Stock Keyboard or 3rd Party Keyboard

Loren Sims

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I really like the stock keyboard with its word suggestions, buy I'm having a lot of fun with the new alternate keyboards included in the new version of Hanx Writer. When I have my iPhone un-muted, it looks and sounds like I'm typing on one of three real typewriters!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just came from Android after using it for about 10 years. The 6s is my first iPhone. I'm using SwiftKey, and haven't had any issues with it so far :)

If you have a non word you made by mistake, press on it in the predictive box and the option to delete that non word will come up.
728636594f42f51178e43fbd60c9c662.jpg

msyk5645

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I used to go back and forth, but SwiftKey has become perfect for me. Just can't envision going back to the stock keyboard.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I use Swype. The only feature I want that's not on the stock keyboard is the swipe typing. AFAIK, Swype is the only one that gives that, so none of the others are even worth my time.

Swiftkey also does "swyping". With better word prediction as well. At least on Android it's better, but it still swipes for sure on iOS as well. I tested it on my wife's iPad before I jumped from Android to iOS.

fatalpuls3

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The only reason i ever wanted a 3rd party keyboard was i want the dark keyboard that you see in spotlight search. I love that look. So then i started looking at swift key, swype and fleksy. The problem is Apples iOS implementation of third party keyboards is not that great. If you have stock, plus emojis plus 3rd party keyboard it acts wonky when you want to switch. Not only that it takes longer for the keyboard to come up but when switching to landscape view its not smooth and can have odd UI artifacts or unexpected results (in my experience iOS 9.0.2, iOS 8 all versions). I use to jailbreak literally just to use bloard for a dark keyboard but i wont do that anymore with apple pay being something i use.

jenskristian

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Android this year I've continued using SwiftKey on iOS. Sadly it's not as good as it's on Android, but I've kept using it due to the multiple language (at the same time) support, and the prediction/auto-correction. Hopefully Apple can make 3rd party keyboard support less buggy in upcoming versions of iOS.

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The stock keyboard for me. 3rd party keyboards always have that "3rd" party feel. They just don't seem to mesh well with the entire system.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Coming from Android this year I've continued using SwiftKey on iOS. Sadly it's not as good as it's on Android, but I've kept using it due to the multiple language (at the same time) support, and the prediction/auto-correction. Hopefully Apple can make 3rd party keyboard support less buggy in upcoming versions of iOS.

Welcome to iMore and Apple ...ENJOY the site

Nutcase4u

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Now that the jailbreak is out, if you were to jailbreak your phone then you could download a tweak that will resize your keyboard. It's called "HandyKey".
If you don't plan on jailbreaking then I'm not sure if there's another way.

LimonJoe

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Stock.
I used swiftkey for years on android and used it for a while when I first got my first iPhone. It works brilliantly, after a little time, I don't even have to type-I can just touch the predicted word. Great keyboard option but I'm using stock and it's almost as good; I feel like I can type faster with the apple keyboard.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I want to use Swiftkey but had gotten used to the "trackpad" 3D Touch feature of the 6S stock keyboard and unfortunately Swiftkey hasn't updated in order to take advantage of that feature. I still enjoy Swiftkey more though & hopefully their implementation will continue to get better.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Nintype is without a doubt the fastest keyboard I have used. Its two handed swiping which may take a little bit of time to get use to for some people but holy crap its blazing fast. Took me not even a day to love it back on the iPhone 5s (was a jailbreak tweak).

The app is rather robust and many uses requested a dummed down version of it, the developer said its a good possibility.

rluka

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Tried Swiftkey before upgrading my phone. I love the fact that it can handle multiple language that use latin-based alphabets. I use two.
But I returned to the stock now. The 3rd party keyboard works well, but I just can't handle the delay until the keyboard shows up and ready to use.

To be fair, the stock keyboard also have delay when I'm switching to 9-key Japanese input. But the delay is better than when switching between SwiftKey and stock keyboard.

Stock keyboard here.
Stock iPhone, stock car, stock radio, stock tires & rims... oh hey did I mention I like things stock
How about Stock Traders ? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77