Sporadic iTunes wifi syncing

creighton

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both my iPhone 4S and iPad2 set to sync with iTunes via wifi. Often everything works as it should. Occasionally, however, the iPhone and/or the iPad will disappear from the iTunes sidebar even though they are on and connected to the network. When this happens, going to the settings>general>wifi sync menu the device(s) shows the manual sync option grayed. It then takes closing and reopeningiTunes and sometimes rebooting the device for it to be recognized again. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? My wife has her iPhone and iPad both set to wifi sync with iTunes on her computer which is on a separate network setup for her home office. She has the same problem. Maybe it's just buggy right now and reliability will improve with subsequent iTunes and iOS updates.

Last edited:

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't even see my ipad listed in itunes unless i connect using the cable. My iphone synces fine but my ipad which is new doesn't want to connect to itunes by wifi.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't even see my ipad listed in itunes unless i connect using the cable. My iphone synces fine but my ipad which is new doesn't want to connect to itunes by wifi.

Probably this is a stupid suggestion, but when you connected via the wire did you check the box for the iPad to be able to Sync via Wifi?

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed both my iPad 2 & iP4 having intermittent connection also but I believe it has more to do with WiFi disconnecting when they are in stand-by. It's really noticeable when you unlock your iPhone when it is connected to WiFi, when the phone is first unlocked you will see 3G in the status bar for a few seconds before it re-connects to WiFi.

If either device disconnect WiFi then it can't sync.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Wi-Fi sync is not ready for prime time and I suggest you avoid it for now. I've had problems with it on a few iPhones and one of them the iTunes sync database got corrupted and I had to restore the iPhone.

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it has something to do with router brands. I had a Netgear wireless router and recently switched to an airport extreme router. I had the nothing but problems with the Netgear and none with the airport router.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I think it has something to do with router brands. I had a Netgear wireless router and recently switched to an airport extreme router. I had the nothing but problems with the Netgear and none with the airport router.

It's possible and it wouldn't surprise me if it worked best right now with an expensive Apple router, but if Apple wants Wi-Fi sync for the masses they will have to tweak it a bit so that it is reliable with routers other than their own brand. FYI, I had problems with Wi-Fi sync on a Mac with a Linksys router, a Win7 PC with a Belkin router and a Win7 PC with a Netgear router. It's not ready for prime time and not worth the hassle IMO.

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's possible and it wouldn't surprise me if it worked best right now with an expensive Apple router, but if Apple wants Wi-Fi sync for the masses they will have to tweak it a bit so that it is reliable with routers other than their own brand. FYI, I had problems with Wi-Fi sync on a Mac with a Linksys router, a Win7 PC with a Belkin router and a Win7 PC with a Netgear router. It's not ready for prime time and not worth the hassle IMO.

This is very true. The only other reason I switched is because of other problems I started having with the Netgear router. But hopefully apple releases a update soon to make it more reliable. This feature would be great if it worked flawlessly

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz