Smart Thermostats

brianlangevin

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After reading “Best HomeKit thermostats 2022“ we are missing a very important characteristic that none of the thermostats have. They don’t take into account the outside temperature. I have 3 ecobee stats and, especially when it’s really cold, they will not Smart recover based on my schedule. After researching other smart stats it doesn’t appear that any in the review do that. They use the weather reported temp which can vary quite a bit from the actual temp. I have to change the schedule to make up for it and then when it warms up that causes the house to heat up too soon. They also don’t seem to do a good job of learning the house thermal characteristics. I don’t care if it knows when I’m gone or what room I’m in.

Does anyone know of stats that do a better job at this?

Thanks - Brian

wpn00b

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve not ever seen this taken into account either. I believe HVAC systems have outside air sensors that take this into account but I’m not sure if that’s just a commercial machine thing or if smart thermostat companies make them for residential use.

Sounds like you have a remote room sensor with yours but thats for indoors of course.

Good luck. I couldn’t find much.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, that sounds like something that Nest thermostats are known for (except using actual measured outdoor temps - they just use what is reported on whichever weather service they use.) But, of course, without Homebridge (or similar) they aren't HomeKit. I've used Nest thermostats and smoke/CO detectors for years now, but just don't use any of the "smart" stuff, like sensing who is in rooms to adjust the temperature, etc. I just have scheduled settings and "Eco" settings that come into play when everyone has left the house. But Nest definitely seem to know how long it will take to heat or cool a room - at least mine does. If I make a manual change, it tells me it will take xx minutes to reach that particular temperature. Things like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77