Upgrade from Iphone 3GS (IOS 4.3.3) to Iphone SE or 7 (IOS 10) Data Backup

kisianik

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
HI
I am about to do what I must have done sometimes ago, finally upgrade. But I need help to transfer my Contacts, SMS (I hope it is possible) and Notes. I understand that only compatible Apps can be transferred via iTunes backup.
I am Windows PC person (not MAC), at worst case scenario, I have a few old Mac Book Pro (my wife's), but this is only in the worst case scenario.
I am more or less Windows literate, so if I have to fish for .db files I would do it without hesitation. I have currently laptops and PCs with Win XP SP3, WIn7 Home, WIn 8.1 Home and WIn 10 Home, so if I have to use a specific OS for old iPhone backup and transfer - no problem (I actually have complete Iphone 3GS backup on WIn XP SP3 iTunes 10.4 and partial backup on WIN 8.1 with latest iTunes 12.5, I have no idea what is inside of those backups).
Forget to mention, IOS 4.3.3 doesn't have an iCloud, so this way of backup is not possible.
Also, I don't think that I can upgrade iTunes on WInXP to the latest one as there compatibility issues, correct me if I am wrong.
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. If there are still some Contacts apps available, which are compatible with IOS 4.3.3, please share - easiest way at least for Contacts.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi. This sounds like a pretty griefy job so be prepared for some work arounds.

As a Windows man I'm going to assume you have gmail or a link to Outlook where your Contacts sync? If not I'd recommend signing up to a quick gmail account and setting your 3GS to sync all it can with that i.e. Contacts, calendar and notes

Personally I'd try to set the SE up as a new device and do my best to replicate the settings.
Whilst there will be pain to start with it will be worth it in the long run.

If there are things you just cannot lose you'll have to back up the 3GS onto iTunes, upgrade iTunes and then restore the SE from back up. It should work but can't say I've ever tried it.

kisianik

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks
I am still here. I really hate Google with all privacy issues, but if it will ease my suffering in iPhone issue - creating blank GMAIL now. How to sync/ transfer contacts to Gmail? Can I also sync notes? SMS?
Do you know what is the complete compatibility of IOS to iTunes, meaning, I have latest iTunes 12.5.5 on WIn8.1 and I can not completely sync my old 3GS with it, can not completely create a backup, I don't see even iTunes LCD (in the middle top part of iTunes window. However, when I connect to WInXP laptop with iTunes 10.4, everything is in place and I can do complete backup, do you understand what I mean?
I don't have SE yet, but most likely will get it next week , maybe Saturday. As soon as I figure out how to transfer Contacts (i have about 180), Notes (for the past 4 years) and SMS (about 3,400 of them), I will get new iPhone.
I am setting up right now another SE for my wife, but her situation is much worse - she has basic LG phone (proprietary non Android OS), getting info from this phone is a real pain in the arse. So I can practice with current SE settings prior getting a phone for myself.

Thanks for help, awaiting further instructions.

[redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

kisianik

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Another question.
I just found manual firmware updates for 3GS to IOS 5 and IOS 6: 5 - [redacted]and 6 - [redacted]
And Instructions for manual upgrade for IOS 9, which looks like can be applied to my situation [redacted]
So,if I go this way, will I loose all my DATA, or, since it is not a CLEAN INSTAL, I can upgrade and have all my Contacts, Notes and SMS in IOS 5 or IOS 6.
This way seems to be nice, because IOS 5 has already option for iCloud support and I can sync iPhone with iCloud?
Am I thinking it wrong?

Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:

kisianik

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I can not install Gmail for IOS 4.3.3 - app requires at least IOS 8 and built in Gmail on iPhone 3gs is not accepting newly created Gmail credentials, WTF

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77