Should I trade my 3GS for a 4?

chesterhound#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the iPhone and really love my 3GS. I may have an opportunity to trade it in and pay an extra $80 to get a refurb iPhone 4. I don't really face chat or need the retina setup. Should I spend the extra cash or just keep the 3GS? Thanks for any advice.

chesterhound

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the iPhone and really love my 3GS. I may have an opportunity to trade it in and pay an extra $80 to get a refurb iPhone 4. I don't really face chat or need the retina setup. Should I spend the extra cash or just keep the 3GS? Thanks for any advice.

chesterhound

You're the only one that can answer that question. If you are happy with the 3GS, why go for an iPhone 4 five months before the announcement of the next model? Save the money and see if perhaps the newer phone would give you more features that would appeal to you. It is most probable, however, that the iPhone 5 won't support 4G/LTE.

I have always believed that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: chesterhound#IM

ek9max

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I would in a heartbeat. When the 5 comes out you will be able to sell the 4 for at least $80 more than a 3GS. So you get your money back and get to use the 4 till then.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Hold out for the next model. When it comes out and you don't want the latest and greatest then you can sell your 3GS on eBay for 100-200 and buy the 4 brand new at a discount.

chesterhound#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards keeping it. I am happy with the phone and it does everything I need it to and more. Is there a huge difference between the two? And I read that there were still some issues with the 4 such as reception and proximity sensor. Not sure if that's accurate but it seems the 3GS has the bugs worked out. Again, thanks for all the input and advice.

chesterhound

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards keeping it. I am happy with the phone and it does everything I need it to and more. Is there a huge difference between the two? And I read that there were still some issues with the 4 such as reception and proximity sensor. Not sure if that's accurate but it seems the 3GS has the bugs worked out. Again, thanks for all the input and advice.

chesterhound

Well outside of the Retina display, there are different points for the antenna on the phone that helps with call quality and reception as well as the HD camera. Though many have stated to use a bumper to help with the issues of reception.

I haven't got the 4 yet but have been doing my research as well. I have family members with it and I can tell the difference between the call quality compared to the 3G and 3GS.

Hope this helps you out.

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Like ek9max said, when 5 comes out, you can easily sell 4 for at least $80 more so you'll get your money back no problem. Seems like a good trade to me. But I'd probably just wait for 5 since you don't seem to be in a hurry anyway.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Do it ! Do it ! Do it !

Your just in iphone newbie nirvana, the 3gs is nice but the 4 is waaaay better.

It will sell for more when time comes, in 5 months when the 5 comes out the 3gs will be worth 40 bucks.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I would upgrade, and then sell the iPhone 4 when the 5 comes out, just like a few others have said. iPhone 4 is such a better phone. You'll enjoy it 10x as much as your 3gs.

chesterhound#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks everyone...I will decide this weekend. It sounds like I can't go wrong either way and I agree. Coming over from Sprint and the BB, either iPhone is leaps and bounds ahead of what I had.

chesterhound

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It will add much more than $80 in value. I would do it. 3GS is getting old

Yes, it is getting old, but as long as each new iOS release continues to support it, for many of us the 3GS is more than adequate. I recently switched from 3G to 3GS for the $49 charge, and that was a significant improvement.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The S is old news man, step your game up and get a 4.

Oh, the folly of youth, which we surmise by your user name. And when you become "old news" do we consign you to the dung heap of life? Old does not necessarily mean useless. There is still life and value in tried and true.

Simply put - if it still works for me, why do I need the latest and greatest at additional cost and complexity?

PS NO ONE is immortal, but you will learn that as you get older. LOL

Last edited:

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Since you love your 3GS, and "I don't really face chat or need the retina setup", then I suppose "now" you don't need the iP4, but as said, the 3GS is getting old, and the iP4 is more powerful, so that's worth to pay an extra $80 for an iP4...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burningroad