming Apple but I'm pissed at them. I had to go up to the Apple Store twice this week b/c of this. It's an iTunes error that pops up but gives no error code for me to look into it. If my PC popped up with an error then OK it has nothing to due with Apple. Nobody at Apple knows why this error is happening, I showed them iTunes screenshots. I've had this computer for over a year now and never had this carrier issue. Soon as I restored to 8.3 all of this starts happening.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I just didn't know if their was a way to narrow down what could be causing it not to work on my computer? I have Malwarebytes & MSE for security but I turned them off. Firewall is turned off as well. Unless my Verizon FiOS router is causing issues I have no idea what it could be. The computer upstairs that worked has AV software running so that should eliminate AV software blocking it. All the PC's in my house are connected to same network.

sounds like a itunes issue maybe uninstall and run a reg cleaner and try re install

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

And neither time they didn't offer to update your carrier settings for you ???

Yes, they updated the carrier. But I had to restore again once I got home so my Carrier went back to 19.0. For some reason my brand new PC that I built will not contact iTunes correctly to download the Carrier update yet my fathers 6 year old PC with Vista can. Something on my PC is not allowing the download to occur or for a connection to be made. And one Apple rep said I should of got a Carrier update popup in General > About on my iPhone, he said he never heard of Carrier updates coming up in iTunes. He recommended that I reinstall Windows, lol.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

sounds like a itunes issue maybe uninstall and run a reg cleaner and try re install

I wish that was the case. I've tried several iTunes, downgrading to 12.0.1, used CCleaner too. I uninstalled anything associated with Apple from the Control Panel, Bonjour, etc.

This is the carrier update file "Verizon_LTE_US_iPhone.ipcc". I can't find any information about this file or 19.1 which is the latest carrier number I guess.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I wish that was the case. I've tried several iTunes, downgrading to 12.0.1, used CCleaner too. I uninstalled anything associated with Apple from the Control Panel, Bonjour, etc.

This is the carrier update file "Verizon_LTE_US_iPhone.ipcc". I can't find any information about this file or 19.1 which is the latest carrier number I guess.

You could always try wiping the PC I guess

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes, they updated the carrier. But I had to restore again once I got home so my Carrier went back to 19.0. For some reason my brand new PC that I built will not contact iTunes correctly to download the Carrier update yet my fathers 6 year old PC with Vista can. Something on my PC is not allowing the download to occur or for a connection to be made. And one Apple rep said I should of got a Carrier update popup in General > About on my iPhone, he said he never heard of Carrier updates coming up in iTunes. He recommended that I reinstall Windows, lol.

Really? And why did you have to do a restore?
Since we're at it why not use your dads computer to do the update and stop sweating this, its not that big of a deal.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

You could try Open Event Viewer - Windows Help and see if there are any clues in the various logs What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer) - Windows Help

If iTunes or related errors show up in the logs around the time you try to update the carrier settings via iTunes, then that may be a way to triangulate on potential causes.

But, since you found a workaround using a Vista based system, I wouldn't worry too much about it. iOS 8.4 or a future iTunes update, or Windows update may end up "solving" the problem.

ggovier

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried the Network Reset and it still wouldn't sync, and still came up with the Carrier error. (I just changed carriers).
Then I noticed the name of my iPhone had changed from my custom name back to "iPhone". I think itunes recognized the phone (maybe by serial number), but not the name. At any rate, I entered in the name (General -> About) to match what itunes had, and it did a good sync. No Carrier error so far.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup