Why has my iPhone 4 started rotating my photos 90 degrees?

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, as of yesterday, when I email a photo taken in portrait mode in my iPhone 4, the recipient gets it rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. To my knowledge, I haven't made any changes to my iphone. Any ideas as to what might be causing the issue and what might fix it?

Confused

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I find this happening as well. The recipient can just rotate it to normal with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer if you're on a PC. I believe it's behaving weirdly in this way due to the metadata contained in the Camera Roll pictures possibly from the recent geotagging encoding because it didn't used to happen before.

Last edited:

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
It appears 4.1 didn't fix the problem with rotating e-mailed photos to landscape.
Anyone else still have this problem?
Anyone have this problem fixed by 4.1?

It does this with the following programs even if I save to my computer.
Microsoft Office Picture Manager
Microsoft Photo Editor
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Paint
IE

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have read about this problem many times on the apple discussion forums since the launch of the device noone has found a solution

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this is a deff PITA, and 4.1 is not free of the issue...what's strange though is that i use a hosting service for web/picture hosting, and it has a direct upload email addy that you send pics off the phone to and it loads them into your online database...when i do it that way, they come out properly...perhaps part of the uploading programs software, who knows...but email wise, i hope they fix this issue very soon.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to hear step by step how you are getting the issue. I take a pic, open it from the camera app and then I hit email. It opens the email app and it shows up portrait. I open the pic from the pictures app and choose the email option, same thing. Opens in portrait. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
GhostFace,

Yes, everything looks fine when creating the email on the iPhone (ie the pictures are oriented correctly) but when your recipient receives the email the pics are rotated 90 degrees on their end for some reason. Try sending an email to yourself and see if it happens to you.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
when your recipient receives the email the pics are rotated 90 degrees on their end for some reason. Try sending an email to yourself and see if it happens to you.

This is what I snapped and what it looked like before I hit send when loading from the camera app and choosing share:

32ab8d02.jpg

This is what happens when I received it:

9293c885.jpg

This is how it looks when opened:

8fb72436.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Clearly it works OK when viewed on an iPhone...try sending it to an account that you can view on your PC. For example, if I send pictures from the phone to my work email and view them on my work computer they are rotated 90 degrees as other have stated. Not a huge deal, just weird. :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I did it again. Sent from my iPhone to my work email. I VPN'd into our network and opened my corporate email. Here are my results:

Screenshot2010-09-11at85808PM.png

It also came out the same when using my other email address online. Clearly there is something wrong with your iOS installs.

Bucketofried

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
This issue which for some reason seems intermittent but appears to be resolved in 4.2. I noticed this with 4.1 and 4.0.1 and now it looks like it is not doing it anymore.

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It shows up fine when the recipient opens up the email with an iPhone, iPad or a recent version of OS X because these operating systems apply the orientation metadata in the jpeg. However if you open the email in a windows OS, or a webmail app like gmail/yahoo the images will be rotated or sometimes flipped. Older versions of OS X also can't interpret the orientation data. My mother has an older iMac with Tiger and has been complaining that the photos I send her come in rotated.