Why no USB C?

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I know it sounds silly, but the biggest thing holding me back from upgrading to the 11 Pro is the lack of USB C. I've got the latest iPad Pro and it's got USB-C. So why wouldn't Apple put USB-C on the iPhone as well? I told myself I wasn't going to buy any gadgets that don't have USB-C so I can begin to consolidate to one standard.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It HAS to be coming since as you pointed out the new iPad Pro(s) have it, and their lastest Mac laptops also. I too thought it would happen with this iteration. Ah well maybe next year? Anyways to offer Apple feedback go here....

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Apparently our forum does not like my link. Just Google Apple Feedback and you will be directed to the correct URL. :)

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I know it sounds silly, but the biggest thing holding me back from upgrading to the 11 Pro is the lack of USB C. I've got the latest iPad Pro and it's got USB-C. So why wouldn't Apple put USB-C on the iPhone as well? I told myself I wasn't going to buy any gadgets that don't have USB-C so I can begin to consolidate to one standard.

Because Apple makes a not-insignificant amount of revenue from selling and licensing its own lightning cables, even if modern USB-C cables are superior when it comes to data transfer speeds and charging capacity. Business wise it’s probably a smart choice for Apple but annoying for the consumer who uses loads of different products which all use USB-C.

USB-C is the industry standard and is incontestably superior to the Lightning connector. Apple’s decisions with the iPad Pro and MacBooks reflect that.

I’m hoping that they will switch to USB-C soon (but it is unlikely)...it’s just much better.

Last edited:

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
That’s funny I didn’t upgrade my iPad Pro because it has USB-C and I didn’t want to deal with two cords when traveling.
I notice the only place I hear about it is on forums like these. I have three PCs, two laptops, five sets of headphones, four sets of wireless earbuds, two Kindles, five iPads and five phones in use in this house. Not one of those devices use it. I suspect the push for its use is more tech oriented people who are aware of the benefits and less so with people like me who just want what’s easiest. I think it will be awhile before it’s the norm since most everywhere you go is set up for USB-A.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That’s funny I didn’t upgrade my iPad Pro because it has USB-C and I didn’t want to deal with two cords when traveling.
I notice the only place I hear about it is on forums like these. I have three PCs, two laptops, five sets of headphones, four sets of wireless earbuds, two Kindles, five iPads and five phones in use in this house. Not one of those devices use it. I suspect the push for its use is more tech oriented people who are aware of the benefits and less so with people like me who just want what’s easiest. I think it will be awhile before it’s the norm since most everywhere you go is set up for USB-A.

You sound like me! I have an Android phone, an iPad Pro, 3 Windows Laptops, an MBP, an iMac, and more headphones then I care to count! lol

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It HAS to be coming since as you pointed out the new iPad Pro(s) have it, and their lastest Mac laptops also. I too thought it would happen with this iteration. Ah well maybe next year? Anyways to offer Apple feedback go here....

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Apparently our forum does not like my link. Just Google Apple Feedback and you will be directed to the correct URL. :)

I just tried the link and it worked ok for me! Maybe there was a glitch earlier!

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
You sound like me! I have an Android phone, an iPad Pro, 3 Windows Laptops, an MBP, an iMac, and more headphones then I care to count! lol

That’s not even counting what’s in “stand by” in case something goes wrong with a regularly used device. Then of course there are the game systems and TV stuff. Oh and my cameras. It’s crazy how tech has evolved and become so common. Doesn’t seem so long ago I was excited to have a VCR that skipped commercials and did timed recordings.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I still have tons of gadgets with USB micro, one with USB mini, iPhone and airpods with lightning adapter. However, I am starting to get a few items with USB-C and just figure if I limit myself to USB-C purchases from now on I'll be standardized in a few years. You have to start some time.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just remember the blowback Apple got for changing the port from 30-pin to lightning in 2012. They probably would like to keep the lightning until usb-c is absolutely necessary for a feature on whatever new iPhone they release.

It’s kind of like when they removed the headphone jack. They at least had a wireless solution of their own with AirPods.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up a saddle brown leather for my Pro Max at Best Buy. There is a rewards member sale which has the leather cases for $29.99. Not sure how long the sale is on.

Last edited:

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have moved to USB-C in all my devices, iPad Pro, MacBook Air, external hard drives, JBL speaker. Only thing left is iPhone and AirPods Pro smh

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JasperEva