Text Messaging Question

mtbrown75

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I am new to the iphone (coming from the Evo). When I send a text message to a group of people and they reply, why does everyone get their reply? With other phones the reply just comes back to me the sender. Is this normal on the iPhone 4 and is there any way to turn it off? When I send jokes or messages to a group of people, I don't want their replies going to everyone I sent to the text to.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. I had this same issue this past weekend. I posed silly with an M4 Carbine and sent it to my friends. My cousin in Washington replied and it went to all. It used to just go to me directly. I will continue to observe this as it used to reply straight to me in previous iOS versions.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
It's the group messaging feature on the iPhone 4, Probably all iOS4 devices. If you don't want that to happen try turning it off.

Settings, Messages, Group Messaging OFF

Last edited:

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
swooshme's advice is accurate. You can simply turn the feature off. But my question is if/why they would have this feature set to default. That's like having "reply all" as the default for group emails, which always causes a mess...

mtbrown75

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried doing that. And it is still doing it. Someone else just told me that there is no way to stop it. I hope they are wrong

It's the group messaging feature on the iPhone 4, Probably all iOS4 devices. If you don't want that to happen try turning it off.

Settings, Messages, Group Messaging OFF

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i think if its the continuation of a conversation it won't change

the setting change may only take affect once you start a new group conversation.

i personally like it has i can talk to my whole family for a birthday at once and its like where all together

An72

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I also experience the same issue before.. Good thing it was still under warranty that why I return it on my supplier.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I believe that's the whole point of "Group" conversations. It just keeps everyone in the thread like a regular text message convo on the iPhone. I like it but sadly, that doesn't seem to happen on my phone. When someone replies, I get their response individually, not collectively as a group conversation.

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
THe whole group thing isnt right, when you turn off group messaging all it does is change it so that you are no longer sending group text messages but instead even if you are just sending words it sends it as a group MMS.
I too have that problem and i've just learned to reply in a seperate text window

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28