What's in a name?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
What do you guys think Apple is gonna call the 4th gen iPhone?

iPhone HD- No way because T-Mobile already has HD2.

iPhone 4G- Not until LTE rolls out.

iPhone G4- Maybe, but I doubt it.

What do you guys think?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
pretty sure it's iPhone HD

Yeah that seems to be the what all the tech sites are saying as well. @msm0511 It does not matter that TMO has the HD2, that phone is not the iPhone and not on ATT so that point is irrelevant.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
@iquinn I know it's not an iPhone and not on AT&T, but Apple tends to try to set themselves as far apart as they can from other companies and products. I just don't believe Steve Jobs would go for that. Besides, all the tech sites are wrong all the time with Apple product names, features, and specs. I mean name one tech blog that knew the 3GS monicker before it was revealed.

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
@iquinn I know it's not an iPhone and not on AT&T, but Apple tends to try to set themselves as far apart as they can from other companies and products. I just don't believe Steve Jobs would go for that. Besides, all the tech sites are wrong all the time with Apple product names, features, and specs. I mean name one tech blog that knew the 3GS monicker before it was revealed.

You make some valid points, I still think that iPhone HD is what it is going to be. Not that it couldn't be something else but it won't have anything to do with the HD2. And I'm pretty sure that Apple Insider called the 3GS name but I could be wrong about that. Also everyone was sure that the iPad would be called the iSlate or something other then iPad and guess what, it's the iPad.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Talk about confusing apps with iphone HD. Since HD is what their tagging ipad apps with.

That said, iphone HD makes sense.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I really like the idea of dropping the "3GS" moniker, calling that iPhone. Calling the 4th gen iPhone Pro. Making the hardware unibody plastic for the iPhone, and unibody aluminum for the iPhone Pro. That would line up nicely with the MacBook line.

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
iPhone, nothing else. Everyone knows what 3G is at this point, 4G isn't out. Going back to just plain iPhone. Adding the HD at the end seems kind of corny and unApple.