Which Mac Mini should I buy?

I

iMore Question

I'm looking to buy a Mac Mini but having trouble deciding which one to go for. I'm really struggling to decide between these 3 options:

1: the entry model - 1,4GHz, 4GB memory, 500GB hard drive
2: the entry model - but upgraded to 8GB memory
3: the mid model - 2,6GHz, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive

The main use for the Mac Mini would be as a media center with Plex installed - connected to Samsung TV through HDMI. Later on I would also want the Mini to be able to stream multiple (+1 or 2) video files simultaneously to other TV's in the house (I guess through Wifi?). So basically the main use is streaming ripped videos through Plex and I'm not sure whether RAM or processer is important for this? The videos are almost all 1080p MP4, some with external srt-subtitles if that matter - I guess that means some transcoding?

Secondary I would like to use the Mac Mini for file sharing between other computers in the house - Like a Nas server. Hard drive on the Mini itself is not that important as I will add external USB 3.0 drives to the Mini. However I would like the Mini to act as a "home server" from where I can access/edit files from other laptops if that makes sense?

I will not be using the Mini for any daily use, like web browsing, gaming or office work. Perhaps run a few extra apps that enhances the media server setup but that's it.

I appologize if this doesn't make much sense, but I'm really no IT wizard. Can anyone recommend if I should just go for the cheap no. 1 solution or "invest" in the future and go for the 3rd option. I would like it to be somewhat future proof as a media center.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
The revised 2014 entry level mac is not user upgradable in terms of ram, your best bet is to buy the next one up as Karenkcoulter mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Ingolfo

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
The revised 2014 entry level mac is not user upgradable in terms of ram, your best bet is to buy the next one up as Karenkcoulter mentioned.
But would it make sense for me also to invest in more CPU (option 3) or would additional RAM (option 2) be sufficient for my purpose?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepghosh2564