What is the best way to back up and (partially) restore when replacing hard drive on iMac?

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not very familiar with servicing Macs. I do some repair work, but primarily on Windows machines. I need to either replace the hard drive on an iMac, or wipe the current drive and start over clean.

I'd create a Time Machine backup, clean install OS X, and then restore. The issue is that I will not want to reinstall all of the programs that are currently on it. With Time Machine, can I pick and choose which programs to restore? Ideally, I would choose to restore all files, and hand pick the programs. Is that feasible? Is that how Time Machine works? Is there a solution other than Time Machine that would work better? I looked online and on YouTube, but I didn't find anything that fits my precise scenario.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I am not very familiar with servicing Macs. I do some repair work, but primarily on Windows machines. I need to either replace the hard drive on an iMac, or wipe the current drive and start over clean.

I'd create a Time Machine backup, clean install OS X, and then restore. The issue is that I will not want to reinstall all of the programs that are currently on it. With Time Machine, can I pick and choose which programs to restore? Ideally, I would choose to restore all files, and hand pick the programs. Is that feasible? Is that how Time Machine works? Is there a solution other than Time Machine that would work better? I looked online and on YouTube, but I didn't find anything that fits my precise scenario.

What would work for you better, would be Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. Either one will allow you to do an exact clone of the HDD before you wipe it. The clone will better allow you to pick and choose what you want to install back. I personally use Carbon Copy Cloner. They do let you try it free for 30 days which should give you plenty of time to use it. Yes Time Machine will do that as well, but CCC I find is easier to use.

You will need to have the product keys to some apps that you put back. MS Office is a good example, when you put it back and open it, first thing it wants is the product key. This is the way MS has set it up. Other apps can be put back with no issues at all and licenses will not be an issue. Hope this helps with your task at hand.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77