Switching from a PC to an iMac

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been a PC user for the past 20+ years and have never owned or used a Mac. I recently played with the 27" iMac at my local Apple store and have fallen in love with it !! I'm 99.99% sure that I'm gonna buy one of these as soon as the 2011 version comes out this year.

I'm not thrilled about learning an entire new system / OS . . I'm pretty good with the PC / Windows, but excited nevertheless. I'm also not looking forward to the headaches of transferring all of my iTunes files to a new system (iPhone sync, apps, music etc....)

Question to those that have switched from a PC to a Mac:

1. How difficult was the transition and was it worth it?

2. How big of a pain in the a$$ is it to transfer files from a PC to a Mac? (All of my files are backed up onto a Seagate NTFS external hard-drive, including over 100gb's of music. Do I need to back up my data onto a different external hard-drive thats compatible with both PC and Mac??)

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
1. its not that hard at all. just got to be patient and be willing to looking into some things. not everything is all that different. for example the copy keyboard shortcut is ctrl c on a pc, and on a mac it is command c. and definitely worth it. i love my macs and i will never go back.

2. for me it wasnt hard. look up the specs for the hdd you have as i believe some are not able to be able to go between the 2 but you should be fine. and thats all i did is use a external hdd but then again i only transferred my music/videos.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
1. its not that hard at all. just got to be patient and be willing to looking into some things. not everything is all that different. for example the copy keyboard shortcut is ctrl c on a pc, and on a mac it is command c. and definitely worth it. i love my macs and i will never go back.

2. for me it wasnt hard. look up the specs for the hdd you have as i believe some are not able to be able to go between the 2 but you should be fine. and thats all i did is use a external hdd but then again i only transferred my music/videos.

Thanks for the advice Jason. Also, do you use safari on your Mac or a different browser? I love google chrome but if safari is better on Macs, I'd give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i use firefox. its more reliable for me than safari, or so it seems to me. but i also just like firefox's layout better. i use it on both my imac and my macbook pro

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i use firefox. its more reliable for me than safari, or so it seems to me. but i also just like firefox's layout better. i use it on both my imac and my macbook pro

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to the switch !

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I made the switch in December. Apple hardware has no equal. It's phenomenal. OSX, otoh, is nowhere near as intuitive or easy as Windows.

Moving the files from the pc to the Mac was relatively painless. But you don't have much control where things go in general. Even creating/using folders is a hassle. More often than not, you'll find me on the sofa with the Mac to my right, and my Wind netbook to my left.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch in December. Apple hardware has no equal. It's phenomenal. OSX, otoh, is nowhere near as intuitive or easy as Windows.

Moving the files from the pc to the Mac was relatively painless. But you don't have much control where things go in general. Even creating/using folders is a hassle. More often than not, you'll find me on the sofa with the Mac to my right, and my Wind netbook to my left.

Uh-oh! Sounds like you prefer windows/PC's over Macs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB