What are my other options for cellphones?

amandakee

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8, for about a year, and twice now the screen has completely shattered. The first time, it had a glass screen protector and in a cheap gel type phone case. So after I paid to get that fixed I purchased the Otter Box Defender. Now it fell from my back pocket to the tile floor and completely shattered again.

I'm kind of over the fear and destroying a phone every time I carry it. Are there any cellphone types out there that actually have a thicker screen that wont completely shatter if its sneezed on just right?

*The first time my screen broke, I was literally texting someone and the screen shattered under the pressure of my tiny fingers. (Female, 5'3'', 100 lbs...). I thought maybe it was the glass screen protector on too tight or on wrong, but considering the fact that you *Should* be able to throw the phone off a roof and not have it break, yet a 2 1/2 foot fall destroyed it....??? I have doubts.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If you don’t want an iPhone there’s options.

f8672274c5366da3cdb4732524f389f6.jpg

Honestly I feel I’m ruff on my iPhone X and I’ve never broken the screen or anything really.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Sorry to hear about your issues but I’ve never had an issue with a cracked screen on any of my devices over the years

You mentioned you appear to carry your phone in your back pocket so I’m hoping your not putting unnecessary stress on your device when you sit down

Enjoy and Post Often

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8, for about a year, and twice now the screen has completely shattered. The first time, it had a glass screen protector and in a cheap gel type phone case. So after I paid to get that fixed I purchased the Otter Box Defender. Now it fell from my back pocket to the tile floor and completely shattered again.

I'm kind of over the fear and destroying a phone every time I carry it. Are there any cellphone types out there that actually have a thicker screen that wont completely shatter if its sneezed on just right?

*The first time my screen broke, I was literally texting someone and the screen shattered under the pressure of my tiny fingers. (Female, 5'3'', 100 lbs...). I thought maybe it was the glass screen protector on too tight or on wrong, but considering the fact that you *Should* be able to throw the phone off a roof and not have it break, yet a 2 1/2 foot fall destroyed it....??? I have doubts.

If you can simply shatter the screen of an iPhone 8 simply by texting someone, I don’t think any screen, regardless of smartphone brand, would be sufficient for you. Seriously!

With that being said, you can take additional steps to help keep the display of your smartphone safe. Purchasing a glass screen protector, a rugged case and always keep it in a manner that prevents it from easily falling out of your pocket can all prevent mishaps with the display.

amandakee

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
If you can simply shatter the screen of an iPhone 8 simply by texting someone, I don’t think any screen, regardless of smartphone brand, would be sufficient for you. Seriously!

Right?! I went from three previous iPhones and never breaking the screen, to multiple breaks a year. Its the RED version, maybe they're malfunctioned? Sigh.

I like the idea of the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2. It doesn't seem indestructible but hopefully general wear will be ok for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right?! I went from three previous iPhones and never breaking the screen, to multiple breaks a year. Its the RED version, maybe they're malfunctioned? Sigh.

I like the idea of the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2. It doesn't seem indestructible but hopefully general wear will be ok for it.

Keep ya updated, if you don’t mind...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I've never had a screen crack or shatter on any of my iPhones in 7 years. I have dropped a few. I always use an OtterBox, but no screen protector. That's some bad luck you've had.

amandakee

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
kataran - I've always held my phone in my backpocket. Its big, so its usually sticking halfway out. Rarely do I sit on it though (just uncomfortable). Maybe that's leading to the frequent breaks...I've never really considered that!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having so many issues. I've been lucky and never experienced this... knock wood! I do periodically carry my phone in my back pocket for convenience sake and am always careful about taking it out before I sit down anywhere. My niece's iPhone 6 has gone for an unexpected swim in the toilet a couple of times because she'd forget about it being back there. I think a screen protector is essential no matter what... it's not always the popular option, but the wisest. Hang in there and good luck with your quest.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
A couple of things here.

First, no case is going to completely keep your phone safe. If they claim that on the package, I'll be glad to prove them wrong. I've had screen shatter on naked devices from 12" drops and not a scratch from 10' drops, and likewise with cased devices. A screen will crack depending on where the device it's the ground no matter what case is on it.

Now, as for a screen shattering while texting under the pressure of tiny fingers? Well, I'm very skeptical. I'm not saying it didn't happen that way, but I've also been managing fleets of mobile device for years. I've seen devices fly parking lots and only damage the case and I've someone drop their phone from SIX INCHES above a table, screen down, and shatter.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Catalyst Impact case or Rhinoshield Solidsuit or similar + Rhinoshield Impact Protection screen protector. It's not glass, and it can take a serious impact unlike the glass ones. Multiple 3rd party reviewers have tested their screen protectors. If it breaks in that setup, well, I don't know what to tell ya.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77