SMS Vibrate with no tone?

anonymous9348570

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was just curious if in iOS5, for SMS notifications, you caould have it vibrate with NO tone. And when I ask this, I am talking about when the phone is in NORMAL mode, not when the vibrate switch is on.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves with this phone on iOS4. Is I cant have my phone ring, and have the SMS vibrate, and NOT have a tone!!

Seems elementary, but an oversight.

Any insights.

Brandon

maaatter

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You can set custom vibration tones, but I haven't found an option to have it vibrate with no tone yet. Unless I'm over looking something. This is on B2, btw.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you assign different tones to calls and SMS tones? If so try using a silent tone for SMS. Both calls and SMS would vibrate but only calls would sound.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Massie is exactly right on iOS 4 you can do it easily in JB by assigning a blank tone to SMS. On iOS 5 you would still have to JB, you can use custom tones but you have to buy them. Hopefully this will change when it's released, free vs paid hmmmm. It doesn't matter to me because I wont upgrade until it's JBen anyway.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Can you assign different tones to calls and SMS tones? If so try using a silent tone for SMS. Both calls and SMS would vibrate but only calls would sound.

i have tried this when i was jailbroken and with iOS 5 beta.. does not work

i get a lot of sms messages during the day while at work and it gets very frustrating when i have to silent (vibrate) EVERYTHING just because of that

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This doesn't make any sense to me how could it not work:confused: If you change one of the tones with a theme and the sound is blank I don't see how that wouldn't work. I'm going to have to test it for myself tomorrow I already have a blank sound for my shutter sound so I'll just use the same file.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i used Audacity to create a silent tone and then put it in place of the sms_recieved6.caf. respring & reboot, no luck

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK you guys are over thinking this way too much or something. I just did it took me like a minute unless iOS 5 is different but I don't see why it would be. The objective is to have your phone vibrate with no sound when you get a text message, when you get a phone call it vibrates and rings like usual correct? You do have to be JBen however this is not something you could do with a vanilla phone atleast not right now that I know of.

You have to know two things there are two tones for Text messages. There is the assigned tone ie. Fanfare, Minuet, blah, blah, blah this is what plays when your phone is locked or the Messages app is not open. The ReceiveMessage.caf is for when the Messages app is open that is what plays so you can have two different tones for SMS messages which I have. So what you have to do is have a blank tone if you don't have one email me and I can send you a .caf file that is already blank. You create a theme to replace the OEM SMS tone I can tell you how to do that too by PM. You can also change the SMS received to a blank tone and then it will never make a sound just vibrate when you receive an SMS.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
interesting, i will have to give this a try the next time i am jailbroken

i'll never understand why this has not been a stock option.. maybe it will be

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
hey BLiNK PM me sometime I'll shoot you a link to the write up I did on it. It is an option in iOS 5 only it's so far a paid option LOL JB FTW :cool:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll do a screenshot and post it tomorrow.

Update
HaHa Apple has taken it out in beta 2. In beta 1 when you went into Sounds there were the usual list of sounds and at the top under Custom was a button "Buy tones" or something similar.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually, it is still there: "Buy More Tones" when you go into it then you can select/search for the desired tone

i found a "silent" tone, bought ($1.29) it and downloaded. unfortunately, it can only be used as a ringtone not an SMS tone

oh well, guess i'll have to wait and see if it will be an option once iOS 5 is released or the untethered JB for iOS 5. thanks for the help!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it is still there: "Buy More Tones" when you go into it then you can select/search for the desired tone

i found a "silent" tone, bought ($1.29) it and downloaded. unfortunately, it can only be used as a ringtone not an SMS tone

oh well, guess i'll have to wait and see if it will be an option once iOS 5 is released or the untethered JB for iOS 5. thanks for the help!

Yeah, I am really hoping that iOS5 brings additional/custom tones for SMS, etc.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I am really hoping that iOS5 brings additional/custom tones for SMS, etc.

It wont the list is already lengthy and Apple likes to keep things simple. So my bet is they will just use the stupid paid option. BLiNK you actually paid for it? You should just have waited formthe JB it wont be long after release the betas are already JBable.

What they should have done in iOS5 is have the official tones be editable. So I could delete all the garbage tones making the list shorter. Then your custom tones would just take the spots of the ones you delete.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nethtanyang