Shouldn't We Call It "The Stepping Stone?"

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I hear a lot of complaints about "The Notch" on a variety of sites. As far as I can tell, Apple is just maximizing screen space, but with a clear longterm goal.
We all read the rumors about embedding the touch sensor and camera under the display. Apple wants a seemless display, and is setting things up for that. The Human Interface Guidelines are said to "embrace the notch (Grubber)," but I think they are preparing to phase it out.

Shouldn't we be looking ahead and calling it a "Stepping Stone" to the pure edge to edge design that Apple can't quite do yet?

I think everyone can agree that an all screen phone would look best and will be what eventually happens. The next iPhone will probably work to reduce the Stepping Stone, at least slightly, and so on. Apps won't have to update to accommodate the Stepping Stones to a perfected all-screen iPhone.

fairmarketvalue

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you give Apple too much credit. They abandoned Steve Jobs aesthetic guidelines to rush the X out and make some quick cash from fanbois willing to forgive anything Apple does.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think you give Apple too much credit. They abandoned Steve Jobs aesthetic guidelines to rush the X out and make some quick cash from fanbois willing to forgive anything Apple does.

I disagree. It was time for a change and that's what Apple did and is doing to prepare for the future just like with all businesses. Its amazing how people still use name calling in a conversation because a person prefers one brand over another.

fairmarketvalue

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
As a fanboy, are you offended or honored? I can't tell which. The fact remains that even if you substitute "fans" for "fanbois", the down and dirty resort to the "notch and ears" is completely contrary to the Apple ethos an experience Steve Jobs stood for and demanded of his company. I think that's been lost by current management. You are, of course, free to disagree, as I suspect you will.

rmaximo2

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
the down and dirty resort to the "notch and ears" is completely contrary to the Apple ethos an experience Steve Jobs stood for and demanded of his company. I think that's been lost by current management.

What basis do you have for this? I'm wondering why people keep saying this. Steve okay-ed some pretty fugly stuff.

rmaximo2

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
I think the notch is jarring at first, but I can see myself getting over it. Our brains have gotten so used to perfect rectangles for screens that when something like the X or the Essential Phone comes along, people freak out.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
As a fanboy, are you offended or honored? I can't tell which. The fact remains that even if you substitute "fans" for "fanbois", the down and dirty resort to the "notch and ears" is completely contrary to the Apple ethos an experience Steve Jobs stood for and demanded of his company. I think that's been lost by current management. You are, of course, free to disagree, as I suspect you will.

Steve would have made it skeuomorphic. :/

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site

Steve would have made it skeuomorphic. :/

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I think the notch is jarring at first, but I can see myself getting over it. Our brains have gotten so used to perfect rectangles for screens that when something like the X or the Essential Phone comes along, people freak out.

No need for things to be square. I'm looking forward to fully round edges. It's a good time to wait, imho.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeahWells