This year’s iPhones will not have hardware support for 3D Touch.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Had a 7. Now have an XR. I do miss it to be honest. Makes me feel better about getting the XR now that I know it’s going the way of the dodo though.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Any phone that has 3D Touch will still support it in some capacity BUT some of the behaviors have changed in iOS 13. For example, in iOS 12 a user could force press on a link in Safari to open a preview then press harder to open the link in a full window (referred to as “peak” and “pop”). In iOS 13 the preview pops up but pressing harder does nothing. Still, the user can press the center of the preview window to open the page in a full window. I’m assuming this is to provide a consistent experience between devices supporting 3D Touch and those not supporting it. The good news is that on a 3D Touch capable device you don’t get that slight delay after pressing until something happens like you get on other devices.
Not a huge fan of the new method and the (likely true) rumors that 3D Touch is being killed. I’m one of the few that used the feature frequently.

I remember 'peak & pop' as Blackberry terms :).. I guess we shall all see how the final build for iOS 13 shapes up against the Betas and whether user feedback from the testers at developer & public beta levels will be taken into account. Having said that, time draws nigh, and any engineering changes involving hardware / software interaction would be unlikely at best. I don't have quite as much 'XR envy' now having recently gone with my new 8plus, which was available at a very close price to it, albeit my older model 8Plus is 256Gb, the XR which was at very similar price, 64.
I'm looking forward to 'full time most app dark mode' and hope that iOS 13 doesn't complicate whatever incarnation of 3D touch which remains on capable and compatible devices

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would consider this a premium option and what we paid good money for. I don't like the fact this has been removed. It's as though Apple is taking away, but yet charging the same or more for a premium device. NOT happy.

I agree. It’s disappointing to say the least.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77