Who’s upgrading? Who’s staying?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
After ordering new phone and watch I asked myself why and remembered it was really for the kids in college. My wife and I will hand down phones and what was my XS Max will come back as my cold spare.

Next was again wondering why no colors but the stainless and white always age well.

:)

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
9f792c1c1d564a4a98aed4094e03af0a.jpg

giphy.gif

Nice! Knew you would! :)

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree about the eyes! Mine have gotten bad and I just got my first pair of bifocals, so I decided to get the 14 Pro Max. 30 seconds later, I asked if he'd hit submit yet and when he said no, I went with the 14 Pro. I can't lug that huge thing around so I decided to stick with my zoomed/big text on the non-Max model. I currently have a 12 and I'm keeping it.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Have a 14 Pro on the way to replace my Pixel 5. I’ve had a work iPhone (currently a 12) alongside my personal Nexus/Pixel phone for years. First time I’m going to be double fisting all Apple

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I use around 60GB a month, because I’m a parcel delivery guy and stream music all day in my work van.
Also, sometimes when home and I feel that WiFi is spotty I go cellular.

That, to me is astronomical !
Thanks for sharing.
PS could you not use offline playlists ? I know, I’m a cheapskate !

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That, to me is astronomical !
Thanks for sharing.
PS could you not use offline playlists ? I know, I’m a cheapskate !

I don’t need to. I don’t want to. I shouldn’t have to.
The option to go unlimited is there for me, therefore I don’t want to walk around eggshells when it comes to cellular data usage.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My 13 pro is at 99% on battery health and I don’t over charge it. This is my first time with a smaller device. I don’t understand why and my phone still is wonky on messages. I haven’t had it a full yr. But I am getting the 14 pro and hope those issues will be behind me. I am liking the smaller footprint. I don’t want the max size.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Awright so I couldn't resist, it's so hard not to capitulate on these preorder days!
There goes another $1600 but I had a 11 pro in the drawer and Verizon is offering $700 off so what the heck??!

This is going to be an interesting journey because there is no sim tray. I'm both an Apple and Android developer and change devices more than some change shoes! This is going to be fun (not!) when it comes time to flip back and forth. I will say it's a lot easier to switch esim numbers with iOS devices than Android, especially the Fold 4 which took over 6 hours total chat/phone time to get working.

I'm getting the watch ultra and 14 Pro Max on the same day, the 1TB PM is a week past the official 16th release but that may actually be a good thing as I'm willing to bet the esim activation support is going to be hotter than a substation transformer in California on release day and frustration factor is going to be through the roof!

On top of this, the line that I upgraded isn't the one I want to use so I have to play the flip flop game. At least wifi is good! Wish it was WiFi 6E though. ;)

Then again this experience could make you a trailblazer on figuring out best practice for e sim switching. Next step, developer stardom :)

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Then again this experience could make you a trailblazer on figuring out best practice for e sim switching. Next step, developer stardom :)

Well let's put it this way, instead of stopping at a store in the arrival airport to buy a so-called burner sim to avoid roaming charges, you walk up to a kiosk, select your plan, insert payment (card), upon successful payment a QR code is displayed. From the sim card manager on your phone, you scan this and boom! You're activated and ready to go. No need to look for a sim card ejector, messing with taking your phone out of a case, etc.

Of course with this comes scumbags with their 100X zooms trying to steal these plans so these kiosk units will need privacy measures in place such as narrow viewing, etc. Or if you can receive a text it could be delivered that way. Either way those are problems for developers and engineers to get sorted out. ;)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well let's put it this way, instead of stopping at a store in the arrival airport to buy a so-called burner sim to avoid roaming charges, you walk up to a kiosk, select your plan, insert payment (card), upon successful payment a QR code is displayed. From the sim card manager on your phone, you scan this and boom! You're activated and ready to go. No need to look for a sim card ejector, messing with taking your phone out of a case, etc.

Of course with this comes scumbags with their 100X zooms trying to steal these plans so these kiosk units will need privacy measures in place such as narrow viewing, etc. Or if you can receive a text it could be delivered that way. Either way those are problems for developers and engineers to get sorted out. ;)

Indeed I can see that happening. They can also print the QR code on a receipt. Either way, they no longer require a manned booth.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Wasn't planning on it, but my the FaceID camera on my wife's iPhone 12 Pro stopped working. Decided to upgrade both of ours. Crazy how far delivery dates are pushed out already. Ours is estimated at Oct 11-16.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Not upgrading, keeping my iPhone 12 mini until forever. May pick up another mini down the road for a backup. I love the form factor of the mini it will be very hard for me to give this model up. I think it’s my favorite iPhone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Not upgrading, keeping my iPhone 12 mini until forever. May pick up another mini down the road for a backup. I love the form factor of the mini it will be very hard for me to give this model up. I think it’s my favorite iPhone.

Same here for me! I have the 13 mini. I’ve downgraded gradually from a plus sized phones, to a 12 Pro and finally at the 13 mini. The 13 mini is the 5S twin, which was one of my favorite phone forms ever.

That’s a good idea to pick up a back up and put it away for later I may consider doing that as well!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm upgrading this year, my wife is on a 12 pro max and had her last iPhone 6S Plus until she got the 12 pro max. I plan to take a break from annual upgrades despite next year getting USB C and some other changes I feel the dynamic island is going to be here for a bit and really what is 3nm going to give me over 4nm chip and how much faster can they make them.

My 12 pro max just hit 98% battery health and I use my device a fair amount playing games etc. This was an upgrade year along with watch ultra.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB