To Switch or Not to Switch

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Is this the year I finally give iOS and the iPhone a spin? Between having the ability to upgrade anytime at no extra cost 3 times a year, I think I may finally give the new iPhone a spin. Quick charging will be SORELY missed, but it sounds like the regular sized iPhone finally has respectable battery life. The stereo speakers were very unexpected (didn't think they'd utilize the earpiece as a second speaker like HTC, props to Apple) but incredibly welcomed. The camera is, as expected, up there with the best. The A10 Fusion is incredibly impressive. The water resistance is awesome. The headphone jack will be missed, but thankfully, I mainly use Bluetooth headphones and my car used Bluetooth audio and I have chromecast audio and video set up which is compatible with iOS anyways. AMOLED is still better but I guess Apple has plans for next year hopefully... IMessage is even cooler now with the extensions as well as maps (but I'm more of a waze/Google maps guy). Switching shouldn't be a concern since all of my Google services are on iOS (Google music and what not) and the moment a jailbreak drops I'd definitely jailbreak it to customize like an Android device.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but if I use iMessage and then switch back to Android, will I have a problem receiving texts? I remember hearing about people missing text messages after switching to Android because of iMessage. Considering that I have jump on demand and can upgrade frequently, it is definitely a concern of mine since I'll definitely be looking at the next Samsung, HTC and LG phones and would like to know that I won't have to worry about messages being lost in the ether.

I would love to hear some feedback from Android converts and long time iOS users alike!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the 6s and couldn't be happier. I was using ios 10 beta and it was OK but no real big changes. The 7 looks and sounds like a great device I just feel samsung did a great job with the edge compared to Apple. The camera on the edge is impressive better specs than apple and the screen size is much better.

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Also, would like to add that I wish the bezels were shrunk... That was disappointing and it simply makes the 7 plus too big for me to even bother with. Also, I'm very happy they increased the battery size, but they should've gone all out with the battery. The Galaxy S7 is very similar in size but has a bigger screen and a bigger battery (I know, the battery life is similar). Imagine if Apple shrunk the bezels and made a phone as small as the Xperia Z3 compact (it's about the size of an SE and has a 4.7in screen)? Or if Apple kept the similar bezel size but crammed in a 2500 or even 2800mah (I won't get my expectations too high) with quick Charging capabilities similar to the one plus 3 that wouldn't overheat the phone and damage the internals? An iPhone with even a 2500mah would have legendary battery life considering the screen resolution, software optimization, and so forth. If the iPhone 7 has such improved battery life (according to critics) with only a 1900mah, imagine the jump in battery life with a battery that's 2500mah or higher? With that big a battery (or even bigger) and regular usage, I wouldn't be surprised to see market leading battery life amongst mainstream phones. And before people say it's impossible, it's definitely not. The galaxy S7 is very similar in size, maybe a tad bit thicker, but has a much bigger battery despite being similar in size and packing so many other goodies. The old Xperia Z3 Compact has a 2600mah and is only marginally bigger than an iPhone SE. An even bigger battery is definitely possible and would be incredibly welcomed by literally everyone.

But why put in such a big battery when the battery life is good enough to last a day? Well because why not? And maybe I need my phone to last all day and then some. Music fests and late nights at the bars really test a phones ability to endure and as a frequenter of both I would become an avid iPhone user if a 2500+mah battery was added! Android would be in the rear view until they had phones with battery life comparable to an iPhone with that big of a battery.

Rant over... The increased battery life is very, very welcomed however. But I've always been the kind of guy to never settle for good enough. I want great. And Apple can easily achieve great with some re-engineering. Of course that means the iPhone will be a little heavier and maybe even minutely thicker, but compromises must be made. Why skimp when they could easily lead the market?

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely about the Edge. The Edge as well as the Note make me really question apple's decision to not cut down bezel size as well modestly increase battery capacity. It would've at least been nice to get a comically huge battery in the plus and the regular iPhone to match the comically large bezels. The S7 Edge has a huge battery yet it's still smaller than the 7 plus. The S7 is about the same size as the iPhone 7 but with a bigger screen and battery. The new iPhones have respectable battery life but aren't market leading. They could've easily one upped everyone else by putting in at least a 2500mah battery in the iPhone 7 and at least a 3300mah battery in the plus. But that would make too much sense and would, God forbid, add as much as .1mm to the phone and a few grams to the weight.

I sound like I'm only trash-talking though. I just don't like it when a company settles for decent when they could've blown everyone away. An iPhone with that big of a battery would last so long.

Specs wise, both phones are remarkable (minus the iPhone's gaunt battery in comparison). At this point in the smartphone game, real-world performance is all that matters and honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the flagships in that regard. IOS 10 has me interested though, and coupled with a jailbreak, it could be seriously awesome.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but if I use iMessage and then switch back to Android, will I have a problem receiving texts? I remember hearing about people missing text messages after switching to Android because of iMessage. Considering that I have jump on demand and can upgrade frequently, it is definitely a concern of mine since I'll definitely be looking at the next Samsung, HTC and LG phones and would like to know that I won't have to worry about messages being lost in the ether.

If you de-register your iPhone from iMessage prior to switching back to Android, you shouldn't have any problems receiving texts.

I'm moving to an iPhone 7 from Android (GS7e) for one reason: security updates. I'm stuck on the July security update because Samsung and/or T-Mobile won't get their acts together and roll out the September updates. I've read user reports that even Nexus owners haven't received them!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If you de-register your iPhone from iMessage prior to switching back to Android, you shouldn't have any problems receiving texts.

I'm moving to an iPhone 7 from Android (GS7e) for one reason: security updates. I'm stuck on the July security update because Samsung and/or T-Mobile won't get their acts together and roll out the September updates. I've read user reports that even Nexus owners haven't received them!

My bestie is going to switch from the Note 7 to the 7 Plus for that reason, plus the lag (yes, the Note 7 has more RAM, but what good it is if they have bad memory management. Plus, half of it is used only by running the phone on standby) and awful battery life (awesome screen, but crappy battery life. Related?).
Oh and she doesn't wanna burn her house down nor burn herself.

Although, she doesn't need a phone with bullet proof glass, 5G capable, 5K display, 13,000 mAh battery with an integrated coffee maker.
She just wants a pretty, easy to use snappy device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855