Why Introduce a Feature if You Can't Deliver?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This has been an irritant for several years now. This year the Journaling app and other features were introduced to us in June as features of iOS 17. Yet, here we are 3 months later with IOS 17 getting ready to be officially released and the aforementioned features will not be ready at launch.

I assume Apple will hype the features at the start of the Christmas shopping season to help boost sales of the iPhone 15 models.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Certainly a nasty habit, but don’t think apple will change. It seems they withhold features to roll out over the next 6 months instead of releasing features on day one. Personally I’m waiting for airdrop over the internet to launch.

You might be right about the the release of the journaling app right before the Christmas period.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
This has been an irritant for several years now. This year the Journaling app and other features were introduced to us in June as features of iOS 17. Yet, here we are 3 months later with IOS 17 getting ready to be officially released and the aforementioned features will not be ready at launch.

I assume Apple will hype the features at the start of the Christmas shopping season to help boost sales of the iPhone 15 models.
That’s how roadmaps work nowadays. Most software developments groups will plan out the next few releases, and target those.

For the record, Journal was always scheduled for a later release, but I think NameDrop was a .0 release.

Sadly, a couple of other features have not yet released or are still broken. The first one that comes to mind is “Apple Pay Cash”, it won’t even validate a piece of ID even if the empty card is in the Wallet app.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That’s how roadmaps work nowadays. Most software developments groups will plan out the next few releases, and target those.

For the record, Journal was always scheduled for a later release, but I think NameDrop was a .0 release.

Sadly, a couple of other features have not yet released or are still broken. The first one that comes to mind is “Apple Pay Cash”, it won’t even validate a piece of ID even if the empty card is in the Wallet app.

Nowadays?

Apple has been doing this since they renamed iPhone Os to iOS, it’s been 13 years

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's more not available until later this year.

Collaborative Apple Music Playlist.

A Stickers feature that allows users to react to a message with a sticker via the plus button or the Tapback menu.

The catch-up arrow, which allows users to quickly jump to the first unread message in any group conversation by simply tapping the arrow that will be visible in the top-right corner.

Messages in iCloud will sync Message settings, such as Text Message Forwarding, Send & Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.

Podcasts can be played or paused or an Apple News+ audio story can be played directly from the Apple News widget.

The Music app will include a Favorite Songs playlist with the ability to favorite even more, including songs, albums, playlists, and artists.

Enhanced AutoFill and intelligent form detection for PDFs.

Apple Fitness+’s Audio Focus feature will prioritize the volume of either the trainers’ voices or the music.

Apple ID proximity sign-in will allow users to bring a signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad nearby and pair the devices by scanning the particle cloud, automatically signing in.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am not bothered by announcing features that are coming later.

For one thing, it's a signal to potential third party developers thinking of creating a journaling app for iOS that maybe you should think about that a little more. For another, it's a signal to developers of other apps that integrate their data into the Journaling app through an API that this is coming and you may want to consider adding that feature to your app.

Remember: this was announced at WWDC, so the audience was developers.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not bothered by announcing features that are coming later.

For one thing, it's a signal to potential third party developers thinking of creating a journaling app for iOS that maybe you should think about that a little more. For another, it's a signal to developers of other apps that integrate their data into the Journaling app through an API that this is coming and you may want to consider adding that feature to your app.

Remember: this was announced at WWDC, so the audience was developers.

Valid point never thought of it from a developers perspective before.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77