The official: Should I Buy an iPhone 3G Now Thread

Edwina#IM

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to start college in the fall and my parents gift is a new cellphone. I'm been thinking about smartphones a lot and decided that's the kind of phone I'd like. My school is wifi connected through campus.

I'm been thinking about either a BlackBerry or iPhone. I know that BlackBerry's are more business oriented, but I like the push email and physical keyboard. Browsing and multimedia however are not as strong.

I have a 1st gen iPod touch right now so I know pretty much most of the features of the iPhone. Plus, with the 3.0 update a bevy of improvements and features are sure to come. I have dozens of free and paid apps plus songs, photos, and videos. It's clear I appreciate my multimedia.

Should I consolidate both systems to make it one less device to carry? Or stick to a device that's new to me and will offer a different OS but great email capabtilities?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to start college in the fall and my parents gift is a new cellphone. I'm been thinking about smartphones a lot and decided that's the kind of phone I'd like. My school is wifi connected through campus.

I'm been thinking about either a BlackBerry or iPhone. I know that BlackBerry's are more business oriented, but I like the push email and physical keyboard. Browsing and multimedia however are not as strong.

I have a 1st gen iPod touch right now so I know pretty much most of the features of the iPhone. Plus, with the 3.0 update a bevy of improvements and features are sure to come. I have dozens of free and paid apps plus songs, photos, and videos. It's clear I appreciate my multimedia.

Should I consolidate both systems to make it one less device to carry? Or stick to a device that's new to me and will offer a different OS but great email capabtilities?

How's the cellular connection around your school? The first question you need to think about is where you will be using your device. If the cellular network of the device you have chosen is not acceptable, you will be carrying around an expensive brick.

You've indicated that you like a physical keyboard, and that browsing and multimedia are not strong drivers. You also mentioned that you already have an iPod Touch. Going to an iPhone may not meet your needs.

Your best bet should be to go the stores and check the devices out in person. How do they feel when you hold them; too big; how will you carry them; are you getting the device as a status symbol to be seen?

You can't go wrong with an iPhone or Blackberry (even a Palm Pre). The device will cost a good bit of money and have a recurring expense (voice and data charges).

Edwina#IM

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
3G is not well distributed around my home but city wise, my college is well connected.

I know data plans will add $30 for a personal plan with BlackBerry's.

But since I do have an iPod Touch, and I don't mind carrying two devices, maybe I should just go with the BlackBerry? I'll be upgrading in the fall and I know they should be some new devices by them.

Quaseem R.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
So will the 3.0 OS update for my 3G support video? Even if it's a little later in the summer? I'm on the AT&T network. Also do we get the maps update that the 3GS has?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77