Used my sister upgrade to buy the iPhone 5

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this question been asked within other threads but never found and replies or any threads about this and it does apply to myself as well, so here is my question: I pre-ordered my iPhone on Friday at 3 am EST off apple.com and it's all set to deliver on 9/21; however I used my sister's upgrade to get it and had to enter her number so will I have to bring it to Verizon or apple to change anything or what?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It'll have to be activated on her line first and then you can swap since you already ordered it. If you hadn't you could have had Verizon swap the upgrades then you could have ordered on your line. Anyhow you shouldn't haw any problems. Just a couple extra steps. Get the phone and activate and then log on to myverizon and swap to your line. Should be fine after that.

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It'll have to be activated on her line first and then you can swap since you already ordered it. If you hadn't you could have had Verizon swap the upgrades then you could have ordered on your line. Anyhow you shouldn't haw any problems. Just a couple extra steps. Get the phone and activate and then log on to myverizon and swap to your line. Should be fine after that.

You can do that, but you dont have to...with 4G VZW phones you can just call customer service, provide them with the SIM number and MEID, and youre all set

(This has to be done before ANY activation is done on the iPhone, so its probably best you just leave the phone off until CS instructs you to turn it on)

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can do that, but you dont have to...with 4G VZW phones you can just call customer service, provide them with the SIM number and MEID, and youre all set

(This has to be done before ANY activation is done on the iPhone, so its probably best you just leave the phone off until CS instructs you to turn it on)

I call Verizon using my old iPhone, the new one, or a totally other phone like a landline?

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

According to another thread...you can change phone numbers on the SIM.

Search "Good news Verizon Nano SIM"

sk8erdh36

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
According to another thread...you can change phone numbers on the SIM.

Search "Good news Verizon Nano SIM"

I have heard such conflicting reports, however I called CS and the guy assured me it won't be a problem. He said just don't turn the phone on until I call them.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have heard such conflicting reports, however I called CS and the guy assured me it won't be a problem. He said just don't turn the phone on until I call them.

I'm fearing that Verizon is gonna be swamped with calls tho and idk if going to Verizon would be any better because my sister won't be with me so they'd only be looking at my current iPhone 4 and my new iPhone 5 and not at her phone and I used her number for my iPhone 5 upgrade

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Right...I'll probably just stop into a VZW store since its on my way and see what they say...before I turn on the phone, because I too used another phone number for an upgrade...but I did "transfer it" online...so I'm not sure.

Jdeezy85

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to get my iPhone in October(late pre-order) so I will ask this question on friday and see who has kept their unlimited plan and who lost them. And what they did exactly lol

skimore2020

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I just did something similar at the store and nothing but problems. The sales rep at a corporate store told me that once you activate the phone under the first line, there is a 24-hour waiting period before the phone can be used on another number. So she put the original phone back on the number and then deactivated the iPhone 5 and told me to wait until tomorrow before I can activate it.

So, I'm sitting at work using my 4S and starring at my iPhone5, which I can only use on WiFi until tomorrow at ~9am.

Hockeycrew99

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just did something similar at the store and nothing but problems. The sales rep at a corporate store told me that once you activate the phone under the first line, there is a 24-hour waiting period before the phone can be used on another number. So she put the original phone back on the number and then deactivated the iPhone 5 and told me to wait until tomorrow before I can activate it.

So, I'm sitting at work using my 4S and starring at my iPhone5, which I can only use on WiFi until tomorrow at ~9am.
Same thing happened to me this morning. The sales rep activated the new iphone 5 first and then realized he would now need a new SIM card which of course they do not have yet. Now I have to wait 24hrs before I can use the phone and have to call back again tomorrow. What a mess!!

Was anyone able to swap a line successfully today at Verizon and walk out with their iphone 5 working? If the sales rep did not activate it first would they had been able to make the switch?

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm so pissed. What's the point of an iPhone 5 that has to sit in paperweight mode for a whole other day! How did they not see this until it's too late? Now I get to use my iPhone 4 and just stare at my iPhone for no reason. Awesome.

Hockeycrew99

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you understand the full details of why there was a 24-hour waiting period?
Sales rep explained that they needed to deactivate the Sim by giving it a temporary id and then after 24hrs the SIM could be assigned to my old phone number. I have to assume that there must be another way to do this.

skimore2020

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Sales rep explained that they needed to deactivate the Sim by giving it a temporary id and then after 24hrs the SIM could be assigned to my old phone number. I have to assume that there must be another way to do this.

That's what I was thinking. With as much as Verizon can do. I would think somebody, somewhere could start pushing some buttons...

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you're having the same problem where you have to wait 24 hours, go to either an apple store or verizon store and just get a new sim card and they can program that with you number and everything will activate fine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo