Should I Update to 4.1? *Undecided People*

fernandocruz

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I used to jailbreak all my iphones before, it was so damn easy. Now since the 3GS it's so difficult and changes so often that i stopped caring about the jailbreaking world.

Now, this is my scenario:

* I have an iPhone 4 with firmware 4.0.1
* It's not jailbroken
* I don't plan to ever (Unlock) my iPhone because i don't need it
* I only care about being able to jailbreak
* I desperately need update (4.1) to fix my Proximity Sensor

I just read that Jailbreak will be possible with 4.1 soon but that people should avoid the update if they don't want loose their unlock or jailbreak.

Since my phone is not jailbroken at the moment and i don't care about unlocking my phone, should i just update to 4.1 and wait for the new jailbreak(4.1) to be released?

Or does updating my baseband to 4.1 means that i will not be able to jailbreak again?

So basically I just need to know if someone with a Non-Jailbroken Iphone 4 with (4.0.1) and doesn't care about unlocking, can update to firmware 4.1 and still be able to jailbreak the phone when Jailbreak 4.1 arrives.

Please help me here people! I will greatly appreciate it!:eek:

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I used to jailbreak all my iphones before, it was so damn easy. Now since the 3GS it's so difficult and changes so often that i stopped caring about the jailbreaking world.

Now, this is my scenario:

* I have an iPhone 4 with firmware 4.0.1
* It's not jailbroken
* I don't plan to ever (Unlock) my iPhone because i don't need it
* I only care about being able to jailbreak
* I desperately need update (4.1) to fix my Proximity Sensor

I just read that Jailbreak will be possible with 4.1 soon but that people should avoid the update if they don't want loose their unlock or jailbreak.

Since my phone is not jailbroken at the moment and i don't care about unlocking my phone, should i just update to 4.1 and wait for the new jailbreak(4.1) to be released?

Or does updating my baseband to 4.1 means that i will not be able to jailbreak again?

So basically I just need to know if someone with a Non-Jailbroken Iphone 4 with (4.0.1) and doesn't care about unlocking, can update to firmware 4.1 and still be able to jailbreak the phone when Jailbreak 4.1 arrives.

Please help me here people! I will greatly appreciate it!:eek:

I think you've answered your own question.

A jailbreak for 4.1 is coming, probably soon.
To play it safe, you could:
-Jailbreak now with jailbreakme.com
-Download the PDF patch from Cydia (so your iPhone doesn't get hacked)
-use it for a week or two, waiting on the 4.1 jailbreak
-restore and upgrade if you can't stand the proximity bug any longer

This will save your shsh blobs on Cydia, and maybe give you an OS downgrade path in the future.

fernandocruz

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your answer but i'm just a bit scared because in every site i go it says: It's a trap, don't update if you wish to jailbreak.

I'm not in a hurry to jailbreak right now, i'm in a hurry to update to 4.1 right now. I just want to be 100% sure that if i update to 4.1 right this instant, i will be able to jailbreak it again when Jailbreak 4.1 is released.

I'm just making sure.

servanthands

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was going to ask the same question. The websites read like if you update to 4.1 you won't be able to jailbreak even after they release the jailbreak for 4.1. Also maybe I did it wrong but I just got a replacement phone and it had 4.0.1 on so I saved my shsh using cydia and tinyumbrella but it says it only saved for 4.0.2 so maybe I did it wrong but I think its to late to save 4.0.1. I upgraded to 4.1 so I hope the new jailbreak will work for phones that are not already jailbroken.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH blobs without jailbreaking now. Upgrade to 4.1 and see if you're happy. The jailbreak will probably be out for that within the next couple of weeks. If you change your mind and have to jb sooner you can downgrade because your SHSH blobs are saved for 4.0.1 if you've done this.

servanthands

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH blobs without jailbreaking now. Upgrade to 4.1 and see if you're happy. The jailbreak will probably be out for that within the next couple of weeks. If you change your mind and have to jb sooner you can downgrade because your SHSH blobs are saved for 4.0.1 if you've done this.

Maybe I did it wrong but I had 4.0.1 on my phone and saved my shsh blobs and it saved for 4.0.2 and said it could not save 4.0.1 because apple no longer offered it. This was yesterday I tried. And again I might have done something wrong but it seems pretty simple but it won't let me downgrade to 4.0.1 just 4.0.2.

fernandocruz

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
@pilonth

I downloaded Tinyumbrella and it says: " CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. "

It says: The following devices can be restored safely : iPhone 4 4.0.2 (8A400)

I have 4.0.1 .... so what's happening here? There's only SHSH saving for 4.0.2, which i don't have.

What should i do? Should i update anyways?

servanthands

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
@pilonth

I downloaded Tinyumbrella and it says: " CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 4.0.1 (8A306) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. "

It says: The following devices can be restored safely : iPhone 4 4.0.2 (8A400)

I have 4.0.1 .... so what's happening here? There's only SHSH saving for 4.0.2, which i don't have.

What should i do? Should i update anyways?

So im not alone. I went ahead and updated I couldn't take the proximity sensor. I'm not just hoping and waiting that the new jailbreak will work for me.

fernandocruz

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If i'm not mistaken, i'm basically screwed. If i update to 4.1 and i wish to downgrade later i won't be able to do it because Tinyumbrella for some reason won't save my 4.0.1 shsh anymore. Only for 4.0.2, which i don't have.

So i might as well just update to 4.1 for what it's worth and wait for a jailbreak because..

1) we know it's coming.
2) I can't stand the proximity sensor.
3) I can live without jailbreak until the new one arrives.

I'm just taking the risk of not being able to downgrade the firmware but everything else should be just fine i guess. I will have permanent unjailbroken iPhone with 4.1 until new jailbreak arrives.

Someone please inform me if i'm correct so i can proceed to update to 4.1 or if there's still a way to save my SHSH in case something goes wrong and i wish to downgrade.

white573

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
People who r worried about being able to jb in the future why not just jb w/ jailbreakme, save your blobs then update? It's a simple fix I don't understand the problem?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo